The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-04-2016, 04:22 PM

Default First acoustic build, in need of some help

Hey guys, I've been building an acoustic guitar, a cutaway dreadnought, flat top, left handed, and im stuck on some parts that i really dont feel i can do without messing up bad. I'm looking to find someone that can finish it up for me, its almost done, i'm looking for a luthier in the Boston area, anyone know of any i can get a hold of to hire to finish this up?

Right now to finish this, the nut needs slotting and gluing, the saddle needs to be slotted, the frets need some final hammering in (just a little) crowning and leveling, the bridge needs to be glued in place, and holes need drilling to put the strings in.

This was my first guitar build, i can't afford to mess up, any help is very appreciated guys.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:27 PM

While I cannot help with a name.

I totally support your choice and applaud you for it.

Having someone do the final setup work, who sets guitars up all day every day, has the potential to turn a good guitar into a great playing guitar.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 10-04-2016, 06:49 PM
AGF Sponsor

I think you sound overwhelmed by the number of incompletions. This happens easily with something as complex as a guitar. I advise tackling one issue at a time and completing it. Work to completion on each task before you go on. One fret rather than 20, for instance. All frets before the nut.
Old 10-05-2016, 06:40 AM

You've come this far why not just finish it? If you managed to get your neck angle right then the rest of what you need to do is not really that much more complicated then what you have already done to get to this point.

IMHO you don't need to slot the saddle either.

It sounds like you have already started the fret job but are unsure of your work. If the frets need 'final hammering' just give them a good whack and see if they set. If they keep popping out then you will need to glue them in.
Old 10-05-2016, 10:18 AM

Thanks for all the advice guys it really helps, i ordered a fretting hammer to finish hitting them in, and im not sure about my neck angle, its a bolt on so i imagine it should be right. Now after looking at my glue up with the top to the sides, i noticed that on the cutaway, where the curve is most extreme, it isnt adhered all the way, theres maybe an inch's worth of area that isnt. I used elmers wood glue, so i imagine i should be alright when i finally finish and string it up, right?
Old 10-05-2016, 10:21 AM

One bit of advice is to buy your fret wire from LMI, it comes pre radius'd in a loop, not flat like stewmac, this way you do not need to buy a bender for most fret jobs. Then once the wire is cut to length you will have a nice little rise in the middle and contact on each side, then all one need do is tap left, right center with some final little taps with the soft side of the mallet and Bobs yer uncle.
Old 10-05-2016, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobrien View Post
Thanks for all the advice guys it really helps, i ordered a fretting hammer to finish hitting them in, and im not sure about my neck angle, its a bolt on so i imagine it should be right. Now after looking at my glue up with the top to the sides, i noticed that on the cutaway, where the curve is most extreme, it isnt adhered all the way, theres maybe an inch's worth of area that isnt. I used elmers wood glue, so i imagine i should be alright when i finally finish and string it up, right?
Did you put a binding on the guitar? Pics would help convey what you are trying to describe.
Old 10-09-2016, 11:00 AM

So i was busy these last few days and i took some pictures to show what i mean, hopefully i did this right and you guys can get to the pics

http://imgur.com/a/iRFzi

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair