The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-23-2017, 02:17 PM

Default Really Liking GHS Strings

Been using GHS Phosphor Bronze on a few guitars for the last couple months and really like them. Great volume, smooth tone with just enough complexity, feel good under the fingers.

Also been using their Pure Nickel strings on one of my mandolins and they give a great tone to a Loar voiced instrument. May just use them as a standard going forward. Gave a set to my friend with a Gibson F and he's real enthusiastic about them too.

Don't see many mentions for GHS here but be aware they are as good as you can find. I also like the sealed individual packaging, they come out bright and clean looking and tend to stay that way. They have a lot of interesting alloy choices so I may have to explore those soon.
Old 10-23-2017, 02:32 PM

GHS make a 6-string set for 'Nashville' or 'High Strung' tuning.
GHS-CU-BBT
Basically a normal 1st and 2nd string and the 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th strings are the octave strings from a 12-string guitar.
I've tried similar sets from D'Addario and Martin strings but the GHS set was easily the most impressive for tone and feel ..... and they were $3.60.
I've also used the GHS baritone string set on my ABT-60 and they were very good too and by coincidence I made a note just yesterday to try their Silk and Bronze strings in 6-string and 12-strings next time I order new strings.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird

Last edited by Brucebubs; 10-23-2017 at 02:38 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:18 PM

I've liked GHS strings for a long time, too. I've also been confused by how little they're mentioned among experienced players; D'Addario are usually considered to be the standard, but I've always preferred the comparable GHS offering.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:33 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I'm also a big fan of GHS strings. Great variety of string choices, consistency in tone and quality, and packaged for great shelf life. Along with John Pearse strings, I have not had a need to use any other string brands for my instruments in terms of hex core strings.

Best,
Jayne
Old 10-23-2017, 04:39 PM
Charter Member

I used GHS bronze strings exclusively for many years on my acoustics. The local store stopped carrying them and I switched to Elixir. This was back before online shopping was so popular. I really do like the GHS strings, though. They are nice, all around. I would definitely try them again. They really shine when recording.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:55 PM

Nice customer service, too. I recently changed strings and found the B string missing from a new pack that I opened. I sent them an e mail and received the missing B string along with an additional new set within a few days.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:21 PM

Welcome to the club HHP

I've been using the Laurence Juber Signatures on my Boutiques and Gibson for years. While they have been discontinued, I hear the Americana Series is the same (anxious to try them).
Old 10-23-2017, 06:59 PM

I have GHS regular PBs on my Taylor 714ce right now and they are a great sounding string. They are a little rough to the touch compared to some other brands but I couldn't be happier with the sound. Loud and balanced.
Old 10-23-2017, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

I am a big fan of GHS strings too! Signature Bronze... on the 6 string Taylors... Vintage Bronze on the 12 string Guild...and others. Long life and consistent quality on their various strings is a given.

6 string... Taylor GS7 Custom / GO 818e 1st Edition

12 string... Taylor GO 358e / Guild F512 (79)

Baritone…. Guild 258e (8 string)
Old 10-24-2017, 06:44 AM

How do you find their longevity? I tried a set (can't remember now if 80/20 or PB) a couple years ago and liked them a lot but only for a few weeks before they went downhill. I think it was maybe half my expectations from other brands, and I can stay longer yet with Elixir.
Old 10-24-2017, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archsas View Post
I've liked GHS strings for a long time, too. I've also been confused by how little they're mentioned among experienced players; D'Addario are usually considered to be the standard, but I've always preferred the comparable GHS offering.
Doyle Dykes swears by them. And has a classical and a steel signature set:

Old 10-24-2017, 08:00 AM
Musical minimalist

I used GHS Jubers back when I was playing Webbers and Goodalls mostly and found them to be very good. I think those may be "Americana" bronze now?

For a couple years now I've been using the GHS phosphor lights on any guitars that are a little on the bright side, and EJ16's on the guitars that are more toward the warm side of the spectrum.

The GHS are very consistent and like the EJ16's, always fresh because of their sealed packaging. I buy them in the 6 pack and get a deal when they go on sale.

Old 10-24-2017, 08:09 AM

Another fan - Signature Bronze, Vintage Bronze.

One of the few besides Martin who 'brass' plate their plain strings, at least in some sets.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:21 PM
Guest 1928

I like GHS guitar strings fine, but they're a bit harder to find locally, and they're usually more expensive than Martin or D'Addario, so I don't use them often. They do make a "real" medium set, where all the wound strings end in "6", 0.026, 0.036, 0.046, and 0.056. That's kind of hard to find and may be of interest to some players.

Their burnished nickel electric strings are great, one of my favorites.

The Doyle Lawson LSB-250 Silk and Bronze mandolin strings have been my favorites for 20 years or so. Have never found anything I liked better for a balance of volume and tone.
Old 10-24-2017, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

Another big fan! I like their entire range of strings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
I used GHS Jubers back when I was playing Webbers and Goodalls mostly and found them to be very good. I think those may be "Americana" bronze now?...snip...
This is correct. The Americana strings (L & M) are the exact same sets as the Signature Bronze (L & M).

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion