The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-09-2016, 07:28 PM

Default Soundport Plug

Hey guys I know there are at least two others on here that play the Blackbird Lucky 13 and myself of course.
The one thing on my guitar I was hoping to change is a way to stop the projection from the sound port on the top of the upper bout. At times I like it, and at times I find it bothersome and would prefer just the front sound hole.
I tried putting a piece of Duck Tape over the port to see how it would change and I really like it better for when I am strumming blue grass as it cuts the in your face volume, which this guitar has plenty of. When just couch noodling I take it off and all is good and mellow.
I wrote to Joe at BB and asked if they made a plug for the port, and he responded " no we do not, but sounds like a good idea", so I figured I would find some way to fashion one out of foam or whatever.
Well low and behold less than a week has passed and I get a mail from Joe, that he has designed and made a sound port plug for the L13 and I could get one sent to me right away!! WOW talk about customer service!
So any of you out there that would like a plug for the L13 upper bout just let Joe know, it will be 20 dollars including shipping.
I am really impressed with the quick responses and personal touch this company gives it's customers, and equally impressed with the guitar,,,,,,Jerry
Old 06-09-2016, 07:53 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Good for you Jerry!

It's really great being a part of a forum where the builders are so present, innovative and responsive, especially Alistair of Emerald, Joe of Blackbird and Rob of Journey.
Old 06-09-2016, 08:44 PM

Hey thanks, I made one out of foam too, it works ok but I have been searching from time to time at Lowe's, Home Depot etc. for something that might work.

I'll contact Joe.

Love my Lucky 13, had it over a year now and have no second thoughts, or G.A.S...

Blackbird Lucky 13
Old 06-09-2016, 10:40 PM

I just put a set of Elixer 80/20 Bronze Nano 12/53 , man what a change, it sounds like a jazz box. I had DAddario Costed EXP16's on it and it was much much brighter, think I like this darker sound better, less twang. Never had a guitar that changes it's whole personality just by changing strings,,so drastically.
This is a great instrument for vocal accompany.
Old 06-09-2016, 11:08 PM

Jerry, please try some Newtone PB Double Wounds. I have 12-52s on. Let me know what you think. I love them for their smooth, mellow sound, but would ike to hear more opinions from people who have tried other strings.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 06-09-2016, 11:14 PM

Thanks for the tip I will pick up a set and try them when these are spent, these strings now days are to expensive to change often. See how these fare over the next month...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber