The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-14-2010, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

Congrats! I love it. What a stunning guitar. If you get any sound clips, please share... i'd love to hear how it sounds.

Kindly,
Danny
Old 02-15-2010, 05:04 PM

That is a beauty! Very cool concept. How do accoustic archtop sounds? Never heard one - is it a jazzy sound or what?
-Takamine AN10
- My own build DeJonge Standard Steel String
- My own build Santos Hernandez cypress flamengo
- My own build Bubinga Tornavoz classical
- My own build Hammered Dulcimer
- My own build Travel Guitar
Old 02-16-2010, 12:02 AM

Hey Jimmy,

Thanks for checking out my website. It is sadly out of date, and I will be updating it soon, but the model is a Imperial SC (soft cutaway) with modern style headstock, it has a walnut burl headstock and walnut binding, but otherwise did not have any special options. Cost as shown is $6200. I see that you are a southpaw, and I am now making 1 in every 10 of my guitars for lefties. I have several left handed clients (and friends) and have been made aware of how bad the left handed guitar situation is these days. Even Gibson quit making left handed guitars recently. I do not charge extra to make a lefty. I am currently working on a LH guitar, a standard 16" cutaway, F-hole Lefty with European spruce top and mahogany back and sides.

Erich Solomon
www.solomonguitars.com
Old 02-17-2010, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomonguitars View Post
Hey Jimmy,

Thanks for checking out my website. It is sadly out of date, and I will be updating it soon, but the model is a Imperial SC (soft cutaway) with modern style headstock, it has a walnut burl headstock and walnut binding, but otherwise did not have any special options. Cost as shown is $6200. I see that you are a southpaw, and I am now making 1 in every 10 of my guitars for lefties. I have several left handed clients (and friends) and have been made aware of how bad the left handed guitar situation is these days. Even Gibson quit making left handed guitars recently. I do not charge extra to make a lefty. I am currently working on a LH guitar, a standard 16" cutaway, F-hole Lefty with European spruce top and mahogany back and sides.

Erich Solomon
www.solomonguitars.com
Thanks for the info Erich. And thanks on the front side from all the lefties for NOT charging extra for building a left handed guitar. Your guitars are lovely, I wish I could afford to buy all the archtops that I want!!!! Yours would be on the list.

Sorry to the OP for the partial hijack, but I thought you would enjoy this photo of my lefty 1997 Bill Comins "Classic".

Jimmy

Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor
Old 07-23-2010, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

wow wow wow! to the top for anyone who missed it-
Old 07-23-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Andrews View Post
I have to say, Erich is one of my very favorite luthiers! You have extremely fine taste! I had the pleasure of strumming a couple of his guitars at Healdsburg and to my senses, they are as elegant to the ear as they are to the eye. Kudos, my friend! I believe his work will leave a lasting legacy.
Aaron,

I recall playing one of your archtops when Larry Pattis and I visited your shop a few months back. It was a stunning guitar and I believe your work will also leave a lasting legacy.

John Sorell
Old 07-24-2010, 03:50 AM

Stunning guitar!!
Old 07-24-2010, 09:13 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

My Solomon was the easiest playing and one of the most wonderful toned guitars I ever owned. Congratulations! I can't say I am done with Solomon ownership.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:13 PM
Charter Member

are there any soundclips of this guitar available? acoustic and or electric..
Old 07-28-2010, 01:15 AM
Charter Member

Beautiful guitar! If anyone's interested, Fretboard Journal has a great interview with Erich uploaded to iTunes (type "fretboard journal" into the itunes store). It's about an hour long and completely free. Check it out!
Old 08-06-2010, 11:07 PM

I like the bridge that's a bridge concept!

I once owned a solid spruce topped Kay archtop,...that i got at a good price because one of the parallel braces was cracked.

I took the back off and repaired the crack,....and also thinned and sculpted both braces a bit thinner as i was only planning on using "lights" on it.

I refretted it also,....that baseball like thick neck!

,.....but the most interesting change i made was working the bridge thinner and lighter,.....and although not one piece like your Solomon has,.....i got rid of the metal adjusters and replaced them with a pair of solid maple "washers",.... of proper thickness to be at the string height i prefered.

Between the lighter bridge and the solid wooden washers i made,.....it had an unbelieveble sound! It was big bodied and the solid spruce top was well aged and played in. The harmonics,...even at the 5th fret,....just rang loud, clear,... and long. Probably the laminated sides contributed to the projection also....

Sadly,....when in my tougher days i needed funds for the kids weekend out with dad,......i sold it at a guitar show in Saratoga Springs, NY.... maybe 10 or 12 years ago. i got around $550.00 for it as i recall. (only paid $250.00 for it because of the brace problem)

.....but it was my 1st and only major overhaul of a guitar, and i put my heart into it. About the only things i didn't like were the very long scale,.....around 26' or a bit more,......and the thin width neck for fingerstyle work.

Anyway,....the bridge on your Solomon got me thinking i might at least do the maple washer thing again on my new Bill Gagnon 15" archtop i just recieved this week. If i get the time and energy might even make a solid one piece bridge for it!

.....seems to me a solid wood transfer of the sound vibrations to the top maximizes the transfer, and a light wooded bridge all the more, perhaps.

Those metal adjusters and post,...while handy,....possibly serve only to dilute and deaden the full potential of a nice archtop.

[QUOTE=cy2989;2122126]

2010 Gagnon Acoustic Only 15" Archtop,
with 3-D Quited Maple & Bearclaw Spruce

Classicals:
2004 Tom Humphrey Millenium
Sakazo Nakade Classical
1982 Masaru Kohno Professional, Brazilian B/S
Martin C-TSH Classical (Tom Humphrey Bridge & Shellac Top Finish!)
1988 Don Banzer 625mm Scale Classical
2008 Johnny Walker Grand Concert Cutaway & Pickup

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop