The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-02-2024, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
Of course I "practice" unobserved. Who the hell wants to hear me practice!
'Zackly! But in a small house it means I don't get much practicing or writing done.
Old 02-02-2024, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCCougar View Post
Yeah, I don't do it too often these days but I got no problem playing in front of people or jamming with others. But I'm kind of inhibited just playing for myself, trying stuff out, if someone in another room can hear, if you know what I mean. It's sort of like baring my soul.
That's my problem. I love playing with people, and playing for people can be fun, too. But working things out with someone listening distracts me intensely, even if they're not making a sound.

Any suggestions other than get over it?
Old 02-02-2024, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostnote View Post
I wouldn’t call it a barrier necessarily, but I do by far the majority of my playing alone. Practicing, writing, recording, learning new things - all done mostly unheard by anyone but me. It’s just the easiest, best way to do those things. If I’m playing with someone or for someone, I’m going to be playing stuff I already learned - alone. Unless it’s a band practice where we have to learn to play something together, I don’t like learning things on the spot.
Have any solutions or strategies for getting over it?
Old 02-02-2024, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawmow View Post
Alone in my music room is my way…
Can I have your music room?

=O]
Old 02-02-2024, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
[size=2]Hi Charlie…
We raised 4 boys (2 pairs…but 10 years apart). So for 25 years I practiced after the family was in bed (after 10pm).
My wife hates that. Small house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
I was also the boss, so I'd go to my office and practice sometimes late at night or on weekends.
Retired. No office to go to.

When the weather is nice, sometimes I go to the park or sit out in the yard. Other ideas?
Old 02-02-2024, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
In the "olden days" I used to practice when wifey was present and ask here for her comments (which were often -"too fast" or "you are singing too high".
Now, for reasons I'm unsure of, I wait until I'm alone.

One reason , as I suspect I'm more of a performer, I also practice the spoken introduction, so you could hear me practising the intro story to my songs. It helps draw my audiences into the song story.
Heh heh. I practice intros, too. Playing the guitar while talking is trickier than it might seem.
Old 02-02-2024, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
We used to call it "woodshedding," . . . .
Still do. If only I had a woodshed!
Old 02-02-2024, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
I have a place I can go, a "cave" if you will, where I can shut the door, and be totally isolated.

it's perfect.
I have a basement grotto (a.k.a. the Oxford Conservatory of Music), but it's dank and milldewy, and my wife doesn't like me wasting electricity heating it.
Old 02-02-2024, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
Tinnitus put that line in another post, and it occurs to me that it's the only way I like to practice. Playing with people and playing on stage are fun, but when I practice or write songs, I have a real hard time getting into it when I'm not alone.

How about you? And if it's a barrier for you, too, do you have any ways to get past it?
Yes. That's a me too! When I picked up singing and playing guitar again after a long break (1993) I rehearsed in front if my greatest fan and most incisive critic - Mrs Moustache!

However, nowadays I feel I need to be alone.

Nanny Jane and I were talking about this and I can't really say why - apart from I always practice the way I'll introduce songs as well and that gets repetitive.
Old 02-04-2024, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
Have any solutions or strategies for getting over it?
Well, in a word, no. I don’t think of it as something to get over, but I guess it could be seen that way. Long ago, before I’d done lots of gigs, I’d get nervous about everything performance-related. At some point I realized that the time to be nervous is before you accept the job; while you’re still thinking about it. Once you know you’re going to do it, worry is the enemy and has no place at the gig. The best way for me to not be nervous is to know the material completely. If you’re relaxed and friendly, the audience will see it and feel it and everyone will have a better time. People at an event want to like you, mostly, so I just try to be likable, and play every song like it’s an audition.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write