The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-04-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonHLau View Post
No Herb, you told me it was bad to make a very easy assumption based on hearing one product and assuming the other product would have more headroom while you it's ok for you to make an assumption on a product you've never heard. You like to pull stuff like this. I called you out on it. End of story.

Gordon
If you check the AGF rules, you will see that it is only ok to make assumptions after your post count exceeds 10,000. You seem to reading more into my posts than I wrote. I'm not sure what you mean by claiming that I "like to pull stuff like this". I simply made an observation that you were making an assumption and said nothing about it being wrong or bad for you to so do. I freely admitted my assumption which when posted was clearly not stated as fact.

Quote:
...I might go for the K10 because of the additional headroom and versatility it will provide me...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
How are you determining the headroom of the BagAmp and the K10?
Quote:
Herb,
Are you doubting the K10 has more headroom than the BagAmp?
Gordon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
In other words, you are making an assumption. It is entirely likely that the K10 will have more headroom but that remains to be established. ...
Old 01-04-2010, 05:38 PM

All caught up for today. Some interesting reading.
Maybe you guys can help. There is a guy that goes by drguitar and I believe he posts under a different name here. Anybody???
Old 01-04-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Hi Folks,

Today, I finally got to do an audition with a pair of QSC K8 Active speakers at my local Guitar Center--who FINALLY got a pair in for demos. I've been considering getting these or the 10"-woofered QSC K10 speakers as a lightweight alternative to my current Mackie SRM450 classic-model speakers. My first impression of the QSC K8s was underwhelming as the GC Pro Sound manger had the DEEP switches engaged and the units sounded very chesty during my spoken-word audition through an AKG D-5 mic. I had him set everything flat on the speakers and now they sounded better, being crisper and more detailed.

Next, I had him tap into a pair of Mackie SRM450V2 speakers. Immediately, with all EQ set flat, and once again with my spoken-word audition, I thought the Mackies sounded clearer, fuller and more present--even with them sitting on the floor with other speakers on top of them--compared to the QSC K8s that were on speaker stands and at my ear-level. Perhaps, a fairer comparison would have been a pair of QSC K10 or K12 speakers against the Mackie SRM450V2 speakers? All GC had were the one pair of QSC K8 speakers available. Since I already have a pair of like-new Mackie SRM450 classic speakers, I couldn't see buying a pair of the new QSC K Series speakers based on sound or potential volume. The manager said that my three-year old Mackie SRM450 classic speakers are better-sounding, in his opinion, than the newer-design, lighter-weight Class D-amped Mackie SRM450V2 speakers.

Although my audition was a spoken-word audition one, my conclusion is that the new QSC K Series speakers would be an excellent choice as your first-time-buy, high-quality active speakers, or in upgrading from some really cheap speakers OR VERY IMPORTANTLY to save weight over what you may currently own. My Mackie SRM450 classic speakers weigh 51 lbs. per speaker. A new QSC K12 speaker weighs 41 lbs. per speaker, which is the same as a new-design Mackie SRM450V2. I would say that if you already have what you consider a clear, powerful and musical-sounding system, which I consider my Mackies to be, then you may want to wait until your current speakers give out on you before selling them and buying some new QSC K Series speakers. Please be aware that a musical audition using vocals and acoustic guitar may have changed my reported thoughts. I know that my Mackies sound really nice when I'm using them and the QSC products would have to sound significantly better than what I have to cause me to buy them at this time. I could see buying a single QSC K8 or K10, right now, as a small, highly portable single-speaker PA system for vocals/acoustic guitar while still keeping my Mackie speakers. A single QSC K8 or K10 single speaker, with a suitable front-end, per a player's equipment choice, could be a good alternative for someone considering a Fishman Soloamp, a BagAmp, or a Bose L1 Compact as a lightweight, personal PA solution.

Regards,

SpruceTop
That's a very interesting topic.
But this field is still new to me.
It will be grateful if you give me some
more information about it.
Thanks in advance.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification