The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-25-2008, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtmed View Post
Taylorman22,

We have a lot in common. A also play similar worship music to you and dumped my T5 for the same reasons. I currently have three electrics that I rotate through, but have owned many other. I also used to play through a pod mostly secondary to ease of just plugging into the PA. However I have recently upgraded to mic and amp set-up. Maybe I can give you some insight into my guitar choices. First choice is an American deluxe HSS strat (two single coils and a humbucker with S1 switch.) single coils for some clean with hmbucker for beefier worship songs.) Second choice Taylor solidbody (I have standard which sounds awesome. (It did produce a little noise in the system when I was using just a pod xtl, but only audible through in ear sytem never played the classic) Third american deluxe tele (which I added a humbucker to for beefier worship sets). I didn't love les pauls secondary to the weight and cost for what you get. I also had a PRS santana for a while, but didn't really love the neck. Now these are all just my preferences and probably don't mean a thing. I would say the AM deluxe strat is the most versatile and best value of the three, but I also love the Taylor equally the necks on both are perfect for me. I would recommend that you play the heck out of something at the store if possible before you decide.
I guess I am vein. I can't get over the looks of the Strats. I think they are ugly. I know it's not about looks though, it's about tone. I'm pretty familiar with the Fender line, as our main lead player used to play a Strat. He just bought a PRS Custom 22 a few weeks ago though. That has replaced the Strat. I'm really liking the looks and sound of the Taylor Standard solidbody. If it's close in sound/quality to the Strat, the looks would push it over the edge. I know there are several people on this forum though that aren't Taylor solidbody fans.....including one of my best friends. He thinks they're terrible. I just don't want to keep buying and selling. I'd like to find something and stick with it.

So, did you get rid of the XTL because you get better tone with the amp/mic setup? Our second amp at church is a Mesa Boogie tube amp. I don't know the model. It was around $700 new. It's got a nice sound, but the problem is we have to turn it up so loud to get to the sweet spot that it's too loud for the stage. That's one reason why I'm leaning towards keeping the XTL and going direct to the PA. With my T5, I noticed a lot of noise when connecting to the XTL. I'm hoping that was the T5 and not the XTL.

FYI, I'm planning on buying used. I'd rather buy a better used guitar than a lesser quality new guitar.
Epiphone EJ-200 (2015)

Last edited by taylorman22; 03-25-2008 at 10:04 AM.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:03 AM
.tom the übergeek

I used an XTLive exclusively for several years. It was OK. I got tones that I was happy with except when I played my tube amps and then I noticed how much the XTL lacked. My recommendation is to find a good guitar that fits you first. Then, try a plexi amp shield (much like the ones used for loud drum kits). If you still can't manage the volume, look at the XTL as a decent alternative.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:03 AM

Personally, I like the flexibility and tone of the Les Paul's. Strats have never really appealed to me all that much but for rhythm and lead tones, you simply cannot do without a LP! I would say the vast majority of Christian artists are playing strats or some variant so if that's the sound you're after, I would get an American Strat. G&L's are a little out of your price range but if you can find a used one, that may be in your ballpark. OR a new Les Paul Studio is right at your price point and you get dual humbuckers which can give you a nice fat tone and screaming lead lines. I use my LP for worship (when I"m not using the Crowdster +) and it fits the bill quite nicely. What type of amp will you be using?
Larrivee OM-03R
Old 03-25-2008, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miteemike3 View Post
Personally, I like the flexibility and tone of the Les Paul's. Strats have never really appealed to me all that much but for rhythm and lead tones, you simply cannot do without a LP! I would say the vast majority of Christian artists are playing strats or some variant so if that's the sound you're after, I would get an American Strat. G&L's are a little out of your price range but if you can find a used one, that may be in your ballpark. OR a new Les Paul Studio is right at your price point and you get dual humbuckers which can give you a nice fat tone and screaming lead lines. I use my LP for worship (when I"m not using the Crowdster +) and it fits the bill quite nicely. What type of amp will you be using?
If I keep using the XTL, I'll go direct to the PA. If I use an amp, I'll be using our Mesa Boogie tube amp. I don't know the model. It's about 5 years old or so and we paid around $700 new.
Epiphone EJ-200 (2015)
Old 03-25-2008, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorman22 View Post
If I keep using the XTL, I'll go direct to the PA. If I use an amp, I'll be using our Mesa Boogie tube amp. I don't know the model. It's about 5 years old or so and we paid around $700 new.
I think, actually i KNOW once you start using that Mesa Boogie you're never going to want to use an XTL through the PA.
Larrivee OM-03R
Old 03-25-2008, 05:22 PM

http://www.calvaryfellowship.org/audio?tag=Type/Worship

I know you are not leaning toward the Strat. If you check out the link above. Brett Williams is leading with his Texas Telecaster into an XTL straight into the PA. He play's the same music as you mentioned. You would have to listen to:
Sunday, March 9, 2008, Sunday, September 16, 2007, Monday, September 24, 2007 to hear his electric. The rest he is leading with his Taylor. One of the dates I mentioned he opens with a Paul Baloche Song "Praise Adonai".

I think it sounds great for leading worship!
Old 03-25-2008, 05:46 PM
Regular Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by miteemike3 View Post
I think, actually i KNOW once you start using that Mesa Boogie you're never going to want to use an XTL through the PA.
Yup...Mesas are sweet.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larriaxe View Post
http://www.calvaryfellowship.org/audio?tag=Type/Worship

I know you are not leaning toward the Strat. If you check out the link above. Brett Williams is leading with his Texas Telecaster into an XTL straight into the PA. He play's the same music as you mentioned. You would have to listen to:
Sunday, March 9, 2008, Sunday, September 16, 2007, Monday, September 24, 2007 to hear his electric. The rest he is leading with his Taylor. One of the dates I mentioned he opens with a Paul Baloche Song "Praise Adonai".

I think it sounds great for leading worship!
Yeah, that sounds real good. I just talk to another buddy of mine who is good friends with a local music store owner. He can get me a very good deal on a new American Deluxe HSS or American Deluxe Strat. It comes out to be almost exactly the same cost as a new Taylor Solidbody Classic from Jim @ Guitar Rodeo. I've narrowed it down to these two.
Epiphone EJ-200 (2015)
Old 03-25-2008, 06:09 PM

Another vote for G&L. I'm a G&L junky! I currently own 16 of them. Since you're wanting to stay away from strat style guitars my suggestion is the G&L, Asat Classic Custom. Here's my Asat Classic Custom:

The bridge pickup will give you a bitey/twangy Telecaster tone while the neck pickup is very full sounding, and well balanced. The two pickups together blend nicely.

Sprinter
'63 Fender Jazzmaster
'72 Fender Telecaster Bass
'74 Fender Telecaster
Old 03-25-2008, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Yeah, that sounds real good. I just talk to another buddy of mine who is good friends with a local music store owner. He can get me a very good deal on a new American Deluxe HSS or American Deluxe Strat. It comes out to be almost exactly the same cost as a new Taylor Solidbody Classic from Jim @ Guitar Rodeo. I've narrowed it down to these two.
Having owned an HSS and owning an Am. Dlx. Ash with SCN/S1 and having read Sprinter's Tele-type post.

Make sure you try that HSS before you plunge because the bridge humbucker might be a lot hotter sounding than you want for a general audience. Next know that the Dlx. with the SCN/S1 is a humbucker guitar technically, but really Strat sounding in most modes (does have authentic quack when you want it) yet can have humbucker warmth with the S1.

On to Sprinter's post. Don't overlook a Tele. Mine and my 00 acoustic would be the last to go. Tele tone is more versatile than many think.

Have fun with it all and don't forget a black faced amp if you're getting a Leo and/or George type guitar!
Old 03-25-2008, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
Having owned an HSS and owning an Am. Dlx. Ash with SCN/S1 and having read Sprinter's Tele-type post.

Make sure you try that HSS before you plunge because the bridge humbucker might be a lot hotter sounding than you want for a general audience. Next know that the Dlx. with the SCN/S1 is a humbucker guitar technically, but really Strat sounding in most modes (does have authentic quack when you want it) yet can have humbucker warmth with the S1.

On to Sprinter's post. Don't overlook a Tele. Mine and my 00 acoustic would be the last to go. Tele tone is more versatile than many think.

Have fun with it all and don't forget a black faced amp if you're getting a Leo and/or George type guitar!
Good point. That might be the case with the two fullsize humbuckers in the Taylor Standard. It might be a bit hot for a church audience or worship environment.
Epiphone EJ-200 (2015)
Old 03-25-2008, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Good point. That might be the case with the two fullsize humbuckers in the Taylor Standard. It might be a bit hot for a church audience or worship environment.
The best player in my church's worship band has an Ibanez with dual HBs and a floyd, and another guy in the same band has a similar Schecter to the one I have. If you like it, go for it.

Ovation CSE24
Old 03-25-2008, 09:32 PM
.tom the übergeek

I like the minihumbuckers in the Classic....a WHOLE bunch. That guitar smokes. I'll take one in Red please.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:44 PM

actually I don`t buy the too hot humbucker deal unless you are talking a dimebucker etc. I have used ESP ltd 1000 w/duncan pups and a esp 400 w/ duncan pups.both good but sometimes clean just not quite sharp enough.

I also had a PRS singlecut SE that worked very well. Better playing than a almost 2 grand Les Paul I once owned!!!

ya want to know what my fav was??? a Cherry colored Gibson Elxplorer. the 500T and 498T ceramics are nice. Good SMOOTH overdirve with bite and when I used the neck pick up on clean channles and roll off volume a tad was the clearest and best sounding clean of any guitar I owned.

As far as hot or overdrive. beieve it or not if you are playing backing on a balad type song the stronger and smoother the distortion the better really. You want to blend like a string section not bite and stick out.

Not a hug single coil fan.BUT a good friend of mine has a PRS SE soap bar and it really does a nice crunch and bluesy tone you just can`t quite get with any other pup.

Lee
Old 03-25-2008, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeasam View Post
actually I don`t buy the too hot humbucker deal unless you are talking a dimebucker etc. I have used ESP ltd 1000 w/duncan pups and a esp 400 w/ duncan pups.both good but sometimes clean just not quite sharp enough.

I also had a PRS singlecut SE that worked very well. Better playing than a almost 2 grand Les Paul I once owned!!!

ya want to know what my fav was??? a Cherry colored Gibson Elxplorer. the 500T and 498T ceramics are nice. Good SMOOTH overdirve with bite and when I used the neck pick up on clean channles and roll off volume a tad was the clearest and best sounding clean of any guitar I owned.

As far as hot or overdrive. beieve it or not if you are playing backing on a balad type song the stronger and smoother the distortion the better really. You want to blend like a string section not bite and stick out.

Not a hug single coil fan.BUT a good friend of mine has a PRS SE soap bar and it really does a nice crunch and bluesy tone you just can`t quite get with any other pup.

Lee
The 3/4 size humbuckers in the Classic should be a bit bigger sounding than a standard sing coil shouldn't they? My local Taylor dealer just got a Classic in, so they aren't very familiar with it. They couldn't tell me much about it.
Epiphone EJ-200 (2015)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars