The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 03-28-2011, 08:13 PM

Default Godin 5th Ave. / Kingpin

Hello everyone. I'm looking for a bit of info on the Godin 5th Ave. and Kingpin. Obviously the 5th Ave is full acoustic and the Kingpin has the P-90. However, is the the 5th Ave. more "acoustic" over the Kingpin, or acoustically are they the same. Whenever I see an arch top with a pickup I always think jazz box, but it looks like the 5th Ave. is basically the same guitar minus the pup. I would like to hear your all experiences with these, and even just arch top with/without pickup in general. Thanks.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:26 PM

I have a kingpin, and I like it quite a bit, but it's very much an "electric guitar"--it's a pretty small box and it doesn't put out a ton of sound-- but certainly enough for quiet practice.

If you set the all acoustic model up with a little higher action and bronze strings, it might sound a little better acoustically...archtops have a flavor all their own--some folks don't get it...

They're both well made and a very good value.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 03-28-2011, 08:27 PM

I had the 5th ave kingpin with the neck pickup, and it was a very cool guitar plugged in, but it didnt have the acoustic tone I was looking for, which I dont think was the pickup as much as the all laminate construction. If you're looking for a traditional acoustic archtop, try the Loar 600 against the Godin. IMO, the Loar has way more of the archtop sound at a similar price.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:42 PM

Yeah, beans is on it...if that loar model is a poor man's L5, the kingpin is a poor man's ES-125...and the fifth ave acoustic is...I dunno...a harmony monterrey that's actually playable?

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 03-28-2011, 10:10 PM

Thanks guys. I'll look up The Loar as well...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops