The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-10-2003, 01:22 PM

Default Securing a hydrometer?

Does anyone know of a good way to secure a hydrometer inside the case? I've heard that in order to get a good reading it shouldn't be inside the compartment. Where is the best place to put it? I'm afraid if I just let it sit loosely it could damage the guitar. What do you think?

BTW, it's the Radioshack model with temp/humidity & min/max.

Old 04-10-2003, 01:28 PM

If you have a cutaway model put it where the cutaway is and put a rag or towel between the device and the guitar.

I dont have to worry about little hands getting a hold of mine so I leave them on the wall with a humidifier in the room.
Old 04-10-2003, 03:01 PM

Default Yup.

Since I have a cutaway 12-string (only one Taylor so far) this is exactly what I do. I loosely tuck it into the rolled-up strap that cccupies that space... it doesn't have room once the case is closed to hit against the guitar surface, but is loose enough that it gets pleanty of air. I heard someone used Velcro to attach one to the side. As TimmyPack mentioned, a rag or towel would work pretty well too, I think. And speaking of hygrometers and humidifying... I have the PW humidifier that I'm using, but it really seems to stretch the strings apart (at least on a 12-string) to the point where it looks like it can't be that good... Am I worrying over nothing? Does the Dampit take up as much "between the strings" room? So much to think about!

DJanzen
'06 52RI Tele
Old 04-10-2003, 03:20 PM

Quote: Does the Dampit take up as much "between the strings" room?
No, but the Dampit touches the wood, which I don't like, and the Dampit doesn't hold as much water. Finally, the Planet Waves is cheaper.
Old 04-10-2003, 03:51 PM

I found these great hydrometers called the Caliber II that have a magnet on the back. I just securred the other half of the magnet to the end of the compartment next to the heel of the neck. Works great.

Petros, Paragon, National, Martin, Rainsong, and Santa Cruz
Old 04-10-2003, 05:37 PM

I bought the exact same hygrometer and found the perfect way to secure it.

All you need is a little bit of velcro...

In the case, about the spot on the guitar where the neck would meet the body if it were in the case..., there is an area that the guitar does not touch. There is a 'cliff' of sorts after the part of the case that supports the neck stops. Right in that corner, if you velcro the Hygrometer in there, it will give a pretty accurate reading and will not come loose...NOTE: let the self-adhesive part of the velcro sit a little bit on the Monkey Butt material...it needs to set up for a little bit. Should be fine though.

The readings aren't 100% accurate however. I'm guessing because of the location, but I put water in my PW Hygrometer about every 3 days or so, and I have not had the humidity go up past 46%...average of about 42%. At least I hope it's not accurate...

If anyone can shed any more light on my humidity situation, it would help!!

If you need any further explanation of how ti install it, I can upload some pictures...just email me

[email protected]

Alex
Old 04-10-2003, 05:48 PM

I screwed mine directly to the lower side of the accessory compartment.....just below the base of the neck, so it sits perpendicular to the guitar....

works fine for me....it was actually a suggestion by somebody else...can't remember who to give the credit to.

'02 314ce-LTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor Poor
pipsqueak for President. The choice is clear.
"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all. ~ Michelangelo ~ (1474-1564, Italian Renaissance Painter, Sculptor) "
Old 04-12-2003, 03:45 PM

Thanks for the ideas everyone....Will the velcro stick to the monkey butt and still hold well enough? Did you use fasteners too?

This forum is wonderful! Everyone is so helpful!
Old 04-12-2003, 03:48 PM

The velcro seems to be holding fine...I haven't banged the case around too much, so you might want to watch out for that comming loose if you bang yours around.
Old 04-12-2003, 06:56 PM

I too tried the velcro approach, but after time it did come apart. The best thing to do and some may disagree is to fasten the velcro with a couple of tiny screws then I turned around and put some more of the the velcro material on top of the screw heads. (Just in case by some strange act of congress or the Clinton administration they did back out). I too have the radioshack model which I tested and it was dead on the money humidity wise. If you place it in the case about where the headstock rests and position it right you can push the little light and check the humidity without taking it out of the case. Hope this helps!
Old 04-12-2003, 09:05 PM
Luthier

Hot glue works real well(it survived the fight crew)

Woody Boyd
Luthier
"Home of the banjo eating HOG"
Old 04-12-2003, 11:03 PM
Charter Member

My wife found these great hygrometers that are square, 1/16" thick and slightly larger than a square quarter would be. Shows humidity and temp. Once velcro dot (the hook side) and it stays put. My starp holds it in place also, but it's so small and light that I doubt it would do damage even if it came loose, which is unlikely.

Where did she find them? The one place more concerned with humidity than a Taylor owner - a cigar shop.

Worry less about the guitars you want. Play the guitar you have more.
The answer will come, and it will not be what you expect.

A guitar is a tool, and a friend. But it is not the answer.

It is the beginning.

Current Guitars:

Taylor 716C Modified
Voyage-Air VAOM-04

CD: The Bayleys: From The Inside
CDBaby
Amazon
Also available from iTunes

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion