The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-23-2017, 03:02 PM

Default Picking arm fatigue on smaller guitars

I've played mostly Dreads for a long time, and I've gotten used to resting my right arm, my "picking" arm, by the crook of my elbow over the corner of the guitar on the lower bout while playing.

In the last couple of years, I've tried 0 and 00-sized guitars, and I can't figure out how to hold my right arm up without getting pretty tired. On these smaller guitars, it doesn't work to hook my right arm elbow around the guitar because that would cause my fingers to overshoot the soundhole.

I wear a size 36 sleeve, and thought maybe my arms are a little too long to play smaller guitars in comfort. But today I watched a video posted here on the forum by tommyld, showcasing a Blackbird Savoy, and I noticed his right arm elbow was way above the corner/edge, of the lower bought. When I hold my arm that high, I end up getting pretty tired and switch to a larger guitar. It's like holding my hands in the air above the keyboard when typing. After a while I give up and rest my palms on the squishy stuff in front of the keyboard.

My question for all of you experienced 0 and 00-sized players: do you find that your picking arm fatigues much faster when playing these smaller guitars than when playing larger guitars? What advise can you offer to change my technique so my right arm can relax even when holding it up high to play a small guitar?

Thanks.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:19 PM

I play classical style with my parlor, guitar on left leg. Pretty comfortable and didn't take any time getting used to it.
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 10-23-2017, 03:24 PM

Thanks! That's a great idea.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:30 PM

Default Picking arm fatigue on smaller guitars

I’m no guitar ergonomics expert, but I will say I noticed the same thing moving from a dread to smaller guitars. With a dread or jumbo I would drape my upper arm over the lower bout and rest it there so that it was supported. What I’ve noticed looking back though is even with a dread this arm position would result in me hunching over the guitar in a posture that’s probably not ideal for guitar and definitely bad for singing. These days I try to sit up straight and my picking arm is not fully supported by the guitar. This feels uncomfortable at first but if you try to relax your posture and particularly right shoulder I think you get used to it.

Another important element may be what you sit on: if you normally play on a sofa, particularly a deep/soft one it exacerbates the “hunch” posture.

Even now though I’ll quite commonly find myself crossing my legs while playing so that the guitar sits higher and then I rest my upper arm on the guitar more even with OM’s and smaller.

For reference I’m a tall (6’6”) guy—might be different for more normally sized people(?)
Old 10-23-2017, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycleBob View Post
I’m no guitar ergonomics expert, but I will say I noticed the same thing moving from a dread to smaller guitars. With a dread or jumbo I would drape my upper arm over the lower bout and rest it there so that it was supported. What I’ve noticed looking back though is even with a dread this arm position would result in me hunching over the guitar in a posture that’s probably not ideal for guitar and definitely bad for singing. These days I try to sit up straight and my picking arm is not fully supported by the guitar. This feels uncomfortable at first but if you try to relax your posture and particularly right shoulder I think you get used to it.

Another important element may be what you sit on: if you normally play on a sofa, particularly a deep/soft one it exacerbates the “hunch” posture.

Even now though I’ll quite commonly find myself crossing my legs while playing so that the guitar sits higher and then I rest my upper arm on the guitar more even with OM’s and smaller.

For reference I’m a tall (6’6”) guy—might be different for more normally sized people(?)
Thanks for your insight. I'll work on my posture.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:10 PM

The lower bout of my guitars hit my forearm 4-6 inches below the elbow. It's resting on the guitar, there is no "holding up" of the arm. This is where these new "arm rests" come in - elimination of the sharp corner at that spot.

While it can put a red area and a dent in that fleshy part of the arm, it doesn't bother me. I am nearly always playing standing.
Seagull Natural Elements Dreadnaught
Taylor 418e
Taylor 514ce LTD
Old 10-23-2017, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Ballantyne View Post
The lower bout of my guitars hit my forearm 4-6 inches below the elbow. It's resting on the guitar, there is no "holding up" of the arm. This is where these new "arm rests" come in - elimination of the sharp corner at that spot.

While it can put a red area and a dent in that fleshy part of the arm, it doesn't bother me. I am nearly always playing standing.
My right arm is more comfortable when I'm standing, too. I don't have strap buttons on most of my guitars though, so I'm trying to figure this for sitting down.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:02 PM

Default smaller guitar

I am normal sized but find with a smaller guitar I am hunched over it and have my right hand closer to the middle than it should be. Constantly having to adjust myself.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:03 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I've taken to wearing a strap on all of my guitars except for the D-55 and classical even though I play seated. I use the strap as a "neck-up" device that holds the guitar secure and I can position it the way I want for my right hand attack. I bought a couple of straps, one is set-up for the smaller guitars and the other for the larger ones.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-23-2017, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I've taken to wearing a strap on all of my guitars except for the D-55 and classical even though I play seated. I use the strap as a "neck-up" device that holds the guitar secure and I can position it the way I want for my right hand attack. I bought a couple of straps, one is set-up for the smaller guitars and the other for the larger ones.
This is a great idea. Between this technique and standing to play, I should look into installing some strap pins.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
I am normal sized but find with a smaller guitar I am hunched over it and have my right hand closer to the middle than it should be. Constantly having to adjust myself.
That's how I feel. I'm hoping to get more comfortable in a steady position
Old 10-23-2017, 08:18 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt G View Post
This is a great idea. Between this technique and standing to play, I should look into installing some strap pins.
I put all of mine in the same area as Taylor does theirs (neck heel, treble side). Just check the schematics of the neck of your guitars. Put a felt washer between the button and the wood when you install them also.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-23-2017, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Yep. I strap up my L-00 too. It keeps the guitar where I want it to be...sitting or standing. I did not want a strap pin at the neck heel so I purchased a Lakota Bison leather Dobro strap and secured it at the headstock.

2023 Taylor AD22e
2001 Guild F47RCE

Certified Fretting Technician - Galloup School of Luthiery 2005
Guitar Builder/Tech

Last edited by fnesnor; 10-23-2017 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 10-24-2017, 07:06 AM

Like Marty, I hold the guitar classical style and find small bodied guitars far more comfortable than even a 000 and dreds feel HUGE to me.

Ergonomically, this is far better for you. If you hold the guitar properly, your arms and wrists will be in neutral position and you'll be less likely to develop repetitive motion injuries.

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot
Old 10-24-2017, 07:28 AM
Charter Member

I switch back and forth between 0, 00 and Dreads sitting down to practice and record. My arms are longish - 28" from armpit to finger tip and never really have a problem. I guess what I do is shift the body of the guitar towards my right leg so the wide bout hits my right forearm about the same position as if I had a dread across my lap and also rotate my torso a bit to the left.

If anything, playing dreads sitting down cause me to shift my shoulder up and that can be uncomfortable after awhile.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion