The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 12-03-2012, 01:51 PM

Default Getting my guitar back up and running

I normally play steel-string electro-acoustics (see sig) but I learned to play classical guitar as a youngster many years before, with a big gap before I came back to my current guitars to play chords.

I recently found my first guitar, 20 years old, when visiting my parents and rescued it. It doesn't seem in too bad nick other than the strings being similarly ancient but I really know nothing about classical guitars anymore - I have no idea what strings to buy for instance.
I'm not even 100% sure it counts as a nylon stringed guitar as the bottom 3 strings are clearly wire-wrapped!

Any tips for how to get started?
Old 12-03-2012, 04:51 PM

What's the model of the guitar? Chances are that it's a classical that someone decided to put steel strings on the bottom 3 strings or it's an acoustic that someone put nylon strings on the top 3 strings.

First thing, find out whether it is a classical or acoustic and put the right strings on.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:28 AM

It's a "Jose Masy Mas" Valencian [style] Spanish guitar, the large head and wide neck make me sure it's a classical guitar.
I don't know the bottom strings are steel strings, don't you sometimes get wire-wrapped nylon strings?

http://www.acousticguitar.com/ubbcgi...c;f=7;t=011752
http://www.classicalguitardelcamp.co...t=9033&start=0
http://www.acousticguitar.com/ubbcgi...c;f=1;t=031136

Nothing fancy, but it would be nice to try it with new strings - but how do I choose strings for a classical/spanish guitar, I know literally nothing about strings apart from buying steel-string sets of 10s, 11s, 12s, etc.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd View Post
I normally play steel-string electro-acoustics (see sig) but I learned to play classical guitar as a youngster many years before, with a big gap before I came back to my current guitars to play chords.

I recently found my first guitar, 20 years old, when visiting my parents and rescued it. It doesn't seem in too bad nick other than the strings being similarly ancient but I really know nothing about classical guitars anymore - I have no idea what strings to buy for instance.
I'm not even 100% sure it counts as a nylon stringed guitar as the bottom 3 strings are clearly wire-wrapped!

Any tips for how to get started?
What you have there definitely looks like a classical. The bass strings on a cl.guitar are always an alloy wrapped around nylon core, but it looks like you have folk strings on it. If you would like to play with nylon strings, then I suggest D'Addarrio ProArte strings and perhaps just normal tension. If you would like to keep the steel string vibe but play on that guitar, Thomastik Infeld makes a steel string specifically for nylon guitars, KF110 model.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:42 AM

I don't really know what the differences would be, but since I've got two steel string acoustics I might as well use 'normal' classical strings.

As far as tension, I noticed the current ones (well the top 3 nylon-only ones) bend A LOT - it's like playing a ukulele! Not having played this type of guitar for decades, that's normal right?
Old 12-04-2012, 10:57 AM
Guest 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd View Post
I don't really know what the differences would be, but since I've got two steel string acoustics I might as well use 'normal' classical strings.

As far as tension, I noticed the current ones (well the top 3 nylon-only ones) bend A LOT - it's like playing a ukulele! Not having played this type of guitar for decades, that's normal right?
I second the reccommendation of D'Addario Pro Artes. Nylon strings are by nature at less tension than steel strings, so the "bend" is normal, though granted feels abnormal if you're used to steel strings. I personally prefer the higher tension and volume of high-tension nylon strings. I also tune down a whole step, so pretty much need high/extra high tension strings. Try a set of the Pro Arte in both tensions and decide:

EJ45 (Normal Tension)
EJ46 (High Tension)

Also keep in mind that nylon strings take much longer to "settle" (keep in tune) than steel strings. Usually a few days. They are much more sensitive to changes in environment.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:00 AM

Thanks! I quite like bending, but I have to focus on NOT doing it - maybe the steel string has given me bad habits on fingering because you don't have to make sure to press directly from above, whereas with the nylon strings they bend with the slightest side-ways pressure!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical