The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 12-13-2012, 12:09 AM

Default How does this pickup system for a nylon string sound to you?

So the K&K classical pickups thread has me searching around for good sounding pickups to put in a nylon string. As mentioned in that thread there are really mixed reviews for the K&K products out there. Some people love them, and some do not. Here is a video of someone playing one of the K&K PowerMix Trinity systems, which is one of their top of the line products. I want to know what you all think of how it sounds. Not to mention it is a pretty nice tune in the video. Here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROtT0FVn6_Y
Old 12-13-2012, 03:46 AM

i dont like it..not natural sounding at all!
Old 12-13-2012, 09:04 AM

I think the song is cool, and the playing is very nice! However, the sound isn't very natural (to me). It seems like it lacks warmth. It reminds me of every classical - electric setup I've ever played. Perhaps there is just nothing better than a well placed condenser mic.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:10 AM

He's got so much reverb I can't really tell what the guitar sounds like ......
Old 12-13-2012, 10:35 PM

Is that reverb or the sound of the hall?

I guess the difficulty in evaluating the sound of this guitar/pickup setup is separating the sound of the guitar and pickup from the way it was recorded and the effect of the hall, etc.

One thing I will say, the guy has pretty awesome technique and the song rocks. So, I'd say the performance transcends the equipment...he sounds great!

Having said that, I don't think I personally could determine how well the pickup performed. Doesn't seem as boomy as the K&K's I've had in my guitars. Almost has a piezo UST sound actually. If you listen carefully, there is almost a little quack present...maybe that's just my ears.

Whatever the case, I wish I could play like that guy. If I could, I'm pretty sure the guitar and pickup wouldn't matter all that much.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:28 AM

I really think that the reverb being heard is the hall and not some setting he has on an amp/mixing board. For those of you who don't like it please post a video of a pickup in a nylon string that you do like the sound of, as I'd love to know what all you fine folk think sounds great in a nylon, if there is such a thing as a pickup sounding great in a nylon.

Livingston, I think the small amount of quack that is heard is probably from the FanTaStick under saddle pickup that is part of the PowerMix Trinity system. The cool thing is that you can just turn the volume down on that particular pickup if you don't want it in the mix.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical