The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-07-2017, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post

Do they make strictly amp model type things? I see a lot of effect units that have speaker/amp/cab models in them but I have my own effects. So if worse came to worse I'd just want something very stripped down and simple like a Fender Twin model that I could plug my effects pedal board into then off to the PA. I don't really want to do it, and probably won't, but it, would be a slight compromise.
You should try to look into something like the Tech 21 Character Series Blonde (amp sim pedal). It should meet these criteria, and it gets a lot of good reviews. Will it feel the same as your Fender Twin? Most probably not. Will it be a compromise that you and your band members could live with? Maybe.

I am using a similar setup in our band (Tech 21 RK5 FlyRig), and it works for us.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:26 PM

I will preface this by saying I know almost nothing about modelers but have played in a full lineup band (WAY back in the day).

I'm befuddled by the bands insistence on this.

The "Extra" gear is near nothing to use a good guitar amp.

What's the difference between using one space on the board for a mic'ed amp versus using a modeler? An XLR vs. a 1/4"? How much space for a tube amp - 2 sq. ft.?

On the other hand and on the debit side - no tube amp, crummy tone. Unless you go with a super high end solution like a $2300 Kemper???

Even if you go with a small tube amp with an emulated mic out (like a 1 watt Blackstar) - whats the difference in complexity of setup and the stage footprint - nearly zilch.

I agree with Steves post #9 - you need a new band.

Friends don't let friends play electric guitar through anything but a great sounding tube amp.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 02-09-2017, 12:35 PM
Charter Member

Then don't do it.

I've had to play a gig recently at a venue that requires no amps on stage. Ran my pedal board into their tube preamp, since I play with a clean sound w/ a little amp grit I don't have a problem.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:31 AM

Well so far since we all don't have the break out boxes yet we have been all using our amps and I'm liking it.

But just for fun I started playing around with a few things. I've got a Korg processor that I've had for years but never liked and I also have a Boss/Roland Br-600. That's an 8 track recorder with loads of COSM models in it. Interestingly what I found is that the models sound much better through my Fishman Artist Loudbox acoustic amp then through my Mesa Boogie. I guess it's because the Fishman is basically a PA? Anyway I was quite surprised how good some of the models sound right out of the BR-600's headphone jack to the acoustic amp.
Old 03-03-2017, 06:30 PM

I played with a praise band a couple weekends ago, brought in my old Ampeg B15 bass rig. No PA for me, drums all fake-set into PA, lead guitar pedal board thru PA, lovely old Gibson acoustic, wonderful front line. Spent the weekend wanting to bring in my stripped-down tele and DrZ Maz8........

OP, please stick to your guns. Show them what analog can do.

*everything* is a tone control
Old 03-03-2017, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
You need a new band...
^^^This seems to be the best suggestion for you.

Ampless is convenient, true, and in some situations - if you have a good sound guy and a strong PA - can actually sound very good, if you are using a well executed modeling head like a Kemper. But ampless can also easily sound too sterile and improperly leveled, in situations with incompetent sound guys and/or insufficient PAs.

Your old band seems to be infected with quiet performance syndrome, which is fine if one is playing a praise palace, but a good honky tonk and party band should sound sweaty and greasy, not sterile and ball-less. If you feel that this is the way your old band sounds now, I'd definitely be looking elsewhere, somewhere where you can let your amp bark.
Old 03-05-2017, 01:15 PM

Unfortunately, DEM is taking over real sound.
Old 03-12-2017, 06:47 AM

Going ampless is not a bad thing.

Digital amp modeling has come a LONG way over the past few years. I made the switch from traditional tube heads/ cabinets/ pedalboards to a Kemper profiler about two years ago and haven't looked back. Best tone I've every achieved, and most importantly it's inspiring to play through.

My current band is all direct into the PA (triggers for the drums and cymbals, bass is direct along with my guitar) and the significant drop in stage volume really lets us fine tune the volume for the venue. If I could get everyone else using in ear monitors (currently it's just me), we could go to almost zero stage volume. Regardless, we always get compliments on our sound and sound levels.

There are less expensive options out there that sounds REALLY good- the Amplifire is a real standout, for example. Buying used is also a solid option.

Good luck!
Charvel San Dimas
Kemper Profiling Amplifier
Old 03-20-2017, 02:39 PM

I'm going to amend my earlier comments a bit. Lately I've been jamming with a very good electric player. He's really got his tone together. To keep things controlled onstage (he runs pretty hot level-wise), he's been placing his amp off stage in a back room, mic'd. The sound is surprisingly good! Again, nothing can sub for a good PA and engineer, but it was the first time I've experienced a pleasing stage amp sound without the amp present. Going the all analog, off stage route, I think it's really important to have the tone nailed down and mic'd properly. Above average monitoring options too.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars