The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-23-2017, 12:24 PM

Default Modifying Neck Profile

Has anyone attempted or contemplated modifying the neck profile of their guitar? Is it possible to sand down the center of a modified V shape to achieve a shape closer to the preforming artist (Martin) shape ?
Finish would be the my next question. I understand some of the issues applying a nitro finish, but is this also doable , or would a poly finish be acceptable
All this while the neck is still attached to the body,and the effects on resale value is not a concern. .
Old 10-23-2017, 01:26 PM

What you can do depends on the location of the truss rod. An X-ray of the neck would show that. I'd keep at least 1/8" wood covering the rod (3/16" would be better), and other than that you can carve as you like.

Redoing/repairing the finish will not be easy, if you've never done it before, figure two or three tries to get it right.
et al
Old 10-23-2017, 05:07 PM

I've slimmed down necks on a few old beater guitars. I started with 80 grit sandpaper, and progressed to 400 grit. I left the wood bare. Smooth as silk. Keep in mind, less material will affect the truss rod tension, sometimes for the worse.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:12 PM
Charter Member

What is the guitar you are planning to work on? I think you are better off selling it and getting what you want. By doing this you could destroy the guitar and will probably kill any resale-ability.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:55 PM

I gave myself a hairline fracture in my left thumb skiing some years ago. My Rockbridge had a pretty thick neck, it being based on a Gibson J35 and all that. I couldn’t play it. I sent it back to Brian and Ray at Rockbridge and they shaved about 1/8 inch off the peg head end and tapered it to the heel. They thought this would affect the sustain. It did. We all agreed for the better! Just goes to show. And I could play the guitar. Thumb has healed (I still feel it once in awhile after all these years) and I like the guitar even better to this day.
Martin D28 1937 Aged Authentic
John Walker Lochsa
Roberts Slope Dread
Johnny Rushing Ditson Style 12 Fret
Beard Goldtone Resonator
Bob Thompson Slope Shoulder
Old 10-23-2017, 08:59 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I had a left hand injury and sent my two Wingert guitars back to Kathy and she shaved the necks. Rather than re-lacquer them, she finished them with gun oil which I really prefer. No noticeable difference in the tone of either guitar.

Best,
Jayne
Old 10-23-2017, 11:16 PM

Yes, I did it, but to achieve a V neck from a base ball bat D. I was just changing the shape, not the thickness, so I wasn't really concerned about the truss rod.
Removing wood from behind the neck without knowing exactly where is the truss rod is living dangerously, me think.
(been there, done that)

http://www.youtube.com/user/batzic
Old 10-23-2017, 11:59 PM

Thanks y'all, I never really considered the position of the the truss rod...
Old 10-24-2017, 01:29 PM

I have successfully taken a 'little' meat out of a couple of guitars. An HD-28 that I no longer have (standard scale issues) and my Pono DS-20. The emphasis is on 'little' because of the truss rod and also any change does make a huge difference in the feel of the neck. Here is my suggested instructions-
Mask the entire guitar except for the neck area at the nut down to the heel.
Begin sanding with 150 grit. Once you obtain your desired profile, finish sanding by progressing to 2000 grit.
Remove masking and blend the sanded area to the existing finish using 2000 - 2500 grit.
Apply 'Timber Mate' or equivalent wood filler to seal up the pores. Sand smooth.
Apply Formby's Tung Oil Finish (Low Gloss) Follow the instructions on the can.
I applied 4 coats of Tung Oil and have an amazing smooth natural feeling finish. Hope this helps!

Boucher BG-52-G LH
2018 Taylor 320e LH
Old 10-24-2017, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHowdy View Post
I have successfully taken a 'little' meat out of a couple of guitars. An HD-28 that I no longer have (standard scale issues) and my Pono DS-20. The emphasis is on 'little' because of the truss rod and also any change does make a huge difference in the feel of the neck. Here is my suggested instructions-
Mask the entire guitar except for the neck area at the nut down to the heel.
Begin sanding with 150 grit. Once you obtain your desired profile, finish sanding by progressing to 2000 grit.
Remove masking and blend the sanded area to the existing finish using 2000 - 2500 grit.
Apply 'Timber Mate' or equivalent wood filler to seal up the pores. Sand smooth.
Apply Formby's Tung Oil Finish (Low Gloss) Follow the instructions on the can.
I applied 4 coats of Tung Oil and have an amazing smooth natural feeling finish. Hope this helps!
Thanks, much appreciated.
The guitar is a 2003 Martin D-18VS. My hopes for the end result would be to take down the center "hump" a bit.
Old 10-24-2017, 02:34 PM
Charter Member

I had the "V" taken out of a 1937 Kalamazoo KG-11. A luthier did it for me. He removed teh fretboard, routed out the neck to install a truss rod (none being there on teh original). And put the fingerboard back on and reshaped the neck to match a 1950s Gibson thick neck.

Worked out great. Changed the nut and saddle and added new tuners. The neck plays like a modern guitar. But the sound is vintage vibe.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion