The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-01-2016, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyg1 View Post
I just finished reading the thread you're involved in over on Mandolin cafe and it's obvious from the tone and the content over there that there's just a ton more experience and less cognitive dissonance going on on that forum than here.
Nice...

Hunter
Old 05-01-2016, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhunter View Post
Nice...

Hunter
And you thought we'd never agree >s<
Old 05-01-2016, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyg1 View Post
And you thought we'd never agree >s<
No change there.
Old 05-01-2016, 06:50 PM

I use the Traynor 50 watt battery amp with a small, battery powered fx unit and my mic and its just fine.

Just buy the TVM50 and go for it if available in your country. And use battery powered fx, loopers, etc.., small and lightweight is the key.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:56 PM

<s> = smile
>s< = sarcastic smile

Internet language lessons.
No helping with the missing sense of humor.

Traynor TvM series = Crate TX series of old (but without swept mid eq's and reverbs of the old TX50db). These were mentioned more than once and by others in the thread too. the Traynor TVM50 was mentioned by name in one of my earlier posts.

I did directly say that many people do buy these battery powered amps and report satisfaction with them. I also have made clear that many find them good enough. As was said independantly, in the Mandolin forum thread, you will find that most all of the inverter systems you'll see are used by seasoned veterans of the busking scene and they end up there because they're not satisfied with the sound of most any readily available/affordable solution. The Traynor weighs 31lbs and is neither small, nor light enough to compete with a comparable system on the merits of sound quality and/or utility for the size/weight. There are many inverter powered systems that could be built that will sound better, be lighter, have reverbs, have swept mids on one channel at least and importantly, be fast chargeable on site, battery swappable and mildly price competitive.

I've presented a full bit of researched facts and have presented the pros and cons of each succinctly. I've drawn my conclusions based on long time, professional use of 12 different amps for the job.

Offer some good reason why this 'good enough' sound you three are so fond of should be taken more seriously and I''ll cede to your superior argument.

Ah he'll with it. You three win. I'm completely wrong. I'm not sure what I could've been thinking. I'll just shrink into my deserved corner, dunce that I am.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:38 AM

Inverters are not needed in most San Diego busking situations. Most local noise ordinances dictate that sound levels in nearby neighborhoods cannot exceed 65db c-weighted and slow sampled. An AC-33 is a superb amp for instrument and vocals in this region, considering that a 1 mile walk between parking and performing is not uncommon, here. Ric
Old 05-02-2016, 09:55 PM

I cannot even change the batteries in my tuner, much less build some inverter. You have to remember that many of us are worthless with such things and the TVM just solves the problem. It sounds great.

The inverter thing is intimidating and tons of hassle. But yeh, if I were doing busking for a living, I would certainly check into it.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Webb View Post
I cannot even change the batteries in my tuner, much less build some inverter. You have to remember that many of us are worthless with such things and the TVM just solves the problem. It sounds great.

The inverter thing is intimidating and tons of hassle. But yeh, if I were doing busking for a living, I would certainly check into it.
Fair enough observation that many people are not interested in a DIY inverter project. I disagree with "tons of hassle." some people don't work on their own bikes, cars or guitars but that doesn't make those activities a hassle for those of us that do. The more I poke around the more stories I find of people who decide to provide their own portable power.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:13 AM

Davis Webb,

How many hours of play do you get from your Traynor?

When my Crate was working, I didn't really know how to take care of the SLA/AGM/lead acid battery that was in it. My first quick reads about it were in this forum, if I remember correctly, and led me to believe that running the battery down until it needed a charge (even if that took more than one show and there were some days btwn shows) was the way to go.

To be very clear, that method is bassakwards wrong. Lead acid batteries need to be kept fully charged and lose charge as they sit and so, should be trickle charged often (once a month minimum).

I ended up replacing batteries in that amp and , if you've ever done that, that's a hassle. Inverter based systems are actually easier to use in the long run because they're modular and you can do what needs to be done on each piece without opening up a case that was designed for only professional repair access. Read that as needlessly painful.

Inverters cut off the power automatically when the battery hits 40-60% depletion (depending on their cutoff voltage spec) and the chargers you'll use will automatically charge them back after two clamp hook-up and a single button push.

And RicDoug, I would hope you're planning on carrying that AC33 in a case. Walking a mile while carrying that by the handle wouldn't be fun. I'd use a Vox mini 5, if I had to shoulder strap something a full mile or take my inverter kit because it lives in a handcart.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:07 AM

Attention from the authority keeps coming up as well and people who are thinking of busking out to know that it's real and you're probably going to have to deal with it soon. Take that to mean it's a given.

Most of the time, they'll come because they're responding to a complaint by someone close by. Businesses are notoriously concerned that you'll scare away their customers, some people consider busking the same thing as begging and they see it as unseemly and evidence of poor character. Others are big on ordinance enforcement to the last comma.

