The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-29-2016, 06:30 PM

Default Baggs Active M1 vs. K&K for Dread

Okay so performing season is coming up in the next month and want to use my Larrivee D02 for some gigs.

Which of these, without having to buy any preamp etc...would you go with? The Larrivee has a powerful bass response, best I have seen, and I want that to get across along with the clean sound of the guitar sound.

I am using the Baggs Element in my J45, it came with it, and its okay, I am happy. But for the Larry I get to choose.

I kind of hate the soundhole pickup idea, I like the clean line of the guitar. But if the Baggs M1 really is going to do a better job than the K&K, I will go with it.

I really do need some help. I simply have not heard enough comparisons on a similar instrument on youtube etc...so I am shooting blind.

Thanks.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:13 PM

What context are you playing in?

Personally, I would veer towards the M1A (or even an M80) if you play mostly with a band, and towards a K&K if you do mostly solo finger style, but I wouldn't get a K&K without planning on a preamp, either.

You'll get a variety of opinions. A lot of people love the K&K. I'm not one of them.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:32 PM

Thanks. I remember LJ saying he plays his K&K without a preamp.

For me its all solo work, I play as a guest musician in farmer's markets and cover country and rock. So I need a good real sound out of my dread...rather then the horror I hear when I use a cheap pickup like the DiMarzio Super Natural....which destroys my tone. I used and liked the DiMarzio for a cheap guitar, it does the trick. But it sucks the life out of my Larry.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:57 PM

How about another element? You're happy with that in your other guitar, right? It also depends on what you're plugging into, but I think the M1A will be a bit more plug and play than the K&K.
Old 04-30-2016, 12:13 AM

Element not quite up to snuff.....its okay, but it came stock with J45 and I didn't feel I needed to dump it....yet >>>
Old 04-30-2016, 01:18 AM
Charter Member

I have both. M1a in D15. K&K in D35 and J50. The K&K sounds vastly better. If you are going into an acoustic amp near you, I don't think you need the preamp. If you are going into a house PA with long chords, pre amp helps the sound a lot.

I'd still get the preamp. $250 for the K&K package versus $180 M1a?
Old 04-30-2016, 06:39 AM

For the K&K :If your running your sound through your own amp/speakers then you probably can do without the preamp if you get the sound you like but I played an open mic where they ran the sound wrong and they couldn't get any volume on my guitar... Now I always carry a preamp with me
Old 04-30-2016, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themissal View Post
I have both. M1a in D15. K&K in D35 and J50. The K&K sounds vastly better. If you are going into an acoustic amp near you, I don't think you need the preamp. If you are going into a house PA with long chords, pre amp helps the sound a lot.

I'd still get the preamp. $250 for the K&K package versus $180 M1a?
That is interesting news, since my guitar store is pushing the M1. If you are happy with the BASS response, ie, not muddy but clear in the D35 that says ALOT!
Old 04-30-2016, 08:33 PM
Charter Member

Roll off some bass on the EQ and you are set to go... I'll try to see if I have any sound clips from a live show...
Old 05-01-2016, 08:48 PM

The M1A is a nice pickup I have one in my Martin MMV. It is natural sounding, but you may have to dial in pole pieces. I think that it's a very good pickup for the money. When I bought it, it was from G.C. and they let me try it out first.
Old 05-02-2016, 05:44 AM
Charter Member

I own both, but easily prefer the K&K Mini with a preamp (Red Eye) than the M1A. The K&K sounds more ''acoustic''.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification