The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-09-2012, 02:44 PM

Cool Taylor SolidBody guitars vs. big-name brand 'standard' models

Howdy folks,

I've been playing my Taylor SolidBody Classic - made in 2007, for half a year now and love it.

The real question is in the title, if you don't want to read the block of text, just respond, that's totally OK.

---

Lately I was wondering - how good is it, really? And then I mean, in terms of other big-name brand 'standard' models, like the Fender Am. Standard Strat and Tele, or the Gibson Standard SG and Les Paul guitars. How close or far away is my guitar to those? Or, have they changed some after 2007 (besides the new naming system and the release of the double cut SB)?

To my hands and ears it just feels like a well made, solid piece of gear. That besides a slightly crackly selector switch but I've read that it's not uncommon. The neck is perfect, the bridge construction is innovative and it works, the body resonates like a drum head. No corners seem to have been cut (besides the contouring of the body, ha-ha). It's just kept very simple appointment-wise. Nothing fancy either, besides Taylor's own innovations on this range of guitars.

The only thing that holds it back in my case its the amplifier - not anything great, just works well enough for playing at home and not having to fire up software first. It's a Laney LC15R for anybody interested.

I hope you can give me some more insight into this.

Thanks!

CZ
Old 07-09-2012, 04:45 PM

I think its difficult to fully compare apples to apples here. I’ve got a Taylor Solidbody and love it. I look at this guitar from a versatility standpoint. You can get the thickness of the LP and the not so thick of the Fend’s. Just like amplifiers, the only way to sound like 1 specific brand/model is to have that one brand/model. To me the solid body is a bit of a swiss army knife. I’d like to try a set of the high gain pups to see what they could offer over my 3/4 HD pups.

Overall I think they are well constructed, well designed guitars. I’ve seen LP’s for double the cost which I have wondered how one could justify its price vs overall build quality. But I guess because they have the big G on the head justifies it.

I play my Taylor through a Fender Hot Rod and it seems to do quite well whether I’m playing to some Pat Benetar to GNR to Megadeth.

Last edited by Xtremca; 07-09-2012 at 04:58 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:37 PM

Cool! Versatility was also one of my main reasons to want this guitar. The reason I actually got it was a reasonable price drop. I had to have it.

I also have the 3/4 HD 'buckers. Two pickguards I'm interested in - the 3x SC for a Strat-like quality without sounding like a Fender, the other is the Alnico V full-size humbucker one. That 3x SC is still in question though, HSS might be more useful but I like the qualities that 3 SC's give to a guitar.

So I guess they're on par with others sound-wise, all that I wonder now is about their construction and build quality - whether it's the same, better or worse than similar or higher priced big-name brands like what I mentioned. I don't have enough experience with them to know for myself, but it sure does look like Taylor's right on the money.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:43 PM

I had one for a while (a roadshow prototype in sparkle purple) and it was very well made and could do many sounds. The inconsistent electrical connections inside drove me nuts enough that I eventually sold it. I felt that even if I sent it back to Taylor, I could never trust that it wouldn't cut out when I really needed it, something I've never experienced with any of my other electrics.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:22 PM

I think they're well made, good sounding instruments, that just happen to be really bland on the design end.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 07-09-2012, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cue Zephyr View Post
So I guess they're on par with others sound-wise, all that I wonder now is about their construction and build quality - whether it's the same, better or worse than similar or higher priced big-name brands like what I mentioned. I don't have enough experience with them to know for myself, but it sure does look like Taylor's right on the money.
Maybe check out this youtube vid. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DumP5LgIX1A

They are a fairly machined pc of equipment so the consistency is going to be like the acoustics and fairly consistent down the line. I’ve heard of some folks who have had a scratchy pot on their model. I can’t say I’ve experienced it on my personal guitar.

I do agree with beaumont that many are fairly bland, but I’d love to have a trans teal or trans ppl version of my dark walnut.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by googoobaby View Post
I had one for a while (a roadshow prototype in sparkle purple) and it was very well made and could do many sounds. The inconsistent electrical connections inside drove me nuts enough that I eventually sold it. I felt that even if I sent it back to Taylor, I could never trust that it wouldn't cut out when I really needed it, something I've never experienced with any of my other electrics.
Oh that's just too bad. I haven't had problems with my electronics. I haven't read about that either so I assume they've fixed that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
I think they're well made, good sounding instruments, that just happen to be really bland on the design end.
They aren't eye-catchers indeed, but I feel that way about so many standard issue guitars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremca View Post
Maybe check out this youtube vid. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DumP5LgIX1A

They are a fairly machined pc of equipment so the consistency is going to be like the acoustics and fairly consistent down the line. I’ve heard of some folks who have had a scratchy pot on their model. I can’t say I’ve experienced it on my personal guitar.

I do agree with beaumont that many are fairly bland, but I’d love to have a trans teal or trans ppl version of my dark walnut.
I've seen that video, actually - very nice indeed.

It's not really a scratchy pot, it's the selector switch that crackles a bit on switching.

They sure do have some nice colors and styles coming out as of late, compared to their release.

Still looking for a hands-on comparison experience, though.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:18 PM

Son, you need to get a real mans guitar and this means a Les Paul and start wethering leathers ...
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 07-10-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibbyPrague View Post
Son, you need to get a real mans guitar and this means a Les Paul and start wethering leathers ...
Tele first, if ever. ;D
Old 07-10-2012, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cue Zephyr View Post
They aren't eye-catchers indeed, but I feel that way about so many standard issue guitars.
My sparkle purple one was certainly an eye-catcher. I can't seem to find any photos of it unfortunately.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibbyPrague View Post
...dark glasses and maybe a toupee...

I tried a couple of those Taylor solidbody guitars in a shop and thought they were pretty good.

All electric guitar pots and switches start to crackle eventually. You can pay to have someone fix it, but they're very simple inside. For twenty bucks get a spray can of contact cleaner and a small soldering iron and you can fix it yourself.

I have one of those Laney LC15Rs. They're actually a good sounding amp. They sound a lot like a Vox AC15. The reverb is the weak link.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by googoobaby View Post
My sparkle purple one was certainly an eye-catcher. I can't seem to find any photos of it unfortunately.
That even sounds like an eye-catcher. I have never seen one though. And frankly, I'd love to see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyver View Post
...dark glasses and maybe a toupee...

I tried a couple of those Taylor solidbody guitars in a shop and thought they were pretty good.

All electric guitar pots and switches start to crackle eventually. You can pay to have someone fix it, but they're very simple inside. For twenty bucks get a spray can of contact cleaner and a small soldering iron and you can fix it yourself.

I have one of those Laney LC15Rs. They're actually a good sounding amp. They sound a lot like a Vox AC15. The reverb is the weak link.
I'm not sure if the issue was as simple as that. I've read in a topic I previously posted here that the switch was 'over-engineered' and it could be easily fixed.

I thought the Laney VC15 was supposed to sound more like a Vox. And the LC15 more like a Marshall. Because if that's wrong and the Linebacker is actually supposed to be a bit like an AC15 then I'm really missing some chime. Or I have to use the bright switch. I used that in the beginning but quickly switched it off and left it there.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:58 AM

I always left the bright switch on.

My LC15 isn't working. It would cut out when it warmed up. A friend of a friend fixed it, but the pc board is old and the traces keep breaking. I've been thinking of building a Champ head kit and putting it in the box.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyver View Post
I always left the bright switch on.

My LC15 isn't working. It would cut out when it warmed up. A friend of a friend fixed it, but the pc board is old and the traces keep breaking. I've been thinking of building a Champ head kit and putting it in the box.
That's really too bad! I guess I got really lucky with mine. I'm certain (but don't hope) mine will develop those issues. But mine does get fairly hot and all that heat just hangs around in the chassis possibly shortening the life of everything in there

I've read before that someone took the Laney amp out and put a Champ circuit in it with good results.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:16 PM

It's a decent little amp, but I bought it used and didn't pay much, and got a couple of years use out of it, so I don't feel bad.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars