The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-26-2008, 12:14 AM

Location: 3 miles from the Rose Bowl, 3 miles from Dodger Stadium

Rickenbacker or Gretsch.

Play on, pick often, and prosper. Have fun on your journey of discovery. Regards....Goofyfoot.
Gibson Custom Shop Non-Reverse Firebird ~ Gretsch G6120 TM Chet Atkins + G6128 TSP Duo Jet ~ G&L ASAT Special Semi-Hollow ~ Yamaha SSC-500 ~ Rickenbacker 360/6 + 370/6 + 330/12 ~ Yamaha P-200 Digital Piano
-------------------
"Play on, pick often, & prosper."
Old 03-26-2008, 12:22 AM

Currently, I'm using a G&L Tribute ASAT Special when I play for church. It can get the Tele sound, but it is capable of getting different sounds too. It's a very versatile guitar. I love it and have subsequently sold my Les Paul Studio with P94s (single coil pickups... i wasn't a fan of the stock humbuckers in there). Don't automatically discount the Tribute series because they are cheaper and made overseas... i played all the G&Ls and Tributes in the store that day and the Tribute played and sounded better than the rest

i should take pics and post them one day.....

Taylor 614ce (walnut/englemann) "Kayla"
Gretsch Pro Jet (with Bigsby!)
Old 03-26-2008, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinter View Post
Another vote for G&L. I'm a G&L junky! I currently own 16 of them. Since you're wanting to stay away from strat style guitars my suggestion is the G&L, Asat Classic Custom. Here's my Asat Classic Custom:
That's a beautiful redburst. One of my favorite G&L color options.

Many rule out G&L only because they haven't heard of them before or their local dealer doesn't get them in. My advice is find a way to try them out. They're great quality instruments.
Old 03-26-2008, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorman22 View Post
The 3/4 size humbuckers in the Classic should be a bit bigger sounding than a standard sing coil shouldn't they? My local Taylor dealer just got a Classic in, so they aren't very familiar with it. They couldn't tell me much about it.

ya they should be a bit warmer sounding.
I am one of those who can never really have to hot or warm of a humbucker as I can dial out volume or back off to get my tone easier than getting a lesser pup to scream when needed.

Anyway I have played a classic( Taylor) though a Roland cube amp and got some pretty good tone out of it. Pup could handle a variety of amp sims well.
I would say if you want something warmer than a single coil but not as hot as some full on HBer`s the Taylor 3/4 just may be for you. If you can ply one i`ld recommend it. Even take your amp or Pod in with you to try it out so you know what you are getting.

Lee
Old 03-27-2008, 05:27 PM

Does anyone here know if Jim at Guitar Rodeo sells Fenders, or is he just a Taylor dealer? I can call tomorrow and ask him, I just figured I'd see if someone here could answer my question first.
Epiphone EJ-200 (2015)
Old 03-27-2008, 10:23 PM

Guitar Rodeo is a Taylor-exclusive dealer. Besides, once you see a Taylor solidbody, you'll be thinking "What's a Fender and why do I care?"

Ovation CSE24
Old 03-28-2008, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereIGoAgain View Post
Guitar Rodeo is a Taylor-exclusive dealer. Besides, once you see a Taylor solidbody, you'll be thinking "What's a Fender and why do I care?"
Yeah, I saw a Taylor solidbody at my local Taylor dealer the other day. It was the white classic model. I didn't like the white when I first saw pictures, but in person it was beautiful. I didn't realize that you could see the would grain through the white finish. I'm leaning towards that one and buying it through Jim, but I'm going to Guitar Center today to play a few Strats.
Epiphone EJ-200 (2015)
Old 03-29-2008, 10:15 AM

Default Sure you're right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereIGoAgain View Post
I use to say the same thing, and worse...after I bought my first electric guitar, a Gibson Les Paul Deluxe...

Then the Fender "bug" bit me...

HARD!
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 03-29-2008, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
but I'm going to Guitar Center today to play a few Strats.
Be careful....Strats can be addictive.....and don't forget to try a nice Tele (tele selection not usually great at GC but they should have a few nices ones).
Collings 290, Suhr Antique Classic Limited Edition Roasted, PRS Silver SkyFender Super Champ XD, Boss Katana 100, Helix Floor
Old 03-29-2008, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kensmith View Post
Be careful....Strats can be addictive.....and don't forget to try a nice Tele (tele selection not usually great at GC but they should have a few nices ones).
Played both yesterday......american deluxe strat HSS and an american deluxe tele in the aged cherry bust. I REALLY liked the Tele. It just felt nice and played great. I didn't get a chance to see what overdrive tone I could get, but the clean tone was amazing.
Epiphone EJ-200 (2015)
Old 03-29-2008, 10:46 AM

Default Oops!

Quote:
Played both yesterday......american deluxe strat HSS and an american deluxe tele in the aged cherry bust. I REALLY liked the Tele. It just felt nice and played great. I didn't get a chance to see what overdrive tone I could get, but the clean tone was amazing.
Too late, that Fender "bug" did bite you!
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 03-29-2008, 11:22 AM

I play in a Worship band..mainly acoustic but for songs which require electric I use a Telecaster...can't beat that twaaaaang.
Old 03-29-2008, 12:17 PM

I didn't realize until I started this thread that Ben Gowell, Paul Baloche's electric player, uses an American Deluxe Tele. I think it sounds great for their music. I just wonder if the Tele and my Pod could give me a beefy enough sound to do some Lincoln Brewster and Hillsong stuff.
Epiphone EJ-200 (2015)
Old 03-29-2008, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchelB View Post
I use to say the same thing, and worse...after I bought my first electric guitar, a Gibson Les Paul Deluxe...

Then the Fender "bug" bit me...

HARD!
I hope the bug bit harder than the fret ends that poke out past the side of the fingerboards.

Just kidding. The good thing about guitars is that people can find what they enjoy and enjoy what they find.

Ovation CSE24
Old 07-10-2012, 07:17 PM

I'm biased of course but after trying a ton of electrics I would recommend the following:

Strat Type: DeTemple or Lentz

Tele Type: DeTemple or Lentz

Les Paul Type: Huber Orca

These are the three "main" types of electrics, but there are also the following:

- Duesenberg
- Gibson 335 Type: Collings I-35 or I-35 LC (one of my next acquisitions most likely)

Don't forget a great amp and pedals (and there are many!)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars