The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-22-2024, 02:38 PM

Default Bad practise method / wasting of recording time / but a great sounding guitar

It's been over a year since I changed the strings on my D-35, and coupled with a good bout of ~30% rel humidity, it's sounding great! So I figured I'd get a good recording of it to 'prove' how good it is right now. I picked a song that suits the strings (cowboy chords / first position) and practised it for a few days, then sat down to record.

It's amazing how much the 'pressure' of recording pushes me into making errors that I don't make when practising. Or perhaps it's that when I practise I don't notice the glaring missed notes / bad timing etc.

2 minute tune, 7 run throughs at performance speed straight after each other, mistakes in each one (that I noticed as I played but ignored), and I kept hoping the next playthrough would be better.

What I really shoulda done is spotted the areas for improvement (little slide up to the E note, the middle G section (timing and strumming), D# pull off later on), quit after a couple tries, and done some slower practise of the poor sections.

But the guitar really sounds great right now!

Tom
Old 01-22-2024, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

A dreadnought and a flatpick are good friends tonal wise and it sounds that way in the recordings. Congrats.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 01-22-2024, 03:46 PM
Get off my lawn kid

That sounded really good to me. I wouldn't have been able to guess at the age of the strings.

I record in a different area of my house (basement) than my daily practice spot (main floor office). That change of "venue" does affect my playing initially, so I have to sit and "practice" for 10 minutes or so before I turn the red light on.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 01-22-2024, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
A dreadnought and a flatpick are good friends tonal wise and it sounds that way in the recordings. Congrats.
Thanks Derek!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
That sounded really good to me. I wouldn't have been able to guess at the age of the strings.

I record in a different area of my house (basement) than my daily practice spot (main floor office). That change of "venue" does affect my playing initially, so I have to sit and "practice" for 10 minutes or so before I turn the red light on.
Thanks Barry!

I usually change strings as soon as they get dull, but I left these on as an experiment. Also, old strings don't usually hold their tuning, but these are doing just fine.

I often practise in the same seat/location I record in, so I can normally jump right in (if I've put the work in beforehand, of course!)
Old 01-22-2024, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post

Heh heh. I recorded in my basement for a couple of years before the pandemonium, and it's my voice that's affected. When I record, my voice is soft, low, and even. When I perform, my voice is brash and exuberant. Doesn't even sound like the same person.

Go figure.

------------

PS - Thank you for not saying it impacts your playing!
Old 01-22-2024, 08:54 PM

You bet it does, Tom!!!! Love your picking!!!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 01-23-2024, 03:45 AM
Charter Member

You play really well, better 'n me! Your guitar sounds terrific; I think I will get out my D-35 and put new strings on, it's been even longer than yours, it is neglected lately.
Old 01-23-2024, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post

You bet it does, Tom!!!! Love your picking!!!
Thanks Fred - sometimes I feel like I'm getting somewhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveMusic View Post
You play really well, better 'n me! Your guitar sounds terrific; I think I will get out my D-35 and put new strings on, it's been even longer than yours, it is neglected lately.
Thanks! Yes - get it out and play it. I think mine's sounding great because I've been playing it an hour a day for the last month - but think of the poor other guitars that are feeling left out!
Old 01-23-2024, 09:54 PM

Nice job on that, the sound was pretty full range and I did not hear either diminished treble or decreased sustain that I was expecting.

I have hands/oils that age strings faster, so my record is 3 months - but they don't sound as good as this!

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 01-26-2024, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
Nice job on that, the sound was pretty full range and I did not hear either diminished treble or decreased sustain that I was expecting.

I have hands/oils that age strings faster, so my record is 3 months - but they don't sound as good as this!
Thanks Gordon!

usually I have to ditch strings after 3 months too, often due to the fact they get worse at staying in tune. But this set keeps on going!

Tom
Old 01-27-2024, 10:29 PM

I hear no problem with any of that - I wish I could sound like that every time. Great stuff. I’m a guy who tends to leave strings on for quite awhile, too, and not for any logical reason - I just do. I don’t notice a lot of deteriorating until that one day when I play one chord and realize, “it’s time.”
Old 01-28-2024, 12:34 PM

Thumbs up

Wow! For older strings they still have a great sound!
(Good playing, by the way!)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write