The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-18-2023, 09:35 AM

Default Stratocasters

Opinions wanted.

I'm taking an online course for which I need a Stratocaster that I can string heavy (11s) and tune down a 1/2 step to get SRV tones from the neck pickup. I'd prefer jumbo or medium jumbo frets and a rosewood fretboard, and I don't care at all about tremolo bars. I just want the tone I'm looking for and for the thing to stay in tune.

I don't know this line very well, and I haven't liked the Strats I've owned in the past (but we're talking decades ago). Where's the 'value' point in this lineup? Are Mexican Strats any good? Am I better off buying American? Are there acceptable substitutes? Is the PRS SE Silver Sky a possibility? Etc.
Old 02-18-2023, 09:49 AM

I think the Mexican made Fender Strats are great!

But if you want to chase SRV's tone, you'll be needing to string with much heavier cables than 11's.
Old 02-18-2023, 10:03 AM

One word of caution. If you are an acoustic player who is used to wider nut widths, be aware that all the Squiers and, as far as I know, all the Mexican Strats up through the Player series have 1-5/8" nut widths. And some of the American Strats do too.

I know the American Performer series and some of the other Americans have 1-11/16" nuts. But I'm not a Strat guy and don't know all the details, so Your best bet is to go to Fender's website and look at the specs.

Actually, the best thing would be to be one of those players that can pick up anything and play it fine without worrying about specs. I wish I was one of them.
Old 02-18-2023, 10:18 AM

Mex Strats are great. I played one of the older ones from the 90s for years and got the SRV tone exactly. And yes, you'll need bigger strings than 11s to get that fatter tone. I was using Boomer 13s and nailed the tone. Tuning down a half step will be easier on your fingers too. Have fun!
Old 02-18-2023, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

The new Player Plus Strats are all 1 11/16. I tried to find the PP Tele with 3 pickups last time I stopped at GC, but they didn't have one. If you don't care for a Tremelo, that Tele might be something to look at.
Old 02-18-2023, 11:05 AM

Opinions wanted. I'd prefer jumbo or medium jumbo frets and a rosewood fretboard, and I don't care at all about tremolo bars. I just want the tone I'm looking for and for the thing to stay in tune.

I don't know this line very well, and I haven't liked the Strats I've owned in the past (but we're talking decades ago). Where's the 'value' point in this lineup? Are Mexican Strats any good? Am I better off buying American? Are there acceptable substitutes? Is the PRS SE Silver Sky a possibility? Etc.

There are quite a few friendly folks on https://www.strat-talk.com that can help you with your Strat questions.

I'm no expert, but have put together a few partscasters. MIM (mexico) Strats are considered mostly equalivant to USA strats in terms of body, finish and hardware. USA necks get a little more TLC and both countries offer a bewildering variety of pickups I'm not qualified to weigh in on.

The budget Squire Classic Vibe 60's model gets a lot of praise on Strat-talk, so that's your value point which might work for you if an Indian Laural fretboard is ok instead of rosewood. However the frets aren't medium jumbo. Bigger frets are going to make your shopping difficult as recent years, Fender has decided to offer mostly "vintage tall" spec frets on most of their models.

The MIM "Player Series" Strat has medium jumbo's and Pau Fero fretboard, so I'd check that out first. This site https://guitar.com/features/opinion-...an-guitar-rig/ recommends it as a good SRV ax.

For my style of playing higher up the neck, the 1 5/8" nut width you usually find on Strats really isn't an issue. A more critical spec you should be aware of is the E to E string width at the bridge. Fender offers on some models what they call a "vintage width" bridge which is 2 7/32" versus their standard width of 2 1/16". I have the 2 7/32" width which is the same as all my Larrivee acoustics. With a bit of setup tweaking and heavier strings I have my strat set up really close to the action and feel of my acoustics, yet so much easier to play.

Rock solid tuning stability is easy to accomplish by simply blocking your tremelo bridge with a 1/2" wide scrap of wood. You'll find tons of pics on google to show you how. Good luck with your search!

Last edited by jpmist; 02-18-2023 at 11:12 AM.
Old 02-18-2023, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
Is the PRS SE Silver Sky a possibility?.
YES!

I have been playing Fender strats for over 40 years, of many incarnations + “boutique” builders - D’Pergo and the ilk.

A PRS core Silver Sky killed my electric GAS stone dead.
And the SE is almost as good for far less cash.
I know - I have both.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 02-18-2023, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Opinions wanted.

I'm taking an online course for which I need a Stratocaster that I can string heavy (11s) and tune down a 1/2 step to get SRV tones from the neck pickup. I'd prefer jumbo or medium jumbo frets and a rosewood fretboard, and I don't care at all about tremolo bars. I just want the tone I'm looking for and for the thing to stay in tune.

The PRS Silver Sky SE is frankly better than the Fender Player Strats that I've checked out. The Mexi-Fenders are perfectly serviceable instruments and a step above Squiers, but I find the SE to have better fit/finish and it sounds like a Strat.

“Sometimes science is more art than science…” - Rick Sanchez
Old 02-18-2023, 03:32 PM

Fenders entry into the American lineup are the American Specials(pre 2016) currently called American Performer Stratocasters.

The defining design factor is the CBS era headstocks used on these guitars. That means they use the bigger 70’s era design. Most times they will have tex-mex style single coils. A little grittier than crystaline vintage strat single coils. They may work well for your project.
You can find a ton of these on reverb from $750 on up.

frank d.
Old 02-18-2023, 04:28 PM

Quote:
...I need a Stratocaster that I can string heavy (11s) and tune down a 1/2 step to get SRV tones from the neck pickup. I'd prefer jumbo or medium-jumbo frets and a rosewood fretboard, and I don't care at all about tremolo bars. I just want the tone I'm looking for and for the thing to stay in tune.

...Where's the 'value' point in this lineup? Are Mexican Strats any good? Am I better off buying American? Are there acceptable substitutes?
In order:
  • If you're tuning down a half-step and you want tone think 12's (SRV used 13's), add the additional two springs to the trem (as they were shipped in Leo's day), and deck the bridge so that it sits flush with the top - same mods I've done on my MIJ '86 Fender/Squier Strat, and IME it'll give you better tone as well as more stable tuning;
  • IME you can get a really nice Squier CV for not a lotta bucks - if you're willing to cherry-pick through a bunch of merely-OK guitars to find "the one" - but in terms of value-per-dollar the Mexi-Strats are pretty much the way to go, offering much of the refinement/features of the USA models at a wallet-friendly price;
  • If you have the bucks and a modicum of electronics/woodworking knowledge and a larger neck/frets are important to you, there's always the option of building yourself a "partscaster" using any of a number of available components - you get exactly what you want/need, and have the pleasure of building it yourself and making it truly "yours"...
Old 02-18-2023, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
If you have the bucks and a modicum of electronics/woodworking knowledge and a larger neck/frets are important to you, there's always the option of building yourself a "partscaster" using any of a number of available components - you get exactly what you want/need, and have the pleasure of building it yourself and making it truly "yours"...
The one word of warning for that optiion. Not sure I've met many people who have built exactly ONE Partscaster. If you're able to get that first one up and running doing a second or a third or a tenth seems like a piece of cake. Or so I'm told, I swore off soldering irons a long time ago myself.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 02-18-2023, 08:26 PM

May I suggest you also look at a G&L Tribute? The name refers to George Fullerton and Leo Fender. Yes, that Fender! I have four Fender Strats and one G&L Tribute Legacy (their Strat) and it's every bit as good as FMIC's model at a much nicer price! Oh, and they have a 12" radius neck, which is closer to an acoustic radius than Fender's.
Old 02-18-2023, 09:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hutto View Post
The one word of warning for that optiion. Not sure I've met many people who have built exactly ONE Partscaster. If you're able to get that first one up and running doing a second or a third or a tenth seems like a piece of cake. Or so I'm told, I swore off soldering irons a long time ago myself.
It’s not rocket science but a lack of experience can be an issue with assembly. I currently have 3 Partscasters and one in the works). On My first one mistakes were made. It still plays and sounds great but there are things I would have done differently had I known ……
the next one is flawless

I would also see if you can find an older made in china Classic vibe 60s Strat - Pre 2017. The workmanship and materials (alder body, tonerider style pick ups) on these guitars are top notch. Though not as thick as a traditional SRV Strat neck the MiC necks are well made.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 02-18-2023, 09:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
I think the Mexican made Fender Strats are great!
I agree, but I'm not an electric guitar aficionado...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 02-18-2023, 10:19 PM

For a few years I had my son's MIM standard strat, which he has since reclaimed. These are fine instruments that play and sound great. I used it with flat wound 12's - Rotosound Toptapes. If you go with heavier strings on a strat install all 5 springs (they come with three but have 5 hooks) Also get a cheap heavy steel block to replace the pot metal one if that is what it has. Watch a few YouTube videos and learn to float the bridge in both directions. If done right you won't have problems unless you really yank on the trem arm. I hardly ever used the trem but the signature sound of the floating bridge is the heart of the Stratocaster IMHO

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars