The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-20-2022, 06:12 AM

Default Don't nearly all guitars sound good (in their own way)

I have six acoustic guitars ranging in price from $300 to $3500. They all have good intonation and playability but sound quite different from each other. The larger guitars have more low end but the smaller ones are more articulate. They all have their own personalities. One of the small cheaper ones is a bit boxy but has a very pleasing bluesy tone and it records well.

My $3500 Taylor Grand Symphony has more of a broad tonal range and much more sustain. I wouldn't say it's better but just different. Often I prefer the boxy Washburn to the full open sound of the Taylor.

Then there's my 00 28. I love the way it fits in my lap. It sounds like a generic acoustic. It doesn't sound small at all. It has that sweet sound that everyone thinks of when they imagine the Martin tone.

"Good tone" is subjective. Who's to say what's better?
Old 12-20-2022, 06:24 AM

Ah, no. I wouldn’t own or play a $300 guitar. Life is too short.
1968 Ovation 1111-4 RIP 1968-2021
Old 12-20-2022, 06:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinda Old View Post

Well, since it's subjective, we all are.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 12-20-2022, 06:30 AM

Quote:
I have six acoustic guitars ranging in price from $300 to $3500. They all have good intonation and playability but sound quite different from each other. The larger guitars have more low end but the smaller ones are more articulate. They all have their own personalities. One of the small cheaper ones is a bit boxy but has a very pleasing bluesy tone and it records well.

My $3500 Taylor Grand Symphony has more of a broad tonal range and much more sustain. I wouldn't say it's better but just different. Often I prefer the boxy Washburn to the full open sound of the Taylor.

Then there's my 00 28. I love the way it fits in my lap. It sounds like a generic acoustic. It doesn't sound small at all. It has that sweet sound that everyone thinks of when they imagine the Martin tone.

Well said, and I fully agree. One of the best sounding acoustics I've ever played was a friend's beat to hell, all plywood student Fender. It just sang with a truly beautiful voice.
1987 Peavey Patriot bass
Old 12-20-2022, 06:36 AM
Charter Member

In a direct answer to the op.

Depends on who's playing,

Good in the ear of the beholder. Wouldn't that be a be hear-er ?
Old 12-20-2022, 06:45 AM

It sounds as if you have found instruments who each have their place in your arsenal - and in your heart. Some guitarists never quite achieve that. It is not a matter just of money; that only ups the odds of being satisfied. It sure doesn't guarantee it.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 12-20-2022, 06:47 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZYPIKINS View Post
Good in the ear of the beholder. Wouldn't that be a be hear-er ?
Just remember that everything sounds good to the beer-holder.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 12-20-2022, 06:56 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:

All guitars have a voice, but sadly most people don't get past the name on the headstock, so they never get to hear what it might have to say.

HE
Old 12-20-2022, 07:03 AM

I would agree that different styles of music benefit from different guitar tones. Some players/styles benefit from growl, etc., and could be considerably less effective with a beautiful, balanced tone (and vice versa).

I select guitars with a beautiful tone because that's what fits my style of music. Every player should do the same, within their budget restrictions, of course.

I'd rather not venture down the "I think Elvis painted on velvet is good art" road of everyone is an expert.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 12-20-2022, 07:12 AM

Well, put it to you this way, I know a few people who can make a $300 dollar guitar sound way better than most people can play a $3500 dollar guitar.
Old 12-20-2022, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

I think there are a lot of guitars that provide value to a player all over the cost spectrum. I do think that there are quite a few guitars that sound bad.
Old 12-20-2022, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

Does anyone remember when Toby Walker posted a video of him playing his neighbor's Pink Plastic Princess Guitar? He still sounded darned good playing that thing. A very good player will always sound good no matter what they play.

Most of us need a little more help from the instrument. I sound better playing a better guitar, but I'm just a basic player. I also like playing a good guitar.

When I used to work in NYC, one of my favorite things was seeing young people playing their not expensive, sometimes taped together guitars and just killing it.

So really it's all about there fingers and the soul, but it's nicer to play a better guitar.
Old 12-20-2022, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

Don't nearly all guitars sound good (in their own way)?

Since hearing and tone are largely subjective, I'd add "to someone" to the your question. In that case I'd say "Yes."
Martin 000-15sm
Old 12-20-2022, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPDOGJIM View Post
Ah, no. I wouldn’t own or play a $300 guitar. Life is too short.
I guess you also can't enjoy a $1.50 hot dog at Costco for what it is.
Pono 0000-30DC
Yamaha FSX5, LS16, FG830, FSX700SC
Epiphone EF500-RAN
2001 Gibson '58 Reissue LP
2005, 2007 Gibson '60 Reissue LP Special (Red&TV Yel)
1972 Yamaha SG1500, 1978 LP500
Tele's and Strats
1969,1978 Princeton Reverb
1972 Deluxe Reverb
Epiphone Sheraton, Riviera
DeArmond T400
Ibanez AS73
Quilter Superblock US[/I]
Old 12-20-2022, 07:45 AM
Charter Member

I would venture that a guitar that sounds “bad” is broken in some way. Either made wrong set up wrong or damaged.

After those, they have varying nuance. Fuller, richer, whatever, not necessarily according to price, but craftsmanship.

It is kind of like comparing simple inexpensive, but not bad, earbuds to high end over the ear audiophile headphones. That all play music pretty well, it depends on how much you care about the nuance.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion