The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-19-2017, 02:45 PM

Default NON AMPLIFIED BUSKING.

Well I applied for and got a "Soliciting Certificate" from my town for the purpose of trying my hand at busking. I was all excited to pick it up and give it a go. I was going to use my battery powered Roland AC-33 amp and a mic. Then I read the certificate. Amendment from Police Chief " Absolutely No Amplified Music". Oh well, I'll give it a try anyway. Anyone successfully busk without a small amp? or is it the norm not to be amplified?
Old 09-19-2017, 04:46 PM
Charter Member

Depends completely on the area. The the little town of Portsmouth, NH - a hub of little shops on narrow streets in a little seaside harbor town with a ton of tourists and foot traffic - all busking is done with no amplification allowed.

When we went to Ireland last year, buskers in both Dublin and Galway were amplified. The areas in Dublin were much larger, wider, with even more foot traffic so the amplification was a necessity to be heard over the din.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:56 PM

I use a Roland Street Cube amp but keep it way way way low.
Never had a complaint.

Perhaps partly because I play music that many people find to be not obnoxious.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:58 PM

Done it many times without issue. Just like playing in the living room......... a really large living room.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:17 PM

My band has done it but we are a 6 piece band with banjo and mandolin.
We can make a lot of noise without being amplified.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:41 PM

The key here is to learn to play loud so you can be heard...

While you may not appreciate bluegrass - you can learn a ton about how to play unamplified from these guys. Old fashioned acoustic blues and Ragtime are also a great reference as well....

You will most likely find success with:
*Relatively high 12th fret action - "bluegrass" action is a good start...
*Relatively heavy strings. No lighter than medium... Many old timers used medium heavies or heavies.
*Higher neck relief
*Play hard with finger picks or a heavy/stiff flat pick. You will have to get used to digging in and driving the instrument.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:40 PM

Just pick a quiet area with OK foot traffic, the problem with trying to busk with a guitar set up for bluegrass or a roundneck spider cone resonator is you will not be able to effectively sing over the top of it.

2008 Martin SWDGT
2003 Larrivée D-03R
2016 Ibanez AVD10
2016 Ibanez AW4000
2001 Liberty LIB100 Resonator
Old 09-20-2017, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Depends completely on the area. The the little town of Portsmouth, NH - a hub of little shops on narrow streets in a little seaside harbor town with a ton of tourists and foot traffic - all busking is done with no amplification allowed.

When we went to Ireland last year, buskers in both Dublin and Galway were amplified. The areas in Dublin were much larger, wider, with even more foot traffic so the amplification was a necessity to be heard over the din.
I am very familiar with Portsmouth NH. I am in Annapolis MD, very similar scenario. I'll give it a try and see what happens. Disappointed though that i cant have a little amplification at low volume. I suppose someone must have gotten a little carried away at one point for the Police Chief to make this amendment to the certificate.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:43 AM

Back in the 'old days' non-amplified was the only option - battery-operated amps for guitar + voice did not exist.
Two things: find a quieter place (a busy street corner or subway stop is not good!) and learn to project your vocals and don't be constantly looking around, keep your head pointed straight ahead, same as your guitar - pretend there's a too-soft mic right in front of you.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 09-20-2017, 06:50 AM

Find a doorway, an inside corner, a covered area. Anywhere that will help an essentially quiet instrument reflect sound.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmckean44 View Post
Just pick a quiet area with OK foot traffic, the problem with trying to busk with a guitar set up for bluegrass or a roundneck spider cone resonator is you will not be able to effectively sing over the top of it.
"you will not be able to effectively sing over the top of it".

Huh? I think that depends on who you are talking about.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
"you will not be able to effectively sing over the top of it".

Huh? I think that depends on who you are talking about.
My thoughts exactly!

Martin OOO-10E
Bristol BB-16

Over a dozen ukuleles.

My YouTube channel- https://youtube.com/c/VicSchmeltz
Old 09-20-2017, 10:48 AM

You will need to go without an amp the first time and try a few spots. See what street noise you get, etc....

The spot you busk from is called the "pitch". Good pitches are in high demand.

Are you singing?

Then get back to us here and tell us what happened. The idea is to see if you need an amp first, then think about what level of street noise you are combating. Traffic makes it very difficult, shredder trucks..impossible.

PS: I busk half the year and rely on it for income. Happy to help you any way I can. As a rule of thumb, you will not be asked to turn off an amp if it is inoffensive. That is a judgement call and usually goes your way unless you are doing Van Halen riffs at 90 dB.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Webb View Post
You will need to go without an amp the first time and try a few spots. See what street noise you get, etc....

The spot you busk from is called the "pitch". Good pitches are in high demand.

Are you singing?

Then get back to us here and tell us what happened. The idea is to see if you need an amp first, then think about what level of street noise you are combating. Traffic makes it very difficult, shredder trucks..impossible.

PS: I busk half the year and rely on it for income. Happy to help you any way I can. As a rule of thumb, you will not be asked to turn off an amp if it is inoffensive. That is a judgement call and usually goes your way unless you are doing Van Halen riffs at 90 dB.
My set lists consist of some "Americana", Guy Clark, Ray Wiley Hubbard as examples, and some blues, folk, traditional. Not real loud stuff. As far as trying to use the amp quietly, probably not. You should see the BIG CAPITOL LETTERS from the police chief in the certificate."ABSOLUTLY NO AMPLIFIED MUSIC"

I know where the best "Pitches" are and i have seen some Buskers told to move along when the could not produce a "Solicitors Licence" .
Old 09-20-2017, 11:37 AM

I grew up in seacoast, NH and lived in Portsmouth. Currently a resident of Annapolis. Here in Annapolis I see buskers on Main St. and on Dock St. both with and w/o amplification. If you do use something small, a'la a street cube and you get push back you can just unplug.

FWIW I have a street cube. You're welcome to borrow it and give it atey.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion