The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-21-2017, 08:41 PM

Beautiful guitars. Are your light strings enough to make those Martin dreadnoughts really sing?
Old 09-21-2017, 08:45 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt G View Post
Beautiful guitars. Are your light strings enough to make those Martin dreadnoughts really sing?
Yep. Sound great.

Old 09-21-2017, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
Yep. Sound great.
That's good to know. Where does this myth come from that Martin dreadnoughts need medium strings?
Old 09-22-2017, 12:36 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
When you get time, please do a comparison with the D-18. Obvious tonal differences aside, I'm interested to see which you think is more responsive and bolder. Would like to know if you can tell a difference in the bracing...
Finally had a chance to spend a couple of quality hours playing both guitars this morning. Very different voices, which is great. How much of that is due to the scalloped/non-scalloped bracing differences is hard to tell. The clear differences involve hog vs. EIR.

Initial observations:

The D-28: Lush, clear, and bright (in a good way) with those rich rosewood overtones. Tons of sustain and responsiveness. Seems a bit louder than the 18...though that may just be my ears being fooled by the overtones.

The D-18: Organic, woody, warm. Cleaner note separation. Perhaps a bit more low end. Quicker decay for clear, clean notes/chords. Overall, a very sweet inviting tone.

Sure glad I have them both ‘cause I don’t know how I could choose between them. Suddenly I’ve got two favorite guitars.

Of course, all of this is very subjective. YMMV, etc. But I hope it’s helpful...

Last edited by Rev Roy; 10-12-2017 at 08:08 PM.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
Finally had a chance to spend a couple of quality hours playing both guitars this morning. Very different voices, which is great. How much of that is due to the scolloped/non-scalloped bracing differences is hard to tell. The clear differences involve hog vs. EIR.

Initial observations:

The D-28: Lush, clear, and bright (in a good way) with those rich rosewood overtones. Tons of sustain and responsiveness. Seems a bit louder than the 18...though that may just be my ears being fooled by the overtones.

The D-18: Organic, woody, warm. Cleaner note separation. Perhaps a bit more low end. Quicker decay for clear, clean notes/chords. Overall, a very sweet inviting tone.

Sure glad I have them both ‘cause I don’t know how I could choose between them. Suddenly I’ve got two favorite guitars.

Of course, all of this is very subjective. YMMV, etc. But I hope it’s helpful...
Thanks for that! Somehow, that sounds great. I appreciate you taking the time. Enjoy both!!!
Old 09-22-2017, 01:23 PM

Congratulations!
Taylor GS Mini-e Spruce/Rosewood
Waterloo WL-S
Wechter TO-8418

Cordoba 24T tenor ukulele
Kanile'a Islander MST-4 tenor ukulele
Kiwaya KTC-1 concert ukulele
Kolohe concert ukulele
Mainland Mahogany soprano ukulele
Ohana SK-28 soprano ukulele
Brüko No. 6 soprano ukulele
Old 09-22-2017, 02:00 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
Thanks for that! Somehow, that sounds great. I appreciate you taking the time. Enjoy both!!!
No problem, Blue. Helping each other is what AGF is all about.

Old 09-22-2017, 02:15 PM

Beautiful!
I'm looking forward to giving one a spin.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:15 PM

Congrats on the new D-28 ! Good match for the D-18. I have a newer model Ambertone D-18. I wonder if they will come out with a Ambertone D-28 ? If they do, I might have to look at getting one to match my D-18.

( @ )===:::
Old 09-22-2017, 02:37 PM

YAY! IT ARRIVED!

Congrats Rev! Man is she ever a beaut.
Just look at that beautiful, straight grained RW! WOW!

And Maury is the BEST. When he picked up my D-18 Ambertone on a Tuesday at the factory, he text me pics of it. It was on my doorstep Thursday!

We all know you'll just LOVE it. Perfect compliment to your D-18.
Old 09-22-2017, 03:50 PM

Wow! Now I want one to go with my D-18! What more could you want?
Dirty 30's Parlor 7 series
2007 Redline Rambler Square Neck Resonator

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCB1...K6oxpANeRr1_oQ
Old 09-22-2017, 04:03 PM

Hello Roy, congratulations on one awesome looking D-28, looking forward to playing one soon! Enjoy!

Martin acoustics
Fender and Gibson electrics
Old 09-22-2017, 04:58 PM

great description Rev Roy. I went to my local dealer who had 2 new D-28s, but I think only one to sell. I AB'd them and there was really not much difference between the two either sound or visually. I then brought in my D-18 and my thoughts are just like yours only I would have had trouble describing it. I wanted to sleep on it, but am guessing that I will return tomorrow.

My dilemma now is that to buy from them, I know that I am paying a premium over what I could get from an internet retailer to the tune of probably $400+ (half of which is sales tax), but I feel some responsibility to support the local store and think that I would feel guilty after them putting up with me demo'ing their guitars and then buying on-line. That is the main thing that I am sleeping on. I guess it is kind of the way of the world now though. We shall see.
Old 09-22-2017, 05:15 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Mc View Post
great description Rev Roy. I went to my local dealer who had 2 new D-28s, but I think only one to sell. I AB'd them and there was really not much difference between the two either sound or visually. I then brought in my D-18 and my thoughts are just like yours only I would have had trouble describing it. I wanted to sleep on it, but am guessing that I will return tomorrow.

My dilemma now is that to buy from them, I know that I am paying a premium over what I could get from an internet retailer to the tune of probably $400+ (half of which is sales tax), but I feel some responsibility to support the local store and think that I would feel guilty after them putting up with me demo'ing their guitars and then buying on-line. That is the main thing that I am sleeping on. I guess it is kind of the way of the world now though. We shall see.
Thanks, Jeff! You’re gonna love having both...if that’s the route you take. I live in a relatively rural area, so no shops for me to try out guitars. Buying long distance from great AGF sponsors like Maury and Ted is really the only decent option for me.

Old 09-22-2017, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Mc View Post

Hmm...hard for me to have loyalty to the local guy in that situation. Explain to him the situation and hope for a killer deal?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion