The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-27-2012, 10:43 PM

Default Non-wood guitar advice

...difficult to come by.

Ed

Last edited by rlouie; 11-28-2012 at 07:20 AM.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:11 AM

?????????????????
Rhoney Oceana
Warmoth Jazzcaster
Old 11-28-2012, 08:30 AM

i think that the non wood instrument movement is pretty amazing... it's kind of like the early years of US guitar making... companies and private luthiers made instruments that are still coveted today...

back then, wood was abundant, and the prices of the instruments reflected the amount of "work" that went into the instruments..

i've played some 1930-ish gibson l4's (with f holes) that played and sounded just as good as their expensive L5 brethren.. which, at the time... they were both 16" non cutaways...

the l5's had more attention to detail, more work done on them.. so.. gibson charged more...

the cheaper guitars were made with the same wood that the expensive guitars were...

now... wood is EXPENSIVE... so... it only makes sense that the companies/luthiers that purchase the best wood reserve that wood for their best instruments... leaving... well.. the worst "tonewood" for the majority of instruments produced...

with non-wood instruments... in theory... since the price for carbon fiber is globally similar... the playing field is the same for all of the manufacturers/luthiers...

so... now... that there are a few producers of these instruments, we (guitarists) are now able to see different levels of instruments.. and the artform of carbon fiber instrument building is starting to unfold...

building techniques, materials used etc... these are the things that make each cf guitar different... and awesome..

i think it's wonderful.

so much wood is wasted in trying to produce the "perfect" instrument grade grain from a log...

that... and trees are, well... they are living organisms...

carbon is the basis of all the life on this planet... however... it isn't alive.... you don't have to end it's existence in order to produce an instrument out of it...

trees you do.

me
Old 11-28-2012, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed422 View Post
...difficult to come by.

Ed
Perhaps if you could be clearer about the advice you were seeking, you'd get a better response...
Martin 000-15sm
Old 12-02-2012, 05:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdOne View Post
i think that the non wood instrument movement is pretty amazing... it's kind of like the early years of US guitar making... companies and private luthiers made instruments that are still coveted today...

back then, wood was abundant, and the prices of the instruments reflected the amount of "work" that went into the instruments..

i've played some 1930-ish gibson l4's (with f holes) that played and sounded just as good as their expensive L5 brethren.. which, at the time... they were both 16" non cutaways...

the l5's had more attention to detail, more work done on them.. so.. gibson charged more...

the cheaper guitars were made with the same wood that the expensive guitars were...

now... wood is EXPENSIVE... so... it only makes sense that the companies/luthiers that purchase the best wood reserve that wood for their best instruments... leaving... well.. the worst "tonewood" for the majority of instruments produced...

with non-wood instruments... in theory... since the price for carbon fiber is globally similar... the playing field is the same for all of the manufacturers/luthiers...

so... now... that there are a few producers of these instruments, we (guitarists) are now able to see different levels of instruments.. and the artform of carbon fiber instrument building is starting to unfold...

building techniques, materials used etc... these are the things that make each cf guitar different... and awesome..

i think it's wonderful.

so much wood is wasted in trying to produce the "perfect" instrument grade grain from a log...

that... and trees are, well... they are living organisms...

carbon is the basis of all the life on this planet... however... it isn't alive.... you don't have to end it's existence in order to produce an instrument out of it...

trees you do.
Thoughtful post. Thank you.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber