The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-06-2023, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

Default Eastman AR371 vs Ibanez AFJ95

Ok ok, so these aren't necessarily in the same price bracket. The Ibanez are around 450 used and the Eastmans as low as $800. But I'm seriously considering both. I know the Eastman might be a step above in build quality, but from I know Ibanez Artcores are gig worthy decent guitars. Anyone want to talk me into buying one or the other?
Old 03-06-2023, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

Default Eastman AR371 vs Ibanez AFJ95

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollypolly View Post
Ok ok, so these aren't necessarily in the same price bracket. The Ibanez are around 450 used and the Eastmans as low as $800. But I'm seriously considering both. I know the Eastman might be a step above in build quality, but from I know Ibanez Artcores are gig worthy decent guitars. Anyone want to talk me into buying one or the other?
I have an Eastman AR372CE, and an Ibanez AF95FM - close enough?

The Ibanez is a remarkable instrument for its price range (around $700, new). Mine has Super 58 pickups on it, and it sounds beautiful. It’s a very well-made instrument, as you’d expect from Ibanez.

The Eastman, for me, is just a cut above in every respect. The Kent Armstrong pickups are terrific - punchy and full-bodied. The neck is 1.75" at the nut, as opposed to 1.72" for the Ibanez - that small difference makes a huge difference in playability for me. While the body length and width are very similar to the Ibanez, the Eastman is significantly deeper (see picture below) which gives it a better acoustic 'voice', but frankly, neither of them are particularly loud played unplugged.

Which to buy? Well, I've hardly touched the Ibanez since I got the Eastman

IMG_2814.jpg
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo

Last edited by David Eastwood; 03-06-2023 at 05:26 PM.
Old 03-06-2023, 05:21 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the insight David. I had a feeling that’s the case. The Eastman looks like a really good Gibson copy while the Ibanez looks more like a budget instrument. I actually already bought an AG75 that I have 45 days to return. The benefit of the Ibanez is they are abundant at GC so I was able to try it and I liked it. But I know the Eastman will be a better instrument. At the same time I like the fact that I can sling the Ibanez around without worrying about it getting scratched.
Old 03-06-2023, 05:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks for the insight David. I had a feeling that’s the case. The Eastman looks like a really good Gibson copy while the Ibanez looks more like a budget instrument. I actually already bought an AG75 that I have 45 days to return. The benefit of the Ibanez is they are abundant at GC so I was able to try it and I liked it. But I know the Eastman will be a better instrument. At the same time I like the fact that I can sling the Ibanez around without worrying about it getting scratched.
Bear in mind, also, that the AG75 is a considerably smaller guitar than the AR371, not just in the depth department.

I found the girth of the AR372 a little disconcerting when I first pulled it out of the case and played it. I bought sight unseen, as I couldn’t find one in stock at any dealer within reasonable reach. Having lived with it for a while, however, I find it really comfortable to play. The Ibanez feels a bit skinny in comparison.
Cordoba Stage

Old 03-06-2023, 08:25 PM
Charter Member

Yes that’s one of the reasons I’m seeking opinions. The AG75 is pretty small. Plays and feels fine, sounds good plugged in. Nothing spectacular but perfectly fine for jazz. I’m assuming the Eastman might could be a bit more inspiring to play.
Old 03-06-2023, 08:36 PM

I'm probably one of like 3 people on the planet who played a 371/2 and wasn't impressed. Didn't sound or feel like a real 175 and wasn't close in quality to Eastman's other archtops. Maybe I played a dog.

Ibanez makes good guitars. The 2 you mentioned aren't what I'd call exact competitors, but I'd pick the Ibanez.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 03-07-2023, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

Thanks Jeff. I think I've decided to return the AG85 and go with the AFJ-95 in sunburst. Used I can get one for about $450 and they look pretty close to the Eastman at least in aesthetics. I like the laminated neck too.

I also really like the looks of the AFV "vintage" versions of the Artcores. Not sure they're any better than the standard models but they look sweet.

BTW - the AG85 has been a very pleasing guitar to play. I love the neck carve and feel and the tone plugged is nice once I adjusted the pickups. The main reason I'm going to swap it is the looks - the sunburst and finish is a bit cheesy. I'm hoping the neck carve on a higher end model will be similar.

Last edited by rollypolly; 03-07-2023 at 09:35 AM.
Old 03-07-2023, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
I'm probably one of like 3 people on the planet who played a 371/2 and wasn't impressed. Didn't sound or feel like a real 175 and wasn't close in quality to Eastman's other archtops. Maybe I played a dog.
That’s a shame.

Perhaps it’s a good thing I’ve never played a 175 - or one of Eastman’s other archtops, for that matter

This is my second step into the archtop world (the first being my Ibanez), so I’m rather new to it all. Regardless, I’m loving my 372 - maybe I’ll find myself wanting more as I get more proficient.
Cordoba Stage

Old 03-07-2023, 04:08 PM
Charter Member

I’m in the same boat, David. I’m still starting out in jazz so can’t justify a huge investment. I’m just amazed at how solid the artcores are. Even this AG85 has been growing on me. I started with the AS73 which I love, now the AG which I might swap for the AJF. Getting used to the AG neck makes me want to keep it though.

What says a lot about these artcores is I sold my Les Paul after getting the AS73. The Ibanez is lighter, more comfortable, holds better tune and plays easier.
Old 03-11-2023, 02:09 PM
Charter Member

No one is looking at this but I just wanted to end by saying I ended up getting a Ibanez AK86 in dark violin burst. I must say it’s a great looking guitar of very high quality. Has that solid Artcore feel and the best looks I’ve seen on these. Finish is thick, probably not as pretty as the Eastman , but it’s very nice otherwise. I even like to play it acoustically. It reminds me that guitars are tools. It doesn’t matter if it’s $400 or $4k, especially for these laminate archtops.
Old 03-11-2023, 04:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
No one is looking at this but I just wanted to end by saying I ended up getting a Ibanez AK86 in dark violin burst. I must say it’s a great looking guitar of very high quality. Has that solid Artcore feel and the best looks I’ve seen on these. Finish is thick, probably not as pretty as the Eastman , but it’s very nice otherwise. I even like to play it acoustically. It reminds me that guitars are tools. It doesn’t matter if it’s $400 or $4k, especially for these laminate archtops.
I’m still here! I had to look up the AK86 - I see it’s basically an ES175 clone. Very tasty - hope you enjoy it as much as I’m enjoying my Eastman.

Incidentally, I still have my AF95FM - I can’t quite bring myself to part with it. I really don’t need two archtops, but, as always, ‘need’ has very little to do with it
Cordoba Stage

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars