The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-10-2017, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianhejh View Post
Hi

FG 365SA is the number on the label.

Apart from the number provided, I could not find any other numbers on the braces.? Is this unusual.

Was there any chance that some of these early model Yamahas were made with Brazilian woods.

Thanks

Brian
No chance at all, I'm afraid. The most exotic wood Yamaha used around '72 was Jacaranda on the FG1500/2000. The body style of the FG2000 morrphed into the 'L'series later.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianhejh View Post
Hi

FG 365SA is the number on the label.

Apart from the number provided, I could not find any other numbers on the braces.? Is this unusual.

Was there any chance that some of these early model Yamahas were made with Brazilian woods.

Thanks

Brian
I doubt it. I don't think BRW has been used in production guitars since the late 60's. None of the guitars in the Yamaha Guitar Database claim to be BRW, although some are Jacaranda which some claim is BRW. This post will add to the confusion. http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=177471

There were a few guitars made for Japan only in the mid 70's with Coral Rosewood, said to be similar to BRW. I'd like to find one of those someday.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drplayer View Post
Mine has the following:
  • Model - FG-140
  • Label - Red Nippon Gakki
  • Serial No. on neck block - 1438119
  • No. Stamped on interior side - can't make out the first two characters as they are smudged, but followed by what looks like "11 24". There is also a larger circle/oval with what appears to be a "3" inside of it?
  • Truss rod cover - Regular
Thanks. By what I have so far that is a 1970 model. The first 2 smudged digit of the date code should be 45. I have a serial number 1444611 in my list with date code 45.11.25, the day after yours.

The 3 in the circle seems to be a code so they know which parts to put into what model.
Old 09-10-2017, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGull View Post
Thanks. By what I have so far that is a 1970 model. The first 2 smudged digit of the date code should be 45. I have a serial number 1444611 in my list with date code 45.11.25, the day after yours.

The 3 in the circle seems to be a code so they know which parts to put into what model.
How awesome is that...thank you for your efforts in putting this together!

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia
Old 09-10-2017, 11:34 AM

My FG110 Nippon Gakki red label:

Serial number: 681022

Stamped inside on lower side: 42.7.25 but I'm not sure if those are decimal points or just marks that shouldn't be there. In larger font, above the 42.7.25, there's a capital letter B or G, hard to make it out.

I emailed Yamaha in December 2013 and they answered that the serial number means the guitar was made in October 1968.

The truss rod cover is black metal trimmed in silver, has the Yamaha symbol on it, and "reinforced neck"

The guitar was hardly ever used, maybe for 2 or 3 lessons. Yamaha confirmed that is is all-laminate, spruce top and agathis sides. Original retail price 99.99 Canadian. Nato neck, bubinga fingerboard and bridge.

It's been untouched for about 3 years, tuned to normal pitch. It went a bit sharp but not too much. Top looks like well-aged cedar, dark rich colour.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by pf400; 09-10-2017 at 11:36 AM. Reason: forgot to mention red label
Old 09-10-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pf400 View Post
My FG110 Nippon Gakki red label:

Serial number: 681022

Stamped inside on lower side: 42.7.25 but I'm not sure if those are decimal points or just marks that shouldn't be there. In larger font, above the 42.7.25, there's a capital letter B or G, hard to make it out.

I emailed Yamaha in December 2013 and they answered that the serial number means the guitar was made in October 1968.

The truss rod cover is black metal trimmed in silver, has the Yamaha symbol on it, and "reinforced neck"

The guitar was hardly ever used, maybe for 2 or 3 lessons. Yamaha confirmed that is is all-laminate, spruce top and agathis sides. Original retail price 99.99 Canadian. Nato neck, bubinga fingerboard and bridge.

It's been untouched for about 3 years, tuned to normal pitch. It went a bit sharp but not too much. Top looks like well-aged cedar, dark rich colour.

Hope that helps.
EXCELLENT!!! That's one I'd love to find! I LOVE the FG-110. I hope to find an early one some day.

Once again they assume the first digit, or 2 digits are the year. This guitar fits right into the data I have. It was made July 25 1967.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:12 AM

I bought a red label/Nippon Gakki FG-110 for my sons to learn on ~20 years ago. It's now one son's "beach gtr". It's still great-playing & sounding btw. He texted me #s found in it tonight:

"20504403 is printed on the bridge support inside the guitar"

"KL is just above the red label FG-110 sticker"

I know the truss rod cover is the "std" Yamaha one, not the earlier "reinforced neck" one. I bought it on "guitar row"/Sunset Blvd somewhere ~'96-'97 IIRC. It looked then/still looks to me like a typical later-'60s/early '70s red label Nippon Gakki Yamaha.

Dunno how to interpret these markings but hope it helps.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:48 AM
Charter Member

Default Re Red Label

Thanks for undertaking this effort!

Mine is an FG-300

Red Label, newer style TRC

Serial # 1125616

I'll have to find a mirror as I could not see any number stamped on either side without one.

The pick guard is still on, though it's loose on the bottom right edge (from player's perspective).
Old 09-11-2017, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Red View Post
I bought a red label/Nippon Gakki FG-110 for my sons to learn on ~20 years ago. It's now one son's "beach gtr". It's still great-playing & sounding btw. He texted me #s found in it tonight:

"20504403 is printed on the bridge support inside the guitar"

"KL is just above the red label FG-110 sticker"

I know the truss rod cover is the "std" Yamaha one, not the earlier "reinforced neck" one. I bought it on "guitar row"/Sunset Blvd somewhere ~'96-'97 IIRC. It looked then/still looks to me like a typical later-'60s/early '70s red label Nippon Gakki Yamaha.

Dunno how to interpret these markings but hope it helps.
May 4, 1972 unit 403. I assume KL is an inspection mark, I've seen it a few times.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quake17 View Post
Thanks for undertaking this effort!

Mine is an FG-300

Red Label, newer style TRC

Serial # 1125616

I'll have to find a mirror as I could not see any number stamped on either side without one.

The pick guard is still on, though it's loose on the bottom right edge (from player's perspective).
The date markings are usually too far back to see without a light and mirror. Hopefully you can find it.

By what data I have so far, yours was probably made in very early 1970.

It's common for the pick guard to be falling off. They're made of celluloid, the same very flammable stuff movie film was made of. It also shrinks with age. I got my FG-300 with the pick guard barely hanging on, it shrunk 1/16" all around. I found they left most of the area of the top under the pick guard unfinished, except for a 3/8" strip on the perimeter. The glue they used didn't stick to the bare wood. As the pick guard shrinks it looses grip with the very small surface area. I removed all the old glue from both surfaces, filled the unfinished area with many layers of shellac, and used Stew Mac's pick guard adhesive sheets to re-attach it. It was nowhere as easy as it sounds!
Old 09-11-2017, 06:39 AM

CTGull - I'm curious, have you been re-fretting your Yamis? If so, what height wire have you been using? My FG-140 has very low frets and they bug me like nobody's business - not to mention, like most, it needs a neck reset. I hear there is a guy in Connecticut who has done a bunch of these resets and is an expert at debunking Yamaha myths....

best,

Rick
Old 09-11-2017, 06:39 AM

So I take it you are putting together a Registry such as exists for Banner Gibsons and New York-made Epiphones. That has got to be a labor of love.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
CTGull - I'm curious, have you been re-fretting your Yamis? If so, what height wire have you been using? My FG-140 has very low frets and they bug me like nobody's business - not to mention, like most, it needs a neck reset. I hear there is a guy in Connecticut who has done a bunch of these resets and is an expert at debunking Yamaha myths....

best,

Rick
I haven't done any refretting. Yet. I've measured the 15th frets that were taken out for the neck resets but I haven't taken the time to match it up with a modern fret. There has to be something. I'll get to that eventually. All the old Yamaha's I have have very low flat frets. I was able to crown most of them but someday I'll have to replace them. At least for my favorite guitars. All I need is time. This work and family stuff takes up WAY too much of my time!

I was in Rocky Hill and Newington over the weekend, not far from you!

Last edited by Kerbie; 09-11-2017 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Removed masked profanity
Old 09-11-2017, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
So I take it you are putting together a Registry such as exists for Banner Gibsons and New York-made Epiphones. That has got to be a labor of love.
Or I'm just crazy!! I should also include that I like numbers and history. And bebunking assumed theories.

It sucks that the date code is so hard to get to. Most people aren't going to take the time or effort to look for it.

I've got 99 entries but only 26 of them are sets of S/N's & date codes. That's what's really needed to confirm the dates.

I created a web page over the weekend. That will probably be easier for people to find stuff. Whenever I have time to put the stuff up.

Last edited by Kerbie; 09-11-2017 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Edited
Old 09-11-2017, 08:05 AM

I have a fg140 red label, The only markings I can find in it are on the neck block.

1342594, no other markings anywhere I can find, of course there is almost 50 yrs of dust in there too!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion