The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-15-2024, 03:59 AM

Default Strings for classical Cort CEC7 "crossover"

Hi everyones,

I recently purchased an used classical Cort CEC7 "crossover" (nut 45mm) with a solid cedar top and very old strings. I need to replace those dead strings. This is a slimbody (84mm depth) and it really lacks volume and projection on the basses. Trebles are fine.

Cort sell this guitar with Savarez Cristal Corum 500CJ high-tension. I could go with these but the reviews on the D'Addario ProArte Carbon EJ46FF and Savarez alliance HT make me believe I could get a better result.

What would be your recommandations to improve its sound (VOLUME) as well as the presence of the basses. This guitar has a trust rod and I haven't make my mind about normal or hard tension.

Tks!

https://www.cortguitars.com/product/item.php?it_id=124

Last edited by Pat115; 03-15-2024 at 04:11 AM. Reason: wrong link and missing info
Old 03-15-2024, 08:20 AM
Charter Member

For my "crossover" Taylor I use these:

https://www.stringsbymail.com/thomas...6-43-5408.html
Old 03-15-2024, 08:22 AM

You'll find that the thin bodied crossover isn't going to provide the volume that you will experience from a standard classical guitar. The choice between normal or hard tension is really more a matter of how the strings feel under the hand, as the actual amount of string tension is minimal between the string types.

I did some experimenting with string types when I first started playing crossover and settled on the cheaper D'Addario EJ46 set.

The Saverez set that ships with many crossovers is more for providing a more familiar feel to the new nylon player and not so much about tonality. The tonal response is much more a part of how the guitar is built rather than how much difference the string tension makes.

Experimenting with string choice is cheap, so it's fun to sort this out for yourself. I like the lower priced strings because the wraps on the basses wear out fast enough that I can change more often and not feel bad.

Classical players often change the basses about twice as often as the trebles, and that's one of the reasons why the basses and trebles can be purchased separately. Some players do prefer selecting from different sets based on sound, too.

I opt to go with a standard full set and just change them all.
Old 03-15-2024, 08:41 AM
Get off my lawn kid

On my Cordoba crossover I have a set of Savarez Cantiga New Cristal Alliance NT strings. The 3rd string is carbon.

I also have a set of the Savarez 510AR Alliance /Cantiga NT on the way that has all carbon trebles.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

Last edited by TBman; 03-15-2024 at 08:46 AM.
Old 03-15-2024, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
You'll find that the thin bodied crossover isn't going to provide the volume that you will experience from a standard classical guitar. The choice between normal or hard tension is really more a matter of how the strings feel under the hand, as the actual amount of string tension is minimal between the string types.

I did some experimenting with string types when I first started playing crossover and settled on the cheaper D'Addario EJ46 set.

The Saverez set that ships with many crossovers is more for providing a more familiar feel to the new nylon player and not so much about tonality. The tonal response is much more a part of how the guitar is built rather than how much difference the string tension makes.

Experimenting with string choice is cheap, so it's fun to sort this out for yourself. I like the lower priced strings because the wraps on the basses wear out fast enough that I can change more often and not feel bad.

Classical players often change the basses about twice as often as the trebles, and that's one of the reasons why the basses and trebles can be purchased separately. Some players do prefer selecting from different sets based on sound, too.

I opt to go with a standard full set and just change them all.
That is an explanation I really like, very instructive! Thanks you Rudy4

Any specific strings, to enhance my slimbody guitar basses ?

Last edited by Pat115; 03-16-2024 at 05:00 AM. Reason: I added another question

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical