The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-23-2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
Why, if Hamlet knows from his father's ghost almost right off that he needs to seek revenge, does it take a whole play for him get around to it?
Ah but ghosts? Are they real or is he crazy? And if they are real, do they tell the truth? It takes him a while to conclude that he needs a way to verify what the ghost has said, hence the play within the play. "Aye the plays the thing whereupon I'll catch the conscience of a king." By the time he sets up the play and figures out the ghost is correct it's Act III, scene ii. From there its downhill to the sword fight.
Garcia #2 classical
Cordoba C10 Luthier Series
Tacoma Olympia OB3CE acoustic bass

"I don't care what style you want to play. If you want to master good guitar tone, master preparation, attack and release first." ~ Paul Guma
Old 03-23-2017, 08:50 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Quote:
I've always thought that almost every scene in Hamlet (spoiler alert:the death scenes of Polonius and Ophelia, and the final scene are exceptions that come to mind) can be played comedicly. Someday I'd like to see a performance that takes that approach to the max.

I'm not saying to play Hamlet usuriously--but Hamlet is a smart young kid, he's just come back from college at the source place where all that was most serious in Western Europe has been questioned (Wittenburg), and he's pretty sure that the adults back in Elsinore have screwed everything up. His reaction is to distrust and satirize everything, including himself.

The ghost scenes on the castle walls, I once wondered, could they be played with Hamlet and Horatio tipsy and with an undercurrent of both of them yanking each other's chain about who's more scared or credulous about ghost. This helps with the central problem with the play. Why, if Hamlet knows from his father's ghost almost right off that he needs to seek revenge, does it take a whole play for him get around to it?

You son may be trying to tell you something!
Great points!
Old 03-23-2017, 08:51 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondoraymundo View Post
Ah but ghosts? Are they real or is he crazy? And if they are real, do they tell the truth? It takes him a while to conclude that he needs a way to verify what the ghost has said, hence the play within the play. "Aye the plays the thing whereupon I'll catch the conscience of a king." By the time he sets up the play and figures out the ghost is correct it's Act III, scene ii. From there its downhill to the sword fight.
Good call. I think the ghost is real, and have heard it's been played by the author himself. All interesting points
Old 03-24-2017, 08:19 AM

I grew up in Stratford, Connecticut. Does that count?
Old 03-24-2017, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick View Post
Good call. I think the ghost is real, and have heard it's been played by the author himself. All interesting points
That's an old rumor. I've always liked it.

Problematically, one cannot be sure where the ghost came from. He alleges he's in purgatory. (Which ain't still a part of official doctrine in Shakespeare's England.

But one doesn't get out of purgatory by asking your son to kill your brother.

I'm thinking that a lot of audience members may have sympathized with the ghost--he didn't get his last rites. The closet Catholics in the audience would empathize.

I think Shakespeare was a Catholic, btw.

Optima dies, prima fugit
For Sale: Larrivee P 01Khttps://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...49#post7433849
Old 03-24-2017, 08:54 AM

Hold it, I just checked my Fender Princeton amp, and it has an Oxford speaker!

Hamlet. Prince of Denmark. Coincidence or secret signature? I smell Edward De Vere's hand in this. Leo Fender was a ignorant radio repairman. Some say he couldn't even play guitar! There are no records he ever traveled to England. Only a university man could have the wit to create such a nice little combo amp.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 03-24-2017, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hold it, I just checked my Fender Princeton amp, and it has an Oxford speaker!

Hamlet. Prince of Denmark. Coincidence or secret signature? I smell Edward De Vere's hand in this. Leo Fender was a ignorant radio repairman. Some say he couldn't even play guitar! There are no records he ever traveled to England. Only a university man could have the wit to create such a nice little combo amp.
I vote this best post of the day.

Optima dies, prima fugit
For Sale: Larrivee P 01Khttps://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...49#post7433849

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic