The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-19-2017, 06:47 PM

Default Nylon Specs Update

I recently did some nature recordings of a stream and birds at sunrise, with the intention of overdubbing a long meandering improvised solo over the top. I found the best way to mimic the cascading sound of the water is to use lots of hammer on/pull off very fast with almost no plucking. This required more space between the first string and the fretboard edge to avoid slipping off the frets, so I made a new nut.

Before making the nut, I went back and played a classical guitar in the same style, and it was amazingly stable. Even with medium tension strings and high action, the flat fretboard really does keep everything in place. For me to achieve the same level of stability on my current crossover, with extra hard tension strings, 2mm string height, and a 16" fretboard radius, I had to increase the fretboard edge gap to 4.5mm at the nut and 5.5mm at the 12th fret. Add this to my preferred string spacing of 41.5mm, and we're at 46mm. Add 3mm edge gap for the 6th string and the nut width becomes 49mm.

If my goal is to keep the nut width at 48mm or 48.5mm, then a 20" fretboard radius is a must. And, considering that what I really want is a guitar based on classical dimensions, with the only modifications being the narrower neck, rounder neck profile, radiused fretboard, and cutaway, I started to wonder who would ever build such a thing? A true crossover, based on the dimensions of the finest classical guitars, with the only modifications being ergonomic for players with a steel string history, seems obvious to me. But no one is doing it.

Then I remembered Alistair Hay Custom Design. Instead of going with a modified X20, X10, or X7, I can spec out the whole guitar (which I'm already doing anyway) and have a first-of-its-kind instrument. This is promising.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:13 AM
Guest 928

Tom2;

I look forward to your custom order. I like your specs and would question only one aspect. I like cutaways, but I've always felt there's a bit of price to be paid in terms of volume and tone. What's your take on that?
Old 09-22-2017, 05:55 PM

I've never done a side by side comparison, so it's just speculation.

Sound seems to like symmetry and roundness, so my guess is that an upper bout without a cutaway would be sonically superior, and the additional volume of air probably contributes to more bass. However, this sonic contribution may be so small as to be imperceptible when compared to a cutaway.

A much more noticeable sonic difference would come from shifting the bridge from the 12 fret position to the 14 fret position. So if I am looking to access beyond the 12th fret, and my goal is to keep the sound as harmonically pure as possible, I would keep the bridge in the 12 fret position and add a cutaway.
Old 09-22-2017, 06:07 PM
Guest 928

Tom2;

That is essentially my conclusion. However, I've also felt that there is a diminishment of volume when the cutaway is added. I could be wrong. But wrong or right, I want the cutaway.
Old 09-23-2017, 03:29 PM

If I was a "tone first" person, there would be no cutaway. But I'm not. I'm a comfort and playability person. After all, music is supposed to be fun.

The 12 fret bridge position brings the nut closer to my body, which allows my left arm to hang loosely by my side. This reduces muscle tension in my left shoulder and makes everything more comfortable.

For playability, I need clear access to 15 frets. Since relocation of the bridge is not an option, for comfort reasons, a cutaway is the only way and tone is what it is.

A guitar that I can play every day for years without muscle fatigue is magic. If it feels good in my hands, I can make any guitar sing regardless of its inherent tone. If it doesn't feel good in my hands, even if it has the greatest inherent tone in the world, I never get to hear that tone because I simply don't choose to play that guitar.

I listen to my body as much as I listen to the instrument.
Old 09-23-2017, 06:00 PM
Guest 928

Tom2;

I'm with you. In my book, tone is an acquired taste. And I do like having a reach to the 16th fret--which I can do with my Emerald guitars. What you don't mention is volume. I think the cutaway diminishes the volume, something I am willing to live with, but would like to see enhanced.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber