The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 02-17-2012, 08:13 AM

Default N (ub) d...

My new Kala UBass is on the truck for delivery today...can hardly wait. The warm-up time may kill me...

Decided to go with the all solid mahogany model, not because of the all solid woods (the entry model is solid spruce top/laminate mahogany back/sides), but because it also comes with "real" Hipshot tuners and a decent case (instead of the snug gig bag that likes to re-tune for you every time you take it somewhere).

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:01 PM

I was about to say "I wouldn't worry about warming up a solid body that small and with such little string tension". Then I saw your address

Very cool! I want one but have no idea what I'd do with it.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
I was about to say "I wouldn't worry about warming up a solid body that small and with such little string tension". Then I saw your address

Very cool! I want one but have no idea what I'd do with it.
It actually wasn't that bad, Blue. We're a tad above freezing today (but, of course, the instrument has been on a truck for a couple of days and nights), but I did open the box, leave it for an hour, remove the bubble wrap off of the case, then wait another hour before opening 'er up. It is an acoustic (baritone Uke body), not a solid body model, so I treated it much like a new guitar coming in...

She's about as cute as a tiny bass can be, and is very cool. Not much acoustically but plugged in (monitoring off my recording setup using a tube mic pre and headphones) it's a monster. Not being a bass player, I have no pre-conceived notions/prejudices to dispel so I'm just having a bunch of fun with it.

The rubber strings just stretch and stretch (and stretch). It may take a week to get it to stay in tune longer than 10 minutes! Have already had to re-set/re-stretch the A string to keep the number of windings down...

Can't wait to get it into the studio (my reason for buying it was to add some bass to band recordings, and the reviews and samples I had of the UBass showed me that it was just was I was looking for).

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philjs View Post

The rubber strings just stretch and stretch (and stretch). It may take a week to get it to stay in tune longer than 10 minutes! Have already had to re-set/re-stretch the A string to keep the number of windings down...

Can't wait to get it into the studio (my reason for buying it was to add some bass to band recordings, and the reviews and samples I had of the UBass showed me that it was just was I was looking for).

Phil
Ha! I was wondering about those strings on the ones I've picked up in the shops! If you are unfamiliar with him, I would recommend you listen to Lemmy Kilmister from Motorhead. I know it sounds crazy but he has a strumming approach to bass. It would be a killer approach on your new toy! This starts a little slow, but you get the drift

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adXrq...eature=related

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments