The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 04-07-2010, 01:22 AM

Default La Patrie's

Any love for these around here? I'm in the market for a nylon string, though I don't play classical. Are these bridges bolted on? Looks like there are two pearl screw covers on the bridges (from the looks in pics).
Old 04-07-2010, 08:43 AM

If you do not play classical, consider the new Cordoba GK studio. It has a reasonable cost, more or less like a medium-high level La Patrie, and sounds incredibly well.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:30 AM

I have no idea about the bridge, but I've heard my wife play just about every La Patrie model available when she decided that she wanted a classical. We're both Godin & Seagull fans, so La Patrie was a logical choice.

La Patrie offers well-made instruments at good price points, but I wouldn't say that any of them has outstanding sound. If you wanting a classical for occasional playing, nothing serious, then the LP is a good choice. If you decide to take nylon string playing more seriously in the future, you might find the La Patrie models lacking.

I'm not saying that La Patries are bad (they're not), they just don't have the quality of tone & projection that you'll notice in better classical/nylon string guitars.

Taylor 414e Ltd Claro Walnut__Takamine EC132C__Larrivee 000-40R__Yairi WY-1__Alvarez PJ85SC-DVS & PJ85SC-12DVS, RB30SC__Guild GAD-JF48__Seagull Model 12, S12, S6+ Folk, M4 Spruce__Ibanez AW-25 (12s), PF5CENT __Olympia OD?, OP2__Hohner Morena-HAM 712 mandolin__Flight Ukulele__Yamaha Guitalele
Old 04-07-2010, 09:30 AM

I have had a Motif for about a month. It has great tone and is pretty easy to play. Another nice thing is the Parlor size to the thing. I really don't have any negatives on it.

I just purchased a Yamaha NTX 700 which is a cross over nylon string. It includes electronics which I in all likelyhood will not use, but I wanted a full size nylon and this was superior to the others I tried in tone and playability. I like the thin line body and the slightly lower neck; it also doesn't look like a classical in many respects which is both a + and a -. It was also more $$$ than the Motif and the tone is mayby not $$$ better. I would say go play some of the La Patries and then decide. The reviews on the Etude are really good and it is the same price as the Motif. Good luck on your search.

Guitars:
A few, but on the hunt for the "one"
Old 04-07-2010, 10:00 AM

When I was looking for a nylon string I tried the La Patrie crossover. I have always thought that Godin makes a value guitar.

I will say I was disappointed in the La Patrie, it had gotten very good reviews but the one I played sounded 'over built'.

I was much more impressed with the Cordoba guitars in that price range.

ymmv

Jack

1975 Mossman Great
1995 Taylor LKSM-12
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GC
2008 Applegate C Nylon Crossover
Fender Stratocaster - Eric Johnson Model
Nyberg Cittern
2011 Eastman AC508M
2012 Epiphone ES339
Old 04-08-2010, 05:51 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone, greatly appreciated. Sounds like the La Patrie's are a mixed choice. I will find some to play and play the Cordoba's as well as others too. I'm just really looking for a not as deep neck profile that more traditional classicals can have. Thanks again to all.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:38 AM

One thing to think about when you look... The LaPatrie will have a full 2 inch neck, but a fairly shallow profile. The Cordobas will have either a 2 inch or 1 7/8 inch neck, depending on whether it is classical or hybrid. When I was looking I was very concerned about getting something with no more than 1 7/8 width. After playing a number I came to the conclusion that the profile of the neck (how deep it is) not the width was more of an issue. Nylon strings will move around more under your fingers so having a the strings a little farther apart can be a real advantage.

Let us know what you find.

Jack

1975 Mossman Great
1995 Taylor LKSM-12
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GC
2008 Applegate C Nylon Crossover
Fender Stratocaster - Eric Johnson Model
Nyberg Cittern
2011 Eastman AC508M
2012 Epiphone ES339
Old 04-08-2010, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawk View Post
One thing to think about when you look... The LaPatrie will have a full 2 inch neck, but a fairly shallow profile. The Cordobas will have either a 2 inch or 1 7/8 inch neck, depending on whether it is classical or hybrid. When I was looking I was very concerned about getting something with no more than 1 7/8 width. After playing a number I came to the conclusion that the profile of the neck (how deep it is) not the width was more of an issue. Nylon strings will move around more under your fingers so having a the strings a little farther apart can be a real advantage.

Let us know what you find.

Jack
Good point, thanks for the tip...
Old 04-20-2010, 06:53 AM

I do not have a refined ear and often times have difficulty distinguishing any great quality difference between various steel string guitars; I have heard $500 guitars that, to me, sound as good as some $2,000 guitars. However, differences in quality of tone between various nylon string guitars is glaringly obvious even to me. In my opinion, if you are considering LP and the various other offerings for under a grand, you are just as well to consider the very reasonably priced Yamaha student guitars. I own an LP Etude, a Yamaha GC111C, a 63 Gibson C-1, and a Pavan TP30. The Pavan sounds brilliant while the others sound, to about the same degree, much less so.

LP Etude did include one of the best gig bags I have ever owned. If I ever sold the guitar, I would try to keep the gig bag.
Old 04-24-2010, 02:08 PM

Default Hybrid

I bought a LaPatrie Hybrid and it's amazing. I've tested it against Cordobas, Guilds, Yamaha's and others haven't found a guitar that's comes close to what my LaPatrie sounds like.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical