The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-06-2024, 10:45 AM

Default Is Anyone Following The New Harmony Guitars?

Once the most recognized name in musical instruments, Harmony underwent some dips and changes in the 1970s after producing possibly more instruments than any other company since its founding in 1892. It resurfaced in 2018 under the new ownership of Singapore-based BandLab Technologies.

Oh no, "Not another offshore company!" you might bemoan. But in fact, USA made Harmony Guitars are built in Kalamazoo, Michigan by the Heritage Guitar Company. Heritage Guitars is also owned by BandLab.

Recently, I came across a video by Tim Pierce (ranked among the top ten session guitarists) playing a Harmony Jupiter Thinline, and while not being endorsed or sponsored by Harmony, he declared, "I'm keeping this one!" He's actually done a couple of videos featuring Harmony guitars. In this he talks about the Comet (< 8 minutes)

Made in USA. Priced reasonably (all electrics are US $1499)

So, what's not to like? Except there's no talk being heard.
Old 03-06-2024, 11:06 AM

I've yet to encounter one in person...they must not have the best distribution, as I can usually find almost everything here in Chicago.

Very cool aesthetic. Some of the old Chicago guitars (Harmony and Kay) were really great...and then of course, a lot were pretty awful.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 03-06-2024, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
I've yet to encounter one in person...they must not have the best distribution, as I can usually find almost everything here in Chicago.

Very cool aesthetic. Some of the old Chicago guitars (Harmony and Kay) were really great...and then of course, a lot were pretty awful.
I suspect they may currently be going the direct-to-consumer route. There is a "shopping cart" for each model on their web site. Sweetwater says they have them in stock (here), Guitar Center less so, Musician's Friend a mix of old and new, but a bit of a crap shoot with the smaller shops (CME, AMS, etc.).
Old 03-06-2024, 06:18 PM

I've got a 1st year Juno. Build quality is as good or better than my 2019 LP Special. Nitro finished mahogany body and 3 bolt neck, ebony board, locking tuners, P90s, and 3 barrel thru body tele style bridge. Just volume with a pull up tone voicing and PU selector. Light and easier on my shoulder than my Tele or LP.

Parsons Street built pickups have these cheesy gold foil slots but they are nice P90s

Kinda looks like a 50s Harmony model but its a different animal entirely. Its a nice simple, small. light, and cozy guitar that sounds great through a 5w tube amp.
Old 03-07-2024, 11:57 AM

Haven't played one, but I like what I've seen, read, and heard online.
Old 03-08-2024, 05:58 AM

If I'm in the Sweetwater showroom, I always pick up a Juno to play - very light and nicely built.

D.H.
Old 03-08-2024, 06:36 AM

Frankly, I'm more intrigued by the new amp line - looks like a significantly more affordable alternative to the Fender Vintage Modified offerings - and the Reissue Series '60s-style hollowbodies...
Old 03-09-2024, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Frankly, I'm more intrigued by the new amp line - looks like a significantly more affordable alternative to the Fender Vintage Modified offerings - and the Reissue Series '60s-style hollowbodies...
I ordered an H620 amp two years ago this month. I one day hope to actually get it.
Old 03-09-2024, 04:33 AM
Charter Member

Pity they aren't reproducing the flat tops and archtops!
Old 03-09-2024, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67goat View Post
I ordered an H620 amp two years ago this month. I one day hope to actually get it.
Sweetwater doesn't even list the amps - I suppose they're still in the vaporware category.

D.H.
Old 03-11-2024, 11:42 AM

uh oh,, this could spell trouble.

I really like this one.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 03-17-2024, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Pity they aren't reproducing the flat tops and archtops!
Agreed. I actually emailed them to ask if they had plans to enter the budget archtop market. No response, but at least I am on their mailing list now.
Old 03-17-2024, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

The semi hollow Comet looks interesting although it's a little smaller than a 335. Not that there's anything wrong with that. The pricing is great for US made instruments and the connection to Heritage and the old Gibson plant doesn't hurt.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars