The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-05-2012, 11:07 AM

Default Let's ban bake sales!

Wow, brilliant! What's next?!? Those evil, mind and body killing cupcakes and brownies, just tearing down our kids and society. Have mercy on us. We need to BAN cupcakes for all!

http://now.msn.com/living/0504-bake-sales-banned.aspx
Old 05-05-2012, 11:36 AM

Just a good old fashioned common sense issue. A bake sale every now and then. What's wrong with that? I just don't get it. They worked fine back in the '60's, '70's, '80's etc, and now all of a sudden they're evil and unhealthy? Where's the logic and common sense at?

Last edited by kscobie8; 05-05-2012 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Edited quote, no political discussion
Old 05-05-2012, 11:53 AM

When are they gonna place monitors on students to keep track of what they are eating when not in school? This is all about control and a lack of common sense.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:59 PM
Whippersnapper

Just did a bunch of edits and deletions from this thread for violating our forum rule of no political discussions. I know that rule puts some restrictions on how we talk about certain subjects like this, so if you feel you can't not "go there" then I kindly ask you not to participate or this thread will enter the circular file.

Thanks.

Bel isi,
-kyle
www.kurtscobie.com
Old 05-05-2012, 02:07 PM

Why is this any more outrageous than declaring ketchup a vegetable for the purpose of nutritionally-balanced school lunches? (That was done under an Admin. of the opposite party). Look, it has NOTHING to do with politics, but everything to do with flailing about aimlessly in an attempt to address the latest health and nutrition news. (Remember when dietary fat, especially all saturated fats, were instruments of the Apocalypse)? The First Lady is on the right track in encouraging schools to have kids plant veggie gardens and to have more produce and less processed stuff in school lunches, but the above kind of overreaction happens at the local level--which, as was pointed out a couple of posts earlier, consists of school boards; local school boards are usually elected by--and many are comprised of--parents.

I know at some schools kids aren't allowed to bring cupcakes or a birthday cake to celebrate their birthdays. And the daily cookie-and-mini-carton of whole milk of our youth has long given way to skim milk and fruit (and if the kids wanna live really dangerously, 100% whole wheat graham crackers sweetened only with honey). Some preschools have gone from requiring snack-parents provide only 100% fruit juice to allowing only bottled water, because most fruit juices are liquid sugar. The daily cookie and occasional baked treat isn't the villain--it's the candy and soda machines, or the candy, fast food and snack cakes the kids buy on the way home (or their parents buy for them and give them free access). Time to put the onus back where it belongs......if parents don't bring the stuff into the house or don't teach moderation in consuming it (or so emphasize its "treat" value that it becomes insanely tempting), the kids aren't going to want it, much less eat undue amounts of it. And most powerfully of all, if the parents themselves eschew (rather than chew) the stuff their kids will emulate them.

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:08 PM

Flat out stupid.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:14 PM

Hmm...I wonder how many members in this forum are overweight ?
Old 05-05-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern View Post
I'm carrying an extra 40.

TTYL, going to eat now.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:40 PM

The most powerful force in civilization enjoyed a long run of power until they became complacent and indulged in decadence, orgies and gluttony thus ensuring the end of their dominant rule.

Of course I am reffering to the Romans here, remember the chubby little cherubs portrayed as the epitomie of beauty?
Funny how history likes to repeat itself, wonder if we are next?
Old 05-05-2012, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragtime View Post
wonder if we are next?
Nah, we'd never try to have our military all over the world trying to make everybody else like us.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern View Post
Huh? I don't get your point. But just in case you MIGHT be implying that I might be overweight since I enjoy a good bake sale, I'm 51 years old, 6ft...185, and still have a 34 inch waist.

I just think that people have gone bonkers from one extreme to the other anymore, no matter what the topic or situation. Of course I'm all for having healthier lunches in school for kids. But that doesn't mean you have to totally eliminate the occasional cupcake, and then go so far as to actually BAN the sales all together, right? For some reason, people think that moderation and compromise are terrible things anymore. But for me, I have found that it is really key to success. Balance in life has always been, and will always be a good thing IMO.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:55 PM

Hmm... back in 1968, there was this elderly gent hanging around Washington Square Park in New York. He looked like a relative of the cartoon gent in Monopoly and used to dress up in liederhosen (a nice touch). He used to carry a bag of large chocolate chip cookies around with him. Whenever he found somebody sitting on one of the park benches who looked particularly alone and forlorn, he used to say: "You look like you could use a cookie," and reach into his bag and hand out one. After the first or second bite, he would admonish the recipient: "Now, don't go anywhere for the next several hours."
Turns out the cookies were laced with LSD.
I've often wondered whatever became of "the Cookie Man."
Old 05-05-2012, 09:15 PM

Here we go again with obvious contradictions. Here's we're fighting the epidemic of childhood obesity. While we are also told that 1 in 4 children is hungry.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatstrat View Post
Here we go again with obvious contradictions. Here's we're fighting the epidemic of childhood obesity. While we are also told that 1 in 4 children is hungry.
???? Totally irrelevant and off subject. What does that have to do with banning bake sales?!?
Old 05-05-2012, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabdart View Post
Hmm... back in 1968, there was this elderly gent hanging around Washington Square Park in New York. He looked like a relative of the cartoon gent in Monopoly and used to dress up in liederhosen (a nice touch). He used to carry a bag of large chocolate chip cookies around with him. Whenever he found somebody sitting on one of the park benches who looked particularly alone and forlorn, he used to say: "You look like you could use a cookie," and reach into his bag and hand out one. After the first or second bite, he would admonish the recipient: "Now, don't go anywhere for the next several hours."
Turns out the cookies were laced with LSD.
I've often wondered whatever became of "the Cookie Man."
Ridiculously funny and bizarre at the same time...
BTW, it's 'Lederhose'...Leder is leather and Hose is pants or shorts in this case.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic