The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 03-19-2024, 02:00 PM

Well, I suspect shared human times & memory amplify this song's power, but even when it was a "new" song it seemed magical.

Your version captures that. And yes, the recorder sample worked.

Always glad to see when you have a new recording.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 03-19-2024, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
Well, I suspect shared human times & memory amplify this song's power, but even when it was a "new" song it seemed magical.

Your version captures that. And yes, the recorder sample worked.

Always glad to see when you have a new recording.
Hi Frank!

How nice of you to take time to listen and comment! Much appreciated Frank!

Yes, magical is a good word to describe the character of this old recording. I'm pleased that you felt I did okay with this cover. I'm glad, too, that you thought the sampled recorder worked out reasonably well.

I hope all is well for you, Frank!

- Glenn
Old 03-19-2024, 07:39 PM

My favourite ever Airplane song - a beautiful tune from a lovely guy. I saw Marty do it solo a number of times in the 00s in the middle of JS sets - I'm not one to get emotional at gigs, but the first time I saw him do it literally 6 feet away, it was tough not to shed a tear. Yours is a lovely version, Glenn - really captured the vibe.

If anyone hasn't seen it, I recommend you search out Flashback, with Kiefer Sutherland and Dennis Hopper. The scene where you hear this song is one of the best matches of incidental music I have heard on a soundtrack.
Old 03-20-2024, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boombox View Post
My favourite ever Airplane song - a beautiful tune from a lovely guy. I saw Marty do it solo a number of times in the 00s in the middle of JS sets - I'm not one to get emotional at gigs, but the first time I saw him do it literally 6 feet away, it was tough not to shed a tear. Yours is a lovely version, Glenn - really captured the vibe.

If anyone hasn't seen it, I recommend you search out Flashback, with Kiefer Sutherland and Dennis Hopper. The scene where you hear this song is one of the best matches of incidental music I have heard on a soundtrack.
Thank you Boombox!

Thanks for the kind words and for your own background on this old song.

I hope all is well for you!

- Glenn
Old 03-20-2024, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

Such a good song! Always one of my favorites from that record... good job, Glenn!

The Airplane was really a powerhouse vocal band when they first put out those records; both Marty and Grace were formidable vocalists, and Kanter had his own "flavor" for his vocals, too... even Jorma had a couple lead vocals. I really loved those early recordings, and I even have CDs of those three records with that band... "Surrealistic Pillow", "After Bathing At Baxters" and "Volunteers"...

Thanks for reminding me of what a cool tune that is; lots of memories around that one!

Thanks for posting this!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 03-20-2024, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

I can only echo what others have said. This was my favorite song on an amazing album. Ethereal and haunting.

Great performance of a special piece!
Old 03-21-2024, 10:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
Such a good song! Always one of my favorites from that record... good job, Glenn!

The Airplane was really a powerhouse vocal band when they first put out those records; both Marty and Grace were formidable vocalists, and Kanter had his own "flavor" for his vocals, too... even Jorma had a couple lead vocals. I really loved those early recordings, and I even have CDs of those three records with that band... "Surrealistic Pillow", "After Bathing At Baxters" and "Volunteers"...

Thanks for reminding me of what a cool tune that is; lots of memories around that one!

Thanks for posting this!
Thank you Jseth!

I really appreciate your kind remarks above. And I very much agree with you about Marty Balin's and Grace Slick's really appealing vocals. They were a good band and were perfect for that era. Just listening to those old albums feels like hopping onto a time machine.

I hope all is well for you Jseth! Thanks so much for your kind words and encouragement!

- Glenn
Old 03-21-2024, 12:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmichael View Post
I can only echo what others have said. This was my favorite song on an amazing album. Ethereal and haunting.

Great performance of a special piece!
Thank you PMichael!

I appreciate your kind words and encouragement. I'm so glad you felt this came out okay. Thank you for taking time to listen and comment here! Much appreciated!

I hope you are well!

- Glenn
Old 03-25-2024, 10:33 AM

Enjoyed hearing this song for the first time. Amazing arrangement. Thanks for the beautiful sounds!
Old 03-25-2024, 11:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson61 View Post
Enjoyed hearing this song for the first time. Amazing arrangement. Thanks for the beautiful sounds!
Thank you Gibson61!

Much appreciated! I'm pleased that you thought this cover came out okay. It is a fun arrangement for which I can take no credit, but it was fun to show it in the video. I'm so glad you enjoyed this.

And thank you for taking time to watch, listen and comment!

I hope all is well for you these days!

- Glenn
Old 03-26-2024, 11:21 PM
AGF Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Because of that cathedral reverb on the guitar, some of that is in my voice, too, from crossfeed to the guitar mics.
I really like this effect. Excellent work on this, Glenn.
Old 03-27-2024, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
I really like this effect. Excellent work on this, Glenn.
Thank you Jeremy!

I appreciate your listening and taking time to comment. I'm glad you thought that long reverb on my voice was okay, even an interesting effect. I didn't intend it, but sometimes things work out alright in the end.

I hope you and your family are all well.

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell