The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-27-2013, 12:41 PM

Default Serious questions!

Might be a long thread so stick with it:

So, Ive just bought my first expensive guitar (for me, it costs about 1600 euros) and i am so happy with it. I tried several models but i knew this brand was very underrated and i went with it. The guitar I'm talking about is the Furch OM33-SR.

Anywho, I'm thinking about purchasing a new dreadnought so i have two models, a small and a big one. Bass and less bass. Right now it stands between two or three models :

http://stageshop.hu/furch-d35-attort...ar-p-2995.html

http://stageshop.hu/furch-d35-akuszt...al-p-2444.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Santa-Cruz-T...item20dcf9a473

Ive looked around, and i see pretty much the same specs on the Furch guitar as i do on the Santa Cruz. I want a guitar with deep bass, crisp sound and a bit of punch to it, if that makes any sense.

Now i know that i should go and play these guitars but I'm very limited as to what i can and can't play. Which one do you think i should go for? And why is the Santa cruz model more expensive? Is it worth paying that extra cash?

Please feel free to write anything that comes to mind. Tips on other guitars etc etc.
Old 12-27-2013, 02:14 PM

Default Another option

A few months ago I went looking at Santa Cruz and Collings. I wound up bringing home a near mint used Goodall standard. The sound blew the others out of the water.

I don't know how common they are across the pond, but it's worth a look if you can find one.
Old 12-27-2013, 02:38 PM
Charter Member

Hi Fetoll,

Welcome to the AGF!

I know Santa Cruz, Collings, Martin, and similar dreadnoughts fairly well. I have never had the pleasure of playing a Furch guitar, however. So I don't have the background to compare them.

What I can tell you is that the Santa Cruz Tony Rice model is an outstanding model. For me, this is one of the very best Santa Cruz dreadnoughts that they make. So it's expensive.

You mentioned that you just got your first expensive guitar, your Furch OM33-SR. But it's not clear if you're an experienced guitar player or relatively new. Your experience level may make a difference as to whether you can tell the difference between various guitars. A lot of newer players have not developed far enough in either playing style or educating their ears/brain to hear the differences. On the other hand some newer players seem to be very alert to the differences between guitars and always seem to gravitate towards more expensive guitars.

If it were me, I would look for ways over time to play as many good guitars as you can get your hands on. If you don't want to wait, then I'd buy the Furch and save the money. Later if you finally get to play something like a Santa Cruz Tony Rice and you find you love it, then buy it and sell off your Furch.

Or, if you have the money, you could buy the Santa Cruz Tony Rice and just take a chance. You probably will not be disappointed, but you never know. It's a lot of money to gamble when you don't know what you are getting.

Just my 2 cents, of course... Best of luck to you!

- Glenn
Old 12-27-2013, 02:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTC Bernie View Post
A few months ago I went looking at Santa Cruz and Collings. I wound up bringing home a near mint used Goodall standard. The sound blew the others out of the water.

I don't know how common they are across the pond, but it's worth a look if you can find one.
I would love to get my hands on a Goodall Standard Redwood/EIR! Gotta be a phenomenal guitar!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 12-27-2013, 06:41 PM

im thinking of buying the furch. may even go down a notch and but the D34-SR cause its a lot cheaper, all the same specs but without all the bling. plus i love the look of it, the tuners and all that.

when it comes to experience, yes. i have played for about 8 years and i would consider myself a very good player. i have a feel for what feels right and sounds right. i love my OM-model to death but i would like a bit more punch and bass. therefore im thinking the furch D34, which has pretty much the same specs as the OM-model, just dreadnought.

i will definetely keep looking, just because there is a lot of money to be spent, and it has to be spent on the right guitar.

also want to add that i will be purchasing more guitars as i make more money. a lot of doors has opened up once i purchased my furch OM.

more suggestions please! =)
Old 12-27-2013, 08:50 PM

So, buy Furch if the sound rivals Santa Cruz at more money.
So, that would be my answer.
So, go for it.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:38 PM

I have not read much about Furch guitars. Just checked online. The models here range from 2000 -2600. The specs look interesting. Now to find one to try, thats the hard part.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:32 PM
Charter Member

Look for a Lowden, F or O 32 (Rosewood-Sitka). Your bass and "punch" in spades.
Old 12-28-2013, 03:32 AM

the real "moral" of this thread is to ask if the more expensive guitars really are worth it. if santa cruz takes more money just becuase they are a really small companies and think that they can take more money just for that.

back to the point, does a slotted headstock make any difference? this one :

http://stageshop.hu/furch-d35-slot-4...ar-p-2995.html

i happen to have a huge liking for slotted headstocks. and that one is a vintage dreadnought with an aged spruce top. pretty much the same specs as the original D35/34 and Santa cruz model.
Old 12-28-2013, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetoll View Post
the real "moral" of this thread is to ask if the more expensive guitars really are worth it. if santa cruz takes more money just becuase they are a really small companies and think that they can take more money just for that.
In general, yes you do get more for your money, but there is a point of diminishing returns. There are a lot of exceptions to the rule though. At the end of the day, the market will dictate prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetoll View Post
back to the point, does a slotted headstock make any difference? this one :

http://stageshop.hu/furch-d35-slot-4...ar-p-2995.html

i happen to have a huge liking for slotted headstocks. and that one is a vintage dreadnought with an aged spruce top. pretty much the same specs as the original D35/34 and Santa cruz model.
Of all the variables that affect sound, a slotted headstock is pretty low on the list. I happen to really like them, but I don't think they make any difference in sound.

One of your ebay listing is from The Fellowship of Acoustics. www.tfoa.eu
They're great folks with a whole bunch of new and used guitars in stock. I would give them a call and let them know what you're looking for.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:25 PM

Tfoa has a ton of great guitars. Dangerous place :-)

Furch are very good guitars, there are several posts here from members who have tried them. Personally I have several furch dealers nearby and their dreads are excellent, I played lots. If you liked the om you will definitely not be disappointed.

Now to the matter of the Tony Rice model. This is different territory altogether. A guitar specd for TR by a top small shop. It's not about "quality". If you "need" a Tony Rice guitar, you wouldn't have to ask.

My advice: if you need a really good dread now, get the furch. Otherwise, make a trip out of this, play lots of guitars...

Lowden S25c - The Tool "Flying D" prototype - Heritage Eagle - MJT Thinline Telecaster - Fender CS 56 Stratocaster
Old 12-28-2013, 03:00 PM

If possible, go play guitars. I love my OM's, too. And when it came time to get something that had "more authority" and a stronger bass, I was thinking I would be buying a jumbo of some kind, with a strong leaning towards a madi/adi Bourgeois small jumbo. Played a couple, didn't like like them; played lots of other instruments in various wood types, and almost bought a dreadnaught, but was torn between a Collings and a Sant Cruz...decided to give it some more time visit more stores. At some point in the next few months, decided that a slope shoulder could not be beat...almost bought a Collings slope, ended up with a used Bourgeois Advanced Slope D in cocobollo. You never know what the ears will have to say until you ask them.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:30 PM

im thinking of traveling to my friend. he lives in a bigger town where i can get to play more guitars.

i think i can get a hold of more santa cruz guitars and maybe some martins. another question, is it safe to buy guitar overseas? im buying from netherlands if i buy from ebay and just wondering if thats safe?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion