The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-03-2016, 09:37 AM

Default fret repair

I bought a used Alverez that has 3-4 small indents on the upper first 5 frets from the b string being pressed into it. Is this a problem to fix. It plays ok, will it cause a buzz or other issue? thanks
Old 11-03-2016, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy Beans View Post
I bought a used Alverez that has 3-4 small indents on the upper first 5 frets from the b string being pressed into it. Is this a problem to fix. It plays ok, will it cause a buzz or other issue? thanks
This sounds like normal fret-wear. If there is enough "meat" left on the frets, they can be levelled and re-crowned. If there is not enough meat, the frets can be replaced (partial or full).

And if it is not creating problems for you as it is now, then just leave it until you notice it is problematic.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 11-03-2016, 12:02 PM

Default fret repair

Thanks, NED! I'll see what happens, I noticed this when I changed the strings.
Old 11-03-2016, 01:04 PM

Ned has already answered you, but this sounds like normal fret wear from lots of play time in the first position. As long as you don't get buzzes, then no problem. If the divots keep getting deeper, eventually you will get some buzzing. But that takes fairly deep wear divots.

Worst case you could tune down by one-half step and put a capo on the first fret. That way, you put your fret wear one notch higher than the existing wear pattern.
Old 11-03-2016, 03:17 PM

Sometimes I will crown the frets without leveling so the dents are narrower and pose less of a problem. If they are buzzing because of being too low then this is an easy fix without leveling frets that don't need it. Otherwise as Ned says a partial would be my next order of business.
Old 11-03-2016, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy Beans View Post
Easy fix. Here is step by step tutorial on how to do it yourself

http://www.mirwa.com.au/HTS_Fret_Level.html

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 11-04-2016, 08:51 AM

It's always a judgement call - whether to level the frets or replace the worn ones. Here's a good (dirty) trick that I usually only use on inexpensive guitars, but it works great:

When just one or two of the frets has wear that's significantly deeper than the rest, it's possible to lift the fret slightly with your fret pullers, and then freeze it in place with thin CA. The frets can then be leveled without having to reduce their height nearly as much. Really helps to prolong the life of a guitar that's just not worth refretting.
Old 11-05-2016, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Vibrato View Post
Here's a good (dirty) trick that I usually only use on inexpensive guitars, but it works great:

When just one or two of the frets has wear that's significantly deeper than the rest, it's possible to lift the fret slightly with your fret pullers, and then freeze it in place with thin CA. The frets can then be leveled without having to reduce their height nearly as much. Really helps to prolong the life of a guitar that's just not worth refretting.
First time I have ever even heard of this process, I can picture it being practical for a player at home, but, it must be easier to just replace the fret or put a singular fret in with a higher crown.

Steve.
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 11-05-2016, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
First time I have ever even heard of this process, I can picture it being practical for a player at home, but, it must be easier to just replace the fret or put a singular fret in with a higher crown.

Steve.
Again, I only do it on cheap guitars, but it's definitely faster than pulling the fret, prepping the slot, installing the new fret, and shaping and smoothing the ends. Like I said, it's a dirty trick, but it's helped me to extend the lives of several guitars that were otherwise used up.
Old 11-06-2016, 01:45 PM
Guest 1928

Quote:
It's always a judgement call - whether to level the frets or replace the worn ones. Here's a good (dirty) trick that I usually only use on inexpensive guitars, but it works great:

Like Steve, it seems like more work than just replacing the fret. What kind of cost saving is realized for the customer? The repairmen who work on my guitars charge about $15/fret, so I could have the first 5 replaced for $75. Considering hourly shop rates I can't see a big savings from jacking up the original fret. But then again, I don't repair guitars for a living, so maybe I'm missing something.
Old 11-07-2016, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post
Like Steve, it seems like more work than just replacing the fret. What kind of cost saving is realized for the customer? The repairmen who work on my guitars charge about $15/fret, so I could have the first 5 replaced for $75. Considering hourly shop rates I can't see a big savings from jacking up the original fret. But then again, I don't repair guitars for a living, so maybe I'm missing something.
I don't care to discuss my shop rates here. Simply put: Less time = less money.
Old 11-07-2016, 08:14 AM
Guest 1928

Quote:
I don't care to discuss my shop rates here. Simply put: Less time = less money.
Fair enough. I was just trying to get an idea of the savings. It was more out of general curiosity though.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair