The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-10-2012, 08:18 AM
Charter Member

Default G&L ASAT "S" and/or Variax JTV-69 reviews?

Hey all,

Ok, so this is the AGF, but I was hoping for this question it could be the EGF, lol.

I'm looking at two electrics, with a primary focus on versatility. I'm playing with a group of 40-somethings and up, classic rock, country rock, etc. I was thinking Telecaster or Strat, although at times a good Les Paul sound would be necessary too.

For Tele/Strat, G & L has an ASAT "S" that more or less allows you to set the pickups to achieve both guitar sounds. Fender has one too, but G & L has more functionality and I would have to pay to modify the Fender to get that. So, does anyone have this specific model, and if so, what do you think?

For what appears to be ultimate versatility, Line 6 has a guitar that is called that Variax. I like the styling of the "69" model. This guitar supposedly allows you emulate something like 25 different guitars from Strat/Tele to Les Paul to Gretsch, and then some acoustics. You can also change the tunings on the fly. It's all based on computer wizardry and I have to admit, the YouTube demos are pretty amazing. So, I would like to get an opinion from owners of this "Swiss Army Knife" of electric guitars on things like durability, sound emulation accuracy and so on. It runs about $1400 and places like Musician's Friend are running 15% sales for Mom's day, so it would come it at just under $1200, which is only a few hundred more than I was willing to spend on something less versatile.

Thoughts?

Thanks all!!

Mike

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 06-19-2012, 06:54 PM

I play in a couple of 60s and 70s cover bands. I was using my Taylor 814ce for the acoustic sound and a Gibson ES-135 clone for the electric sound. I absolutely loved both guitars, but I hated switching back and forth depending on the sound that the song needed.

So, about 6 months ago I did some research and found the James Tyler Variax series of guitars. My wife, who has a fantastic ear, could not really tell the difference between the acoustic settings and the Taylor, AND, in addition 2 two Martin modes, a Gibson model, and 2 12-string models, I have the choice of electric sounds of a Tele, Strat, Les Paul, LP Special, Rickenbacher, Gretch, and yes banjo and sitar.

PLUS, I can do the vitual capo and alternate tunings with a roll of a dial. We do play a lot of songs capo 1, 2, 3, and 5.

I ended up purchasing a JTV-69 Variax from Sweetwater (none locally in San Antonio), and it was the best purchase I ever made for my bands.

2003 Taylor 814cES
2000 Taylor K14c
2011 James Tyler Variax JTV-69, Lake Placid Blue
JR Beck SHC-908 (ES 135 copy)
Crate Powerblock and JDesign custom cabinet

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/stevefeinstein,
The Tim and Bob Show buy our CD at http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/timandbob
http://www.feintuned.com
Old 06-19-2012, 10:28 PM
Charter Member

Hey Steve,

Thanks for the reply. Been so long since I posted that question, I actually forgot it was still out there. I did ultimately buy the Variax, but returned it almost right away. It was simply overkill for me. It was a very nice guitar, but much more complicated that I was really looking for. I went with a Fender Deluxe Power Strat that has a Humbucker at the bridge and 2 single-coil pickups. It also has a Piezo for acoustic sounds, and it sounds very nice. I picked it up for about $600 and am investing another $550 in putting in custom pickups and a few additional electronics that will allow me to get creative without complexity, so this guitar should give me Les Paul, Strat, and Tele tones as well as the acoustic. I'll go from electic to acoustic with the flip of a toggle, or blend the sounds. It really is all I need.

For a seriously gigging musician, the Variax was terrific, though, and I hope you continue to enjoy it!

Thanks again,
Mike

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 06-20-2012, 08:28 AM

If you are talking about the G&L Classic S they are flippin' great guitars. I owned one from the second run. It remains the only guitar I have ever bought brand spankin' new and can recommend it highly. Beautifuly made and extremely versatile. I gather G&L has a new run of "thin skin" Classic S guitars.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
If you are talking about the G&L Classic S they are flippin' great guitars. I owned one from the second run. It remains the only guitar I have ever bought brand spankin' new and can recommend it highly. Beautifuly made and extremely versatile. I gather G&L has a new run of "thin skin" Classic S guitars.
I love the G&L tele style guitars.

2003 Taylor 814cES
2000 Taylor K14c
2011 James Tyler Variax JTV-69, Lake Placid Blue
JR Beck SHC-908 (ES 135 copy)
Crate Powerblock and JDesign custom cabinet

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/stevefeinstein,
The Tim and Bob Show buy our CD at http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/timandbob
http://www.feintuned.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars