The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-14-2017, 04:30 PM

Default New Brad Paisley Telecaster

I've seen what TDPRI and FB thinks and was curious what you guys would say as well.
The bad:
No G bender which BP uses a lot.
Bad to a lot of folks relic.
High price for MIM.
Not BP's most iconic Telecaster.
The good:
Fat neck
Nice pickups
Nitro paint
Oiled neck

I pre ordered one and am looking forward to getting mine
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lajAZTsUM_c
Old 07-15-2017, 06:56 AM
Charter Member

May be a great little guitar. Post your thoughts after you play it for a while .

Personally I don't care for "relic" or "pre worn" etc. I think that condition has to be earned , but that's just me

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 07-18-2017, 09:52 PM

Love Fender. Love Brad Paisley. HATE road worn crap.
Maton EBG808
Alvarez AP66SB
Yamaha LL16R A.R.E.
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Electric:
1966 Fender Super Reverb
2016 Fender Champion 40
1969 Fender Thinline Tele
2015 Epiphone ES-339 Pro
2016 Fender MIA American Standard Strat
2019 Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat
Old 07-18-2017, 10:16 PM

Love the trend towards MIM Artists models. Don't love a 1,200 reliced MIM.

I can pick up a lightweight basswood Japanese pink paisley for $400 less any day of the week.

Not dumping on this at all. It's cool. Very. I'd just rather have a pinky... And pick my hardware and electronic upgrades. I had a Japanese pink paisley strat. The hardware was a little cheaper than USA, but it was a fine guitar.
Old 07-19-2017, 04:21 AM

I've come around somewhat on relicing but I'd prefer a B-Bender on my Telecaster and I'm not much of a fan of fat baseball necks.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:19 AM

Yeah, a b bender would put it into Custom Shop territory and $4,000 and up range.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
Love the trend towards MIM Artists models. Don't love a 1,200 reliced MIM.

I can pick up a lightweight basswood Japanese pink paisley for $400 less any day of the week.

Not dumping on this at all. It's cool. Very. I'd just rather have a pinky... And pick my hardware and electronic upgrades. I had a Japanese pink paisley strat. The hardware was a little cheaper than USA, but it was a fine guitar.

Yeah, I have one coming in at $1079 to the door, so discounts will be out there for thrifty shoppers.

I would think the spruce top and back would be of some interest to acoustic guys(some).

There is already a pink Paisley available.

Also a guy could source and cherry pick parts and build a partscaster for a bit less if you had the talent. I don't [emoji52]
Old 07-19-2017, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel and wood View Post
I've come around somewhat on relicing but I'd prefer a B-Bender on my Telecaster and I'm not much of a fan of fat baseball necks.

Crook can build an exact replica of BP's 63 but that starts at $3500.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:57 AM

Thanks guys for the responses. I'm hoping this will be an open discussion with any views welcome. So don't hold back. I've
heard everything from they would burn well to I love this thing immensely.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:22 AM

If anyone deserves a signature Tele, it's Brad Paisley. Fantastic player and I've never seen him play anything other than a Tele. The relic-ing is obviously not to everyones taste, but Fender also have to factor in a number of things in order to sell their product.

My Music (Guaranteed bagipe free!): https://soundcloud.com/derek_barlas
Old 07-19-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJRed View Post
The bad:
No G bender which BP uses a lot.
Bad to a lot of folks relic.
High price for MIM.
Not BP's most iconic Telecaster.
Pretty weak cons. Glad you ignored 'em Looks like a cool axe, congrats.

If folks are complaining about the price now, imagine what one with a bender would cost. And if Fender just stuck on a Hipshot or a Parsons Green bender folks would whine it isn't what Brad uses ...

Probably best that it's not a pink paisley. As others have mentioned, those are pretty easily attained (in reissue form or from builders like Crook). With this, you could swap out the pickguard and few would even realize it's a sig model.

Complaints about MIM or relicing are not worth addressing at this point. I wonder if folks think they're treading new territory with comments like "Get your wear the old-fashioned way" or "I don't get relicing."
Old 07-19-2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJRed View Post
Yeah, I have one coming in at $1079 to the door, so discounts will be out there for thrifty shoppers.

I would think the spruce top and back would be of some interest to acoustic guys(some).

There is already a pink Paisley available.

Also a guy could source and cherry pick parts and build a partscaster for a bit less if you had the talent. I don't [emoji52]
I dig spruce. I have a pine "prototype" esquire myself. the lighter woods like pine, spruce, and the basswood used on the Japanese ones make a very different instrument. very cool.

Much like you, I'm not running around putting guitars together! My esquire only happened because a "fully loaded" aka already wired and assembled pine esquire body came up on some forum for sale super cheap. I won a ridiculously cheap auction on Ebay for what has to be a bogus fender custom shop neck (I think I paid $49). I was praying the whole time I was waiting on delivery that the screw holes for the neck would line up right
Old 07-19-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_M View Post
Complaints about MIM or relicing are not worth addressing at this point. I wonder if folks think they're treading new territory with comments like "Get your wear the old-fashioned way" or "I don't get relicing."
How about the idea that if they didn't relic it they could possibly have found a way to put the same guitar out at just under a grand. How many more would they have sold?

Check out this G&L Will Ray Tribute (imported) Semi hollow with a bender. NOS from 2009 (not sure on dates, but this may be Korean built and not indonesian). https://reverb.com/item/304891-new-o...z3-semi-hollow

Again not hatin' on this one. I regularly check out the Songbook for the Play album from the library for chords and stuff. Big fan. I even regularly consider the Ritchie Blackmore MIM strat and own a MIM Jag. So I am in no way a hater of Brad or MIM Fenders.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_M View Post
No need to wonder, I seriously doubt "treading new territory" has anything to do with expressing a personal opinion on aesthetics and or "faux wear" . That kind of wear doesn't look all that good even when from actual years of abuse, let alone some silly, trendy , cosmetic notion.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 07-19-2017, 10:33 AM

I'm sure it's a great player. It's really ugly.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars