The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-23-2017, 01:03 PM

A Breedlove Concert would be a good choice.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:04 PM

Try a Dreadnought size next time.
If the Yari has mahogany sides and back, go rosewood.
See if you can demo a Guild D-55.
Great sounding and well balanced. It also looks very nice.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:19 PM

I like the Lowden/McIlroy idea, since you are in the UK. You might find a used one for not too much more than your Martin is worth - might even work a straight trade with someone, since Martins are overpriced over there, I've heard. I don't think size matters too much: I've never heard one that sounds remotely like a D-18. Apples and peaches.
Old 10-23-2017, 02:10 PM

Thanks Mike - this is a concern of mine too...

I have owned it for 20 years so have some history with it - but I do feel it is not meeting my needs, and as funds are limited I may be able to better do that with an alternative.

Out of interest, why do you say that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-28 View Post
I don't have an answer to your question because I don't know what you like. Different isn't always better. I do feel, that in a year down the road, you will regret getting rid of the J-40.

........Mike

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig

Last edited by Wrighty; 10-23-2017 at 02:42 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post

Out of interest, why do you say that?
My feeling is that from your post, you really don't know what it is you want. It's easy to get rid of things we have had for some time when we want something new or different. I have found that when I get rid of quality things, trying to buy back what I had is not easy and usually cost more than I can afford, and the replacement is never quite the same. Looking at the other side of the coin, a J-40 should sell easily and get you a fair amount of money. I would just say, know what you want before getting rid of the J-40.

...............Mike
Old 10-24-2017, 12:53 AM

Thanks Mike - this certainly resonates. I am getting clearer on what I would like as time progresses. I will be sad to part with my J40 but can’t really justify a guitar that doesn’t grab me (I tend to choose the D18 almost always, even when finger picking) I don’t have the luxury of owning a large stable of guitars - each one needs to make a contribution.

I keep looking for something special in the Martin and keep going back to it (Have tried multiple strings etc.) but somehow always find it lacking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-28 View Post
My feeling is that from your post, you really don't know what it is you want. It's easy to get rid of things we have had for some time when we want something new or different. I have found that when I get rid of quality things, trying to buy back what I had is not easy and usually cost more than I can afford, and the replacement is never quite the same. Looking at the other side of the coin, a J-40 should sell easily and get you a fair amount of money. I would just say, know what you want before getting rid of the J-40.

...............Mike

Last edited by Wrighty; 10-24-2017 at 01:00 AM.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:57 AM

Thanks all for the suggestions - some interesting thoughts in here.

I am leaning towards a British/Irish luthier - I like the idea of Atkin / Mcilroy / Lowden / Avalon

Lowden looks a little pricey in comparison to the others (as well as larger) Mcilroy seems to offer the A and the AS sizes - any experience on these and OM/000?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ VanSandt View Post
I like the Lowden/McIlroy idea, since you are in the UK. You might find a used one for not too much more than your Martin is worth - might even work a straight trade with someone, since Martins are overpriced over there, I've heard. I don't think size matters too much: I've never heard one that sounds remotely like a D-18. Apples and peaches.

Last edited by Wrighty; 10-24-2017 at 02:09 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion