The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-24-2017, 06:10 PM
Charter Member

Arrow Tell me about the Epiphone Broadway & Joe Pass Emperor II Pro

I'm considering buying one of these but none of the local guitar shops have them in stock. Before I drive up to the Chicago Music Exchange on north side of Chicago where they are in stock, I was wondering if anyone here has experience with either of these guitars and what your opinions may be.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 05-24-2017, 06:28 PM

Played both, IMO the MIK Broadway is the better of the two, but this one is my favorite full-size Epi jazzbox:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--EPIET17

This one actually feels/sounds/plays like a '60s ES-175 for a whole lot less money, and if I didn't already own a Godin CW II (with which I'm very happy, BTW) I'd have one in my stash as we speak...
Old 05-25-2017, 05:06 AM

I love my JP. The neck is the most comfortable neck I ever played. Mine is from 1999 so I don't know how the new ones are but mine sounds great definitely worth checking out.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The dman View Post
...Mine is from 1999 so I don't know how the new ones are...
Yours is one of the Korean models that made Epiphone a major player in the low/midprice market in the mid/late-90's - good stuff, and a lot of savvy players know it - but unfortunately the post-2008 MIC JP's don't even come close...
Old 08-07-2017, 03:49 PM

I just bought an JP Emperor II Pro. It's an amazing guitar for the money, an excellent guitar at any price. The workmanship on mine is flawless, the neck is straight, and the tones are what you would expect in a quality jazz box.

The only thing that makes it less than top grade is the poly finish instead of lacquer, but that doesn't bother me in an electric guitar. It still sounds great and will look great for years to come.
Guild X-500
Guild Starfire III
Epiphone DR-212
(too many electrics)
Old 08-09-2017, 10:39 AM

I picked up a Broadway about 5 years ago. I had a JP from the early 90s. The hardware on the newer ones is much better as are the electronics. This one came right out of the box, ready to go. I've done nothing but toss a new set of strings on it as needed.

I also have a 2010 regent - bought just before Epi disco'd them. That is also really nice. gotta go used but those are great jazz boxes for low bucks.
Old 08-09-2017, 11:21 AM

some how my comment posted twice..

Last edited by rmp; 08-10-2017 at 06:22 AM.
Old 08-09-2017, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
...I also have a 2010 Regent - bought just before Epi disco'd them...
Disco'd - weren't those the hideous what-in-Hades-were-they-thinking metalflake versions Epiphone produced in the '90s...?

Lucky you - yours came well after the disco era...
Old 08-09-2017, 06:36 PM

If you can find a deal on a ES-175 premium they are great. The right factory in Korea, matte lacquer finish, classic 57 USA pickups... A bit less flashy, but a heck of a guitar.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
If you can find a deal on a ES-175 premium they are great. The right factory in Korea, matte lacquer finish, classic 57 USA pickups... A bit less flashy, but a heck of a guitar.
Great suggestion. I'd second this.
Old 08-09-2017, 11:08 PM

I'll second the opinion on the ES-175...great all-around ax for jazz, country, rock, blues...really covers all the bases at a crazy good price.

Actually, I might even carry it one step further and go for the ES-295...yes, the all-gold one (although it's also available in walnut finish). It has the same versatility, but with perhaps a bit more edge, due to the dog-eared P-90 pickups.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 08-10-2017, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Disco'd - weren't those the hideous what-in-Hades-were-they-thinking metalflake versions Epiphone produced in the '90s...?

Lucky you - yours came well after the disco era...
HA! yes! That's right, I remember those.. Hideous is just about the right definition too.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars