The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 10-23-2009, 07:05 AM

Default Recording guitar that complements hammered dulcimer, mountain dulcimer, and psaltery

Hello everyone,

Since my first hammered dulcimer CD did so well, I'm looking at doing a second (either hymns and/or Christmas Music). I use my dulcimers/psaltery as the lead instrument (it carries the melody) and the guitar is used to fill out the mix. I have done some leads on guitars, but not too many. I mainly strum my acoustic while I play. (you can listen to some samples on www.myspace.com/MartinMooreMusic - I'm also on youtube, iTunes, CDBaby, etc.)

I only have 1 guitar - a Takamine EF341SC. I absolutely LOVE this guitar. In a live setting, this guitar is a dream! It has a cedar top and laminated maple back and sides. While this may seem like a weird combination, it's a true joy to have and I am very thankful for my wife for getting it for me 5 years ago. I also enjoy the electronics and the ability to dial in no matter where you are is extremely convenient. It's the most consistant-sounding guitar I've ever played. In other words, no matter what the PA setup is, I know that no matter where I am, I'm going to get a great sound.

Ok, with all of that aside, I do have one critique of the guitar. I've recorded two projects with this acoustic and I feel I've had to work to get a decent recording sound out of it (Using various condensor mics including an AT4040, a large diaphram Rhode, and a $1000 Mojave). I'm about 80% happy with my recorded guitar sound, but within the next few years (as recording and playing will probably pick up), I'm going to need a recording guitar. For now, I'm looking at getting a Mackie 1202 (used hopefully. Anyone wanting to get rid of theirs?) to use in pre-production so I can dial-in a good sound before it hits tape. This may solve any issues right now, and I may not need another guitar; however, I'm still thinking about the possibilty of getting one in the future.

So, here are my needs...my dulcimers' frequencies are relatively high, I don't want anything that's going to wash out the melody (I hope that this makes sense); however, I would like some top-end presence on the guitar. I would like a clear, strong bass, but nothing too over-riding. I would like a guitar that compliments my dulcimers, not something that works against them.

Does anyone have any experience playing with dulcimer players, in particular, hammered dulcimer players? What guitar(s) was/were used? How did it sound? What would you suggest?

Budget: Less than $2k. No electronics necessary.

Thanks.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:23 AM

I've played with a lot of Canoun/Santouri players in Greece, for strumming parts I'd recommend a "lighter"/sweeter sounding guitar rather than a powerhouse!, Maybe a Brook, Webber etc but so much is down to the recording techniques. Fresh strings, good mic placement and a well-balanced mix will see you through! Actually, there's another thread going on at the moment about Nashville tuning, I think you might get some mileage out of that too.
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Guitars by Jason Kostal, Strings by Elixir, Gefell Mics and a nail buffer.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:56 AM

Well, this is not what you're looking for, (and definitely over the $2 grand budget) but give a listen to Paul Oorts playing his harp guitar with wife Karen Ashbrook on Dulcimer as well as flute.
Youtube link
The upside here is that you can pluck the bass strings or let them ring in sympathy. You would definitely not be lacking in the bottom end.

Ruby: Andrew White custom ordered model C

Coral: Andrew White custom ordered model E

Fast Eddie: Andrew White custom ordered model F

Frieda: Duane Noble custom built Harp Guitar
Old 10-23-2009, 10:02 AM

Hummmm, I think Walnut and Redwood, maybe auditorium sized. I often think of Walnut and Redwood thought.

I've played a few OM's with Redwood tops that I thought were great all around guitars.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:38 PM

Thanks everyone!
Old 10-24-2009, 08:46 PM

Timely Topic!!

I played at an event this morning and the fellow I was performing with also accompanied a dulcimer and psaltry group before we played our set.

For our set he played his d-28. with the dulcimer and psaltry he used a OOO-15. very sweet sounding and blended very well.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:09 PM

A small body box like Mike Seege's 12-fret Martin 0-18 works very nicely in this setting...I would also look at one the small body Martin 15 series all hog boxes...warm, articulate, plenty of bass presence, but not overpowering by any means.

Old 10-24-2009, 10:07 PM

All good suggestions. I would suggest either a rosewood OM, like the Larrivée OM-03R, or a mahogany dreadnought like a Martin D-18 or one of my alltime favorite accompanying guitars, the Gibson J-45.

There's a low cost version of the J-45 that's no longer in production called the Gibson WM-45: same woods, same factory of origin, just a stripped-down version. Those come in well under your budget on the used guitar market.

I also play mountain dulcimer, and just suggest that the main element that is the crucial thing here is the actual playing style used rather than the guitar itself. I mentioned rosewood OM's because they record like a dream and are very versatile overall. Same thing with a round-shouldered mahogany dread like the J-45.

Have fun with this!

whm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments