The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-03-2016, 11:29 AM

Smile Proper Mic and Acoustic Guitar Loop Setup - HELP!!

Hi Friends,

I wonder if you could help with the next issue:

I just bought the vox dynamic looper which is a great pedal for beginners. Currently I’m running both guitar and microphone through the pedal through a vox pathfinder 10 (not the best amp, notice that the pedal does have an XLR input). When I use a mic through the amp, it gives a lot of feedback and pitching sounds. The question is, should I run the mic directly to the pedal an then the amp or should I use some kind of interface? (I own the M-Audio Fast Track Pro). Or is it the bad quality of the Mic.

Mic + guitar > Vox dynamic looper > Vox pathfinder

Thanks!
Old 05-03-2016, 11:40 AM

Using a good quality mic preamp is never a bad idea. That said, if you're having a feedback problem, make sure your mic isn't directly in front of your amp. Set up to the side or behind it and your feedback problem may disappear.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:40 PM

I would try plugging the mic into the looper pedal. I'm having similar problems, btw. I'm using a mic to record loops with my acoustic guitar. Since that looper doesn't have an XLR input, the mic is plugged into a mixer board, and I have a JamMan looper pedal inserted into the circuit. The looping works ok, but in order for the mic to pick up the guitar, which is about two feet away, I have to crank up the gain so much that it's just a hair away from feedbacking. I don't know how people get those videos with a mic placed at the same distance from their guitar, and they get clear, loud volume without feedback. Somehow the whole recording shebang is a complete mystery to me. I'm just plugging plugs into jacks and turning buttons until I get a result. My lack of knowledge about this stuff forces me to go by trial and error. Sometimes I wonder if I should pay someone to look at my setup and tell me whether it's set up wrong. If any of you know of any tutorials or online resources, please share them.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
loop, microphone