Some quick advice (because you could write a book on this subject and we don't have the time):

Great all authority as your best friend you haven't seen in years. Do as you're told but ask for reasonable alternatives (and that includes orders by people who are bothered by what you're doing and not only authority). Use common sense (Dont play Black Flag songs at 8am outside a church) and avoid residential areas if you can.

Don't ever distort, feedback or otherwise sound bad at your performance volume. Remember that the loudest transients of your voice will, should they be distorted by the amp, escape your attention because you'll only hear what you're singing.

Feedback and distortion (or other forms of bad sound) will bring authority to you faster. Avoid it by using syysteme that can easily handle your presented dynamic range cleanly.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:00 PM

I live in Asheville. Busking downtown is a relatively low volume/localized activity and there is talk from time to time of banning electronic amplification altogether. Most of the buskers seems to be unamplified. The buskers frequently rotate their 'spots' throughout the day. Given that, I think something like the Roland AC33 is ideal. I've used one for years inside and outside in my work with families and children (vocals and acoustic guitar) and it serves me well.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

You know, Danny, that's not a bad idea! Given your extensive experience with busking and general performance in public places you should write a short book or primer on the subject. I know as someone slowly getting to a place where I might try it out someday soon, a detailed document with tips about equipment, performance and the myriad other things I can't even think if would be very appreciated, I think. Something to think about. Wouldn't have to be long or fancy.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Old 05-03-2016, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny View Post
I live in Asheville. Busking downtown is a relatively low volume/localized activity and there is talk from time to time of banning electronic amplification altogether. Most of the buskers seems to be unamplified. The buskers frequently rotate their 'spots' throughout the day. Given that, I think something like the Roland AC33 is ideal. I've used one for years inside and outside in my work with families and children (vocals and acoustic guitar) and it serves me well.
I asked in a FB group of Boston area musicians (who had been discussing busking) how many DIDN'T use an amp. 1 spoke up. So I guess it really does depend on where you are.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 05-03-2016, 02:05 PM

I was a street performing juggler for several years and we never used an amp. I know it's not the same thing....
Old 05-03-2016, 03:36 PM

Red face

I'm not advocating for loud performance and I'm not defending the shredders and boon box wielding skate-dance crowd thing either (though I do believe they'd do themselves a favor by learning what will minimize the ire they might bring to the top).

In audio pursuits, the idea is reproduce as accurately as possible, the signal put to it, only louder. When the reproduction isn't accurate or sufficiently accurate, it registers in our brains as a kind of noise. Key to this is that the distortion doesn't register as obviously distorted until way past the time we'd describe the sound as 'bad but I can't say why'.

Audio is made by (as best we can) sensitive equipment that moves air in subtle, specific ways. Think of it like wind.

Free air response (playing outside) is the toughest system reproductive test there is. It's the same problem you'd have trying to air condition an open city block. The air that you've made move is mixing with air that is otherwise occupied and the sound that travels is not the same sound as where it began.

Ask any live sound engineer and they'll tell you the first thing they need for an open air concert
is gobs of power. Any kind of acceptable lower mid and bass response requires it.

Don't be surprised that should Asheville pass a non amplification law, that it doesn't end the problem. In my opinion, that's just a first step in an attempt to ban street musicians all together.
I'd think that it's obvious that if amplified music didn't have a critical advantage, players wouldn't bother with it. Unamplified, your performance area, within which you're delivering the sound you intend to, even on a quiet day, is probably 5 feet.
Outside of that, your sound is increasingly an annoyance.

I did just say that.

I believe unamplified street music is far more annoying than well amplified street music. Ever walk by a store that's playing music to the street and think 'Wow, that sounds good. Let me stand here and listen'.

I'm sure that when complaints come up, well meaning people with good intentions tend to offer the basic respect of taking those complaints at face value and addressing them accordingly.
Problem is that there's usually something that would be too rude for the complaintant to outright say and that's what they're basing their complaint on: For whatever reason, they don't like your music and they want you to go away. Winning them over probably isn't going to happen. And so the circle begins.

They think to themselves that were you unamplified, that'd lessen the problem and go for that , without realising that it just makes it worse, then they complain some more, the authority gets frustrated with the players and the n the businesses, the residents and the authority all agree that it would be best to just rid the streets of the menace called street music.Tickets are issued, arrests are made (of players who keep coming back) and the well intentioned, well meaning musicians are painted as untrustworthy beggars who don't clean themselves and harass innocent passersby for money.

Do I need to list what we actually are, how we create a safer, much more beautiful and tourist friendly place? That we make those smart businesses lots and lots of free money they wouldn't otherwise get?

small amplifiers that are lightweight, affordable and offer no power are at the center of this. More powerful amps cause problems in this vein too (Dueling players who don't like each other can face off with each other at horrible volumes, if they feel like it. And they will).

For me though, I want to hear the players sound like they mean to and an AC33 is always too close to the edge of being noise.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification