The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 07-10-2012, 12:28 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Japanese instruments?

I know this is a long shot, but you never know...

Lately I have been really interested in the sound of some traditional Japanese instruments, especially shamisen and koto. Finding local info has been a total challenge and I can't justify spending a few thousand dollars on instruments without having any experience with them.

Anyone here know anything about these instruments or good resources?

"I'd think learning to play the guitar would be very confusing for sighted people." -- Doc Watson
Old 07-10-2012, 12:47 PM

Tux, in the past I've gotten traditional Japanese musical instruments through Saga Musical Instruments, the outfit that has various brands like Blueridge guitars and Kentucky mandolins. About twenty years ago now one of my friends' roommates decided that she wanted a biwa, which is a Japanese lute, and I was able to get one ordered through Saga for her.

That's the last time I've dealt with Japanese instruments, and while Saga is still going strong I don't know whether they still import any. It's worth contacting Saga to find out: http://www.sagamusic.com/

If they can't help you, your best bet is to simply do a web search. I'm sure that in places with significant Japanese populations like Honolulu and Los Angeles there are bound to be some folks that can help you.

I just checked the Lark In The Morning website, but all they seem to carry in terms of Japanese instruments right now are shakuhachi flutes: http://larkinam.com/Japan.html

Which may not be all that great a loss - every time I've visited a Lark In The Morning shop and seen any stringed instruments from them, the instrument quality has generally been shoddy and the set ups nonexistent.

Anyway, check with Saga. Any traditional Japanese instruments you get from them will almost certainly have to be special order, but they're one possibility for you.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 07-10-2012, 12:53 PM

If the music gets popular, we could flood their market with cheap, American copies.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments