The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-16-2017, 10:15 PM

Default Going to NAMM for the first time

I haven't been here in a while. I'm assuming nobody remembers who I am, haha. But I'm going to be at NAMM this weekend. I have a guitar-related podcast, which was my excuse to go.

What should I check out in the CF world? I haven't followed CF guitars very closely for the last couple years. Are there any new players?

Who else will be there?
Rhoney Oceana
Warmoth Jazzcaster
Old 01-16-2017, 10:50 PM

maybe you can do you tube vids
Old 01-16-2017, 10:59 PM

All of the usual suspects: Blackbird, Rainsong, Emerald, Composite Acoustics / Peavey, Journey, Klos (if they are there), McPherson. Don't know if Brunner still makes a CF version of their travel guitar. Plus anything else you happen to see. Any others to add, Evan?

Part of the NAMM fun is discovering previously unknown treasures. Bring comfortable walking shoes and your ear plugs, plus good closed-cup headphones.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:59 PM
Anticipation Junkie

I'm sure a number of CF builders are there, but I know Emerald is.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
All of the usual suspects: Blackbird, Rainsong, Emerald, Composite Acoustics / Peavey, Journey, Klos (if they are there), McPherson. Don't know if Brunner still makes a CF version of their travel guitar. Plus anything else you happen to see. Any others to add, Evan?

Part of the NAMM fun is discovering previously unknown treasures. Bring comfortable walking shoes and your ear plugs, plus good closed-cup headphones.
I believe Brunner has previously written they would focus only on wood now. That could change, of course, but I suspect owners of CF Brunners have rare, maybe collectable guitars. I don't think many were made.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:14 AM
Guest 928

CB;

I remember you well and glad to see you still musically inclined. Earl pretty much sums up the membership of the CF empire. The Journey and the Klos are both relatively new and broaden the CF field. The big four have each come up with some major changes in the past few years.

Blackbird has extended its model line with a new guitar and uke made from a new composite material--the initial reviews have been highly positive. CA sold to Peavey which has not come up with any new instruments but has put a lot of effort in refining the CA models to a higher level of quality. Emerald has put on an incredible spurt of creativity resulting in a variety of superb instruments and a new marketing strategy. Rainsong has been experimenting with materials and produced a series of new guitars with marvelous tonal and projection qualities.

Oddly enough, none of the CF makers have come up with an electric guitar. I've been pushing for something like the Danelectro U2.

Glad to see you back and hope you enjoy NAMM--looking forward to your reportage.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:15 AM

Ovation Adamas is back and they have built some spectacular anniversary and custom models last year. Will be interesting to see what they have coming in terms of CF.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChunkyB View Post
I haven't been here in a while. I'm assuming nobody remembers who I am, haha. But I'm going to be at NAMM this weekend. I have a guitar-related podcast, which was my excuse to go.

What should I check out in the CF world? I haven't followed CF guitars very closely for the last couple years. Are there any new players?

Who else will be there?
Helene and I attend every year, in fact even though the show is only 45 minutes from us, as usual we will be staying at the Marriott so we can meet with industry friends after hours as well.

If this is your first time, I would suggest downloading the NAMM app so you can better navigate the place. As for CF, Rainsong, Blackbird, Journey, and McPherson will be downstairs, and Composite Acoustics will be upstairs in the Peavey booth.

Wear comfortable shoes, bring some ear plugs, and enjoy!

Last edited by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales; 01-17-2017 at 04:06 PM.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:48 PM
Guest 928

I don't think all the serious players will have booths--Emerald may not have a booth this year. However, Alistair will be there representing Emerald as a foreign ambassador of CF good will.
Old 01-17-2017, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChunkyB View Post
I haven't been here in a while. I'm assuming nobody remembers who I am, haha.
Did we actually meet at the CF fest a while back at Michael's store?
I went to the 2015 NAMM and it was fantastic. Noisy!! Make sure you walk through the drums section, just for the experience.
Afterwards I was glad I went but didn't think I needed to do it again, but I have to say I wish I could go again, now. Once every two years would be good! Unfortunately I am now over 7000 miles away instead of 26 miles so it's a bit difficult...
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 01-18-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
I don't think all the serious players will have booths...
NAMM's purpose is to connect manufacturers and wholesalers with retailers. If you are a manufacturer looking to connect with retailers, a booth is a no brainer. If not, you can still walk around and maybe run in to musicians who might want to represent your brand, someone from the press willing to do a write up, and certainly stop by the booths of your competition and see what you are up against.

Speaking of which, spoke to Dave at Rainsong yesterday and you guys will definitely want to keep an eye on our Facebook Page NAMM album for updates. I'll say no more.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:03 PM
Guest 928

One of my favorite postings regarding NAMM came from Kramster. And of those postings, my favorites were seeing the makers together. Ashvin, Joe, Alistair, all together. They are competitors, but they are like minded and pioneers. There is a neat link between the makers and between the players of CF guitars. I suspect that CF makers and players are running the point of luthery development. And I like it! Looking forward to this year's developments.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:25 PM

Default Drums, bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdq View Post
Did we actually meet at the CF fest a while back at Michael's store?
I went to the 2015 NAMM and it was fantastic. Noisy!! Make sure you walk through the drums section, just for the experience.
Afterwards I was glad I went but didn't think I needed to do it again, but I have to say I wish I could go again, now. Once every two years would be good! Unfortunately I am now over 7000 miles away instead of 26 miles so it's a bit difficult...
I went to 2015 NAMM also, I remember the drums, but the basses were what really got to me. For two weeks after I never touched my bass after hearing three days of "NAMM Show Chops" of people slapping away at bass guitars. I kept coming back to Ned Steinberger's booth, fascinated by the electric guitar based off of the radius basses - an electric guitar with a bridge piece like an acoustic. It had resonance and sustain I've never seen in an electric. Here's a pic:

Old 01-19-2017, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
One of my favorite postings regarding NAMM came from Kramster. And of those postings, my favorites were seeing the makers together. Ashvin, Joe, Alistair, all together. They are competitors, but they are like minded and pioneers. There is a neat link between the makers and between the players of CF guitars. I suspect that CF makers and players are running the point of luthery development. And I like it! Looking forward to this year's developments.
Evan... I agree... also Kramster always had the knack of having beautiful people around him as well. He is quite the character and miss him on the boards...
Old 01-19-2017, 08:05 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Yeah, I think of Mark from time to time. His NAMM threads and pics were great. I guess life is just busy for him. Hope all is ok.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber