The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Old 08-17-2017, 08:53 AM

Default Rainsong Smokey SMH; Eastman AC222CE

I’m putting my RAINSONG SMOKEY SMH on the market after two years of ownership. It has a great sound, good action, and, to me, looks attractive. BUT at 75 years of age, 5' 8" (or more likely 5' 7" now) tall, and around 170 pounds, I’m the wrong shape, and not flexible enough, to play something that size for long periods. And I bought it primarily for live gigs.

For those not familiar with the model, this is Rainsong’s Grand Auditorium body, similar to Martin “J,” but with the short scale and 12-fret neck of the “Shorty,” and a pretty much all-black finish. There are, or were, four different forms of the Smokey. This is the most economical one, with a carbon/glass “hybrid” body as opposed to all carbon, and the less fancy electronics.

From the Rainsong site:

Depth at end-pin: 5 inches
Lower bout: 15.8 inches
Body Length: 19.5 inches
Neck width at nut:1.75 inches
Scale length: 24.9 inches
Tuning machines: Black Gotohs with 1:18 gear ratio
Electronics: L.R.Baggs Stagepro Element system

This one is in pretty much mint condition. I have a total of three Rainsongs here, and one stashed out west, plus a Journey OF660, and all the others are more comfortable for me to play. So this one has had relatively little play in the time I’ve owned it. It came in a nice conventional wood case, TKL archtop with a combination lock, rather than the futuristic plastic cases Rainsong usually uses. The case hasn’t been out of the house much, and is essentially mint except for dust, as I got a nice padded gigbag for the guitar. That seemed fine for local travel with a CF guitar.

I paid $1750 for the instrument, new, as an impulse buy at Music Villa in Bozeman (my son had just gotten married, and I was still coming off the high), but found later that the general “street price” for these, new, from the big sellers, is generally $1499. So I’m asking $1350, plus shipping. Not selling it wouldn’t break my heart, so I’m not interested in lower counter-offers at this point. Probably no trades, either - although I’m really on a roll on CF guitars, so I’d at least listen if you have one of those. Based on what I’ve read about the Emerald X20 series, I’d even consider trading up (adding cash) for one of those, if the person involved lived anywhere in northern New England or eastern upstate New York, and we could meet somewhere so I could try before buying. Not much chance of that, though, based on the opinions expressed by those who have one...

Inexpensive alternative: I also have an EASTMAN AC222CE.

From Eastman’s web page:

Body Dimensions: 16" X 4-1/4” - Cutaway: Venetian-style - Top Wood: Solid Sitka Spruce - Bracing: Hand-carved Scalloped X - Rosette: Basic - Back/Sides Wood: Rosewood Laminate - Body Binding: Ivoroid - Neck Woods: Mahogany - Fingerboard: Rosewood - Nut: 1 3/4"-wide Bone - Scale Length: 25.4" - Frets: 20 Nickel – Silver - Inlays: Pearl Dot - Pickup System: Fishman Sonitone - Bridge/Saddle: Rosewood/Bone, 2 5/32" Spacing - Tuners: Chrome-plated Ping - Finish: Natural Satin Finish

Purchased new at the local music store in March of ‘13. Very little play except right after I bought it, because I got so heavily into my carbon fiber instruments.

$450 (plus shipping, if shipped) includes a Gator ultralight hard case. Present retail list is $775, with just a gig bag.
Old 08-18-2017, 11:21 AM

Bump for Friday.
Old 08-19-2017, 01:43 PM

Default smokey

PM sent your way.
Old 08-21-2017, 05:32 AM

"Eclipse Day" bump.
Old 08-24-2017, 06:27 AM

Might as well try another bump (or two) before I take 'em down to the landfill...
Old 08-25-2017, 05:53 PM

Bumpity-bump!
Old 08-27-2017, 09:30 AM

Bump with afterthought:

I'd also consider a trade involving a relatively inexpensive baritone guitar - either trade the Eastman plus cash. or the Rainsong, and take cash in addition. Or the Smokey plus cash for an Emerald baritone...Naw, no chance. Oh well...
Old 08-31-2017, 09:26 AM

Bump for the weekend. Now's your chance!
Old 09-04-2017, 06:13 AM

Labor Day Bump...
Old 09-13-2017, 08:36 AM

Bump. Might as well keep trying...
Old 10-02-2017, 12:13 PM

These are still available, so why not bump yet again?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars