The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 08-21-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnZ View Post
The 5th's tuning of a mandolin puts it in a huge family of stringed instruments with logical chords and scales, a big advantage over a uke.
+ 1,000,000

Old 08-21-2009, 02:55 PM
AGF Sponsor

I have made perhaps 7, but it was 30 to 35 years ago. I have two at the moment, both F5 style. I have had the Eastman 815 for several years, and recently acquired a Bob Schneider (Portland, OR) which I traded a string bass for. It seems much better. I play the fiddle too, and it seems easy to use the fiddles left hand and the guitars right hand and play the Mandolin.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:38 PM

I've been teaching myself for the past year. I really enjoy it once you get used to the skinny little neck and tiny fretboard. My favourite mandolin at the moment is a Giacomel j-5 as the neck neck is slightly friendlier from a guitarist's point of view. I also really like Givens, Kimble and Heiden mandolins.
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Guitars by Jason Kostal, Strings by Elixir, Gefell Mics and a nail buffer.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:13 PM

There are a few reasons why a mandolin would not be a great choice for a 7 year old in a house with a guitar player.

1. Teacher don't live there.
2. Ever tune a mandolin? There are 8 strings, and I know mandolin players that don't know how to tune the dang things, or at least they don't sound like they do...
3. String tension, tiny fingers
4. 1000?! You're joking, right?
5. A small kid will need a strap, really.

Seriously, a uke for kids. Reasons?

1. built in uke teacher. Just capo your guitar at the 5th fret, and don't use the 'e' and 'a' strings, now you have a real big ukulele.
2. String tension is very easy on tiny fingers
3. 1 and 2 finger chords will have him making music in a day, and to a 7 year old, that's huge! I'm still 7, at least that's what I'm told I act like, so take it from someone experienced.
4. 350-400 will get you a uke of comparable quality to a 1K mandolin. See Kiwaya KTS-4. Or an old Martin style 0, or a nice older Favilla.
5. Music knowledge, when #3 is in action, it becomes easier to obtain, and #3 on a mandolin... well I suppose Thiele and Skaggs, maybe, just maybe that's your kid too, and you are willing to take a 1000 dollar bet. Could pay off, but check the odds.
6. No strap needed.
7. You'll get hooked, don't know if that's for sure, but it is a very real possibility.

You can play anything on a uke, from country to blues to odd alternate tunings. Slide is a bit dicey, but hey, at 7, I don't think he'll be doing that very quickly.

I do play mandolin also, and second the Kentucky suggestion if that's the way you're gonna go, but check out the KM-505, under 5 bills and sweet. For a grand, look for an old Gibson A, really sweet. You pay extra for the fancy strap hanger on the F style. I have one of those, too, but play my Gibson the most.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:16 PM

Wow, thanks for all the quick and insightful replies!

I forgot to mention when I was writing that I was thinking of taking one course of strings off at the beginning to make it easier for him, then once he starts getting the hang of it, add the second course. It's also something I would like to fool around on after he goes to bed.

I know from personal experience that having a good instrument that is well set up is much more enjoyable to learn on and play. That is the main reason I never stayed with guitar when I was younger. I had a crappy old Washburn guitar when I was a teenager with what seemed like 1 inch action and it was so hard to play, so I learned the basic chords and that was about it.

My reasoning for getting a decent mandolin from the get go was that I don't want to have to sell it later and get another one. I know that different mandolins will have different tones and playability, but I'm living in a rural area and don't have a chance to play a lot of different instruments, and after going through GAS, I don't want to go through the rounds of MAS!!! Yeah, I know ....

My kids have been around nice instruments all there lives (ages 3 and almost 7), and I keep my Eichelbaum and Martin out in the living room on stands all the time. They know that instruments are to be treated with respect and I haven't had any accidents ... yet. I think my son would really appreciate it, but sticking to it is another question ... so if Daddy gets stuck with it, then I might as well get something that I feel comfortable with as well.

The Mandolin Cafe is a great source of information (like this place is for acoustic guitars), but it can be a bit overwhelming at first. I've been there A LOT over the past week and the more you read, the more you get confused.

So feel free to add to my confusion!

Thanks again and I look forward to reading your replies. Another question I have is what books/sources have you found to be good for a beginner mandolin player?

John

Not all those who wander are lost ...

Formerly known as "John_in_Japan"

1992 Larrivee L-05
2008 Kimble A-0 Mandolin
2014 Nyberg Octave Mandolin
Old 08-21-2009, 04:47 PM

For what its worth I picked up mandolining to accompany my guitar and banjo playing friends. To me it sounds great in the mix. As a stand alone instrument the guitar is more versatile. Our high school has beginning and intermediate guitar classes where kids are playing a lot and getting really good. Most kids really want to fit in with their friends and be recognized for their achievements before their peers. Guitar will do that better than mandolin. I think they have a greater likelihood of sticking with the guitar. Having said that, why not buy both a guitar and a mandolin for within your budget. That way you can learn along with them.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:40 PM
Liberty Trio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
There are a few reasons why a mandolin would not be a great choice for a 7 year old in a house with a guitar player.

2. Ever tune a mandolin? There are 8 strings, and I know mandolin players that don't know how to tune the dang things, or at least they don't sound like they do...
8 strings but 4 notes. Add them up, that's 2 fewer than a guitar, but the same as a fiddle or a uke. And you can play fiddle tunes on a mando, using fiddle music, and nan easy transition to the fiddle itself!

Quote:
3. String tension, tiny fingers
Not that bad if it is set up properly. No worse than a guitar with medium strings.

Quote:
4. 1000?! You're joking, right?
Why? There are a lot of really good mandos under a Grand.

Quote:
5. A small kid will need a strap, really.
Not necessarily. And why is that a problem anyway?

Quote:
4. 350-400 will get you a uke of comparable quality to a 1K mandolin.
Really? I have seen some darned expensive ukes.

'87 Guild GF-30 Bld (blonde)
'89 Seagull S-Black Velvet
'06 R. Taylor Series 1 (koa)
All 3 Taylor Liberty Tree Guitars
2 mandolins, 2 dulcimers, 1 mandola, 2 bodhrans

"It may not be smart or correct, but it's one of the things that make us what we are."
--Red Green, "The New Red Green Show"
Old 08-21-2009, 06:18 PM

May I suggest a baritone ukulele? The 4 strings tune just like the first 4 strings of a guitar. Thus, learning the chords on the uke will then be an easy transition to a guitar later on. Plus, the nylon strings will be easy to fret. The Kala KA-SB is a great instrument.
Alvarez RD20S12
Fender Telecaster
Ibanez AG-75
Martin 000X1AE
Cort Earth 70DE
Old 08-21-2009, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawn Jockey View Post
+ 1,000,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulb View Post
8 strings but 4 notes. Add them up, that's 2 fewer than a guitar, but the same as a fiddle or a uke. And you can play fiddle tunes on a mando, using fiddle music, and nan easy transition to the fiddle itself!

Not that bad if it is set up properly. No worse than a guitar with medium strings.

Why? There are a lot of really good mandos under a Grand.

Not necessarily. And why is that a problem anyway?

Really? I have seen some darned expensive ukes.
I wasn't aware that this was a competition!

However, I'll bite.

Tuning a mandolin, 7 YEAR OLD KID. That should be 'nuff said, but I'll elaborate.. tuning 4 courses of strings is hard enough for experienced adults, I know, I've heard them, if you haven't, you haven't been playing out long..
Strings and tension... 7 YEAR OLD KID. That should be 'nuff said also, but I s'pose I can elaborate... why would you put a small kid thru that when there are other easier options. Ride a bike before you attempt that Ferrari. Even a nicely set up mandolin will be a chore for a 7 YEAR OLD KID.

1000 buckaroos. Not for myself it's a problem, but why on god's green earth would I spend that on a 7 YEAR OLD KID that may not.. umm.. get the drift of what I'm doing, or.. well, you know kids, one day this another that. Get it?

You've seen some darned expensive ukes. Me too, I own a few of them, what's the point on that...point? But hey, my point was that you could buy a fine uke for 400 dollars, why shell out that 1000$ on a beautiful instrument that may, may mind you, end up sitting in the case?

A uke is a small investment in the kid's future musical endeavors. Once uke, next guitar, next mandolin, next the director of the Boston Pops.

I'm sorry for the caps on 7 year old kid, but I think you may have forgot, or you're one of those tough teachers, Idunno, you decide.. and another one-
Old 08-21-2009, 07:58 PM

To me it sounds like you are wanting to get you a mando instead of your son. Maybe I'm getting off on the wrong foot but to me it sounds like you don't want to go with the easier instrument, ie. ukelele, and instea want to go with an instrument you like. I would go with the uke because they are fun little instruments to play. Your son can build up his callouses on the nylon strings and have a much easier time playing then on most other stringed instruments. Plus in high school and college it's a different instrument that's fun for get together's with friends. It's also an easier transition to guitar once the uke starts getting a little too easy.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:18 PM

It's interesting how this thread has somehow turned into a competition between mandolins and ukes.

I don't think there needs to be any "ukes REWL, mandos DROOL!" or "Ukes are for guys who want to wear grass SKIRTS!!" defamation going on.

Okay, so I'm exaggerating, but not by much.

I do play some uke, though it's way down the list of instruments I personally favor, probably because I'm not much for nylon strings. But mandolin has the advantage of having a fifth interval tuning, which makes finding melodies a real breeze in comparison to the fourth interval (with one third interval) tunings of guitar and mandolin.

A mandolin strung with 4 single strings rather than 4 double courses should work just fine for the intended purpose.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 08-21-2009, 08:21 PM

PS - I truly do not believe that uke is the "easier" instrument. With mandolin every scale, chord form and riff can be transferred over to another string and another key. With ukes the patterns are different on different strings.

whm
Old 08-21-2009, 09:40 PM

I'm not too interested in the ukes vs mandolins debate, but I don't mind sitting back and watching ;-)

Jeff D ~ You are fairly warm. Yes, I'd like to fool around on it as well, but it would be my son's instrument - his responsibility. Of course I will show and help him tune it, change strings, etc, but it will be his responsibility. I've taught him some simple things on the guitar, and he has a small guitar already, but the neck is still too wide for him right now.

I also think that he is at the age where is ready for some responsibility, and can also handle it. He is fairly artistic already and loves to draw and sing, so I think that this could/would be another creative way of expressing himself, along with learning patience and perseverance. He doesn't have any items of real value other than his bicycle, and doesn't have any video games, ipods or whatever, so this would be a real treat for him. I'm pretty thrifty with my money, but I don't mind spending money on a quality instrument that will last and hopefully provide many many hours of enjoyment. I also have a Martin that I will give my youngest son some day as it will be a birth year guitar for him (2005). Will they appreciate it as much as I hope they will? Probably not now, but 20 years from now I hope they look back and smile at the opportunities that their parents gave them at an early age.

It could be a lot worse, I could be dropping a lot more coin on a piano

John

Not all those who wander are lost ...

Formerly known as "John_in_Japan"

1992 Larrivee L-05
2008 Kimble A-0 Mandolin
2014 Nyberg Octave Mandolin
Old 08-22-2009, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
I wasn't aware that this was a competition!
It's not a competition Neal.

I was merely agreeing wholeheartedly with JohnZ (and others after him) concerning the relative ease of transferring chords due to the "logical" tuning of the mandolin (or mandolin family of instruments).
Old 08-22-2009, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawn Jockey View Post
It's not a competition Neal.

I was merely agreeing wholeheartedly with JohnZ (and others after him) concerning the relative ease of transferring chords due to the "logical" tuning of the mandolin (or mandolin family of instruments).
Not to mention bouzoukis, tenor banjos, and tenor guitars. In the early 1900's it was somewhat rare to find a fretted instrument not tuned in fifths.

Anyway, what I think it comes down to is the kid himself and how he perceives and wishes to express himself musically. If he's around live acoustic music and is drawn to melody, then a mandolin can be a great choice. Two prodigies I've had the pleasure of being around when they first picked up the mandolin (Chris Thile and currently a kid from Idyllwild Arts) met this criteria. That's not to say he'll have the kind of drive those kids exibit, but a musical and artistic atmosphere helps a lot.

As to a specific mandolin, I go with either an Ovation Celebrity or a Tacoma M-1. Compared to other mandolins the Ovation has a very small neck radius and is easy for small children to play...and can be set up to nearly play itself. Not much tone but bullet proof.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments