The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 10-10-2017, 11:13 AM
Rudals Rudals is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 1,259
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-in-Ohio View Post
John, have you sold many of the Ultra Pure Minis? Is this a new item? How large and convenient to use is the soundhole control panel on this pickup?
here's a link with some pictures to give you an idea.
https://www.amazon.com/Sound-Guitar-...%26K+pure+mini
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-10-2017, 11:31 AM
Shoreline Music's Avatar
Shoreline Music Shoreline Music is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Durango, CO
Posts: 1,198
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudals View Post
here's a link with some pictures to give you an idea.
https://www.amazon.com/Sound-Guitar-...%26K+pure+mini
That's actually the Pre Phase, not the Ultra Pure (we've diverged in a yellow wood, and taken both roads in this thread). While the Pre Phase does give you that phase switch, everyone who's ever bought one from me just wanted the onboard preamp for no fuss plugin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-in-Ohio View Post
John, have you sold many of the Ultra Pure Minis? Is this a new item? How large and convenient to use is the soundhole control panel on this pickup?
The Ultra Pure has been around forever (I first sold them in 2003, but I'm pretty sure they were a couple years old by then). However, it had a really clumsy preamp design originally, which was replaced about 3 years ago by the design that you linked to on my site.

That new soundhole preamp is similar in size to other soundhole preamps like the Anthem or offerings from Fishman. I seem to sell more Ultra Pures locally than online, and all the local gigging musicians are really fond of this rig.
__________________
Elixir 3-packs in stock!

Shoreline Music
• The world's oldest online music store
• 2015 & 2016 NAMM Finalist / Best Online Store
• AGF-only discounts
Free Shipping + Free Returns
Shoreline Rewards
Videos
• Guitars from Taylor | Mcilroy | Larrivee
• Stage gear from K&K | Fire-Eye

Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-10-2017, 12:03 PM
Rudals Rudals is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 1,259
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoreline Music View Post
That's actually the Pre Phase, not the Ultra Pure (we've diverged in a yellow wood, and taken both roads in this thread). While the Pre Phase does give you that phase switch, everyone who's ever bought one from me just wanted the onboard preamp for no fuss plugin.



The Ultra Pure has been around forever (I first sold them in 2003, but I'm pretty sure they were a couple years old by then). However, it had a really clumsy preamp design originally, which was replaced about 3 years ago by the design that you linked to on my site.

That new soundhole preamp is similar in size to other soundhole preamps like the Anthem or offerings from Fishman. I seem to sell more Ultra Pures locally than online, and all the local gigging musicians are really fond of this rig.
Oh, I wasn't talking about the Ultra Pure. It's too much for me.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-10-2017, 12:38 PM
Ed-in-Ohio's Avatar
Ed-in-Ohio Ed-in-Ohio is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Northeast Ohio, USA, Planet Earth
Posts: 2,955
Default

Sorry for any confusion I may have caused by bringing up the Ultra Pure. When I posted I wasn't aware of either the Ultra Pure or the Pre Phase, and thought they were one in the same. My bad. [I am clearly out of touch on this. ]
__________________

2012 Composite Acoustics OX RAW ELE - Seven of Nine
1974 Gibson J-50 Deluxe - Prospero
2001 LoPrinzi AR-38 - Oberon
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1920s Bay State 0-12 slot-head - Dolly
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-10-2017, 09:03 PM
tadol tadol is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 2,615
Default

I'm glad you did! I just went to the K&K web site and looked over all the options - now I'm really confused - but I'm happy with my plain K&Ks -
__________________
More than a few Santa Cruz, a few Sexauers, a Patterson, a Larrivee, and a Klepper!!
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 10-10-2017, 09:38 PM
martingitdave's Avatar
martingitdave martingitdave is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Chicago
Posts: 6,676
Default

I’ve used the prephase and the newer UltraPure preamps. The simple prephase preamp works very well and gives a clean and clear signal. The UltraPure has some excellent features and is a soundboard style preamp. If you have a guitar that is primarily used as your stage guitar, and is equipped with the K&K, the UltraPure is a good option. I wouldn’t consider that pickup for any lightly braced guitars that will be degraded with anything attached to the top. The prephase is a better choice for people who would use outboard gear, or want the ability to plug directly into a board without impedance matching issues.
__________________
C.F. Martin Spruce/Rosewood Dreadnoughts (6 and 12 Strings)
Fishman and K&K Pickups
Mackie Amplification

"Lift your head and smile at trouble." "You'll find happiness someday."
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10-11-2017, 05:21 AM
Rudals Rudals is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 1,259
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I’ve used the prephase and the newer UltraPure preamps. The simple prephase preamp works very well and gives a clean and clear signal. The UltraPure has some excellent features and is a soundboard style preamp. If you have a guitar that is primarily used as your stage guitar, and is equipped with the K&K, the UltraPure is a good option. I wouldn’t consider that pickup for any lightly braced guitars that will be degraded with anything attached to the top. The prephase is a better choice for people who would use outboard gear, or want the ability to plug directly into a board without impedance matching issues.
Thanks for shedding more light on the prephase. So to dummie it down, does the prephase prevent feedback? Also, I can do away with a DI box now?
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-11-2017, 09:01 AM
martingitdave's Avatar
martingitdave martingitdave is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Chicago
Posts: 6,676
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudals View Post
Thanks for shedding more light on the prephase. So to dummie it down, does the prephase prevent feedback? Also, I can do away with a DI box now?

Rudals, one of the tools that performers will use when playing live is to switch the phase (flip the output signal of the preamp to be 180 degrees out of phase with input to the preamp) to help control feedback. This is usually effective because the lowest frequencies and resonances emanating from the speakers will excite the strings and the top of the guitar causing a feedback loop. By flipping those out of phase, the effect is no longer additive, but subtractive. In other words, it usually works. :-). The other useful tool is a notch filter than can take a narrow slice of the signal that is causing the feedback without taking too many of the frequencies out.
__________________
C.F. Martin Spruce/Rosewood Dreadnoughts (6 and 12 Strings)
Fishman and K&K Pickups
Mackie Amplification

"Lift your head and smile at trouble." "You'll find happiness someday."
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-11-2017, 12:59 PM
Rudals Rudals is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 1,259
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Rudals, one of the tools that performers will use when playing live is to switch the phase (flip the output signal of the preamp to be 180 degrees out of phase with input to the preamp) to help control feedback. This is usually effective because the lowest frequencies and resonances emanating from the speakers will excite the strings and the top of the guitar causing a feedback loop. By flipping those out of phase, the effect is no longer additive, but subtractive. In other words, it usually works. :-). The other useful tool is a notch filter than can take a narrow slice of the signal that is causing the feedback without taking too many of the frequencies out.
You're awesome! I appreciate your insight. I do have a NOTCH FILTER switch on my Ultrasound DS4 amp. Never knew what that was for...
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 10-12-2017, 05:53 PM
martingitdave's Avatar
martingitdave martingitdave is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Chicago
Posts: 6,676
Default

You’re welcome. Good luck.
__________________
C.F. Martin Spruce/Rosewood Dreadnoughts (6 and 12 Strings)
Fishman and K&K Pickups
Mackie Amplification

"Lift your head and smile at trouble." "You'll find happiness someday."
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=