The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-17-2010, 10:32 PM

Default Blackwood 000 from Down Under

With apologies to those of you who enjoy build threads, here’s my latest guitar which I put the finishing touches to over the past few days. My ultimate ambition is to find more time to devote to my guitar-building pastime, at which point I may consider an attempt at a step-by-step photo essay. In the meantime though, I’ll beg your forgiveness and offer this “post-build” thread as a poor substitute. As a part-time amateur, progress is probably too slow and intermittent for a start-to-finish build thread to really be practical!

Soundboard: Sitka spruce
Back and Sides: Australian blackwood
Neck: Queensland maple
Bridge: ebony
Bindings: ebony
Tuners: Gotoh 510 mini
Frets: EVO gold
Finish: Grafted Coatings KTM-SV
Scale length: 24.9”

My primary focus has always been on acoustic guitars, but with distractions along the way in the form of some solid-body electrics and a couple of partially finished F5 mandolins, this is only my eleventh or twelfth acoustic guitar. I learn best through repetition as is commonly the case, and it’s only now, after many years, that I’m finally producing instruments I’m happy with - it’s certainly been a long apprenticeship. Having said that, there are many areas in which there’s room for improvement, and it’s a sobering fact that for most of us mere mortals, real proficiency develops only over a long period and after a good many more instruments than I’ve been able to complete to date. Realistically, I can’t envisage a time when I’ll see no further room for refinement and experimentation. In fact, should that time ever arrive, perhaps it would be time to hang up the thickness sander for good!

Although I’m pleased with the end result, there’s nothing terribly innovative here; the overall design and dimensions - both inside and out – are closely based on a Martin 000. Despite the fact that there are alternative construction methods and design ideas tempting me, I’ve always felt it wise to develop a solid grounding in fairly traditional techniques and designs with the aim of having a point of reference and some kind of base from which to launch into something more original and/or adventurous later on. When I finally complete the other two guitars waiting in the wings, perhaps I’ll finally have reached that point and can think seriously about a signature design as well as a departure from the tried and true in other respects too. I’m especially keen to think about a cantilevered neck design which, along with advantages in its own right, opens up possibilities in terms of lighter bracing in the upper bout. If I need motivation, perhaps I need look no further than Greg Gwaltney’s recent Cuban mahogany/Lutz build.

Thanks for looking, and a special thank you to all of the pros who share their creations here and are a constant source of knowledge and inspiration.
Old 07-18-2010, 05:21 AM

Pete, VERY nice guitar. Hope it sounds as good as it looks. Love the headstock, and I love Queensland Maple necks, like the one on my Maton. They just feel good to me.
Pat
Old 07-18-2010, 05:59 AM

That is a beautiful guitar indeed!

I have a rather rare Martin OM-45 Tazmanian Blackwood with a flamed Engelmann top that has made be a big Tazmanian Blackwood fan. A bit brighter wood but I think the Engerlmann, in your case Sitka, warm it up just right, don't know if I would like Adi over Taz..........

Would love to hear sound bytes of your guitar, and good luck with your building, very nice asthetics to your guitar!

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 07-18-2010, 08:10 AM

Gorgeous guitar Pete!
Old 07-18-2010, 10:55 PM

Very nice indeed! I'm a big lover of the Blackwood/Sitka combination - and you've done some very nice work, it appears to me!

09 Taylor 414ce LTD
Whole Slew of Telecasters
Old 07-19-2010, 06:39 AM

Pat, mesa and Mark, thanks for the positive comments. If there's an up side to my dismal rate of production, it's that stringing up a newly completed guitar is a truly momentous and hugely rewarding event!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
That is a beautiful guitar indeed!

I have a rather rare Martin OM-45 Tazmanian Blackwood with a flamed Engelmann top that has made be a big Tazmanian Blackwood fan. A bit brighter wood but I think the Engerlmann, in your case Sitka, warm it up just right, don't know if I would like Adi over Taz..........

Would love to hear sound bytes of your guitar, and good luck with your building, very nice asthetics to your guitar!
Thanks so much Rich. Just contemplating the different wood species gets the juices flowing; the brain immediately kicks into gear concocting the next few instruments. I have an EIR/Engelmann OM and an insanely figured Claro Walnut/Sitka 000 to complete over the next few months before I can even think about starting afresh however. A Claro Walnut/redwood cutaway OM is the front-runner at this stage, but I also have a magnificent Engelmann top tempting me from the back room. Decisions, decisions!
Old 07-19-2010, 06:44 AM

Very very schweet

Olson Brazilian Dread #1325
Olson Brazilian SJ #1350
Olson Tiger Myrtle Dread #1355
Olson Brazilian Jumbo #1351
Olson 12-string Jumbo (one of only a few)
Martin D-42 Johnny Cash #51/200 (only 80 made)
And a few others

Quite a few limited edition and rare Martins
-----------------

http://www.kekomusic.com
Old 07-19-2010, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhistlingFish View Post
Pat, mesa and Mark, thanks for the positive comments. If there's an up side to my dismal rate of production, it's that stringing up a newly completed guitar is a truly momentous and hugely rewarding event!

Thanks so much Rich. Just contemplating the different wood species gets the juices flowing; the brain immediately kicks into gear concocting the next few instruments. I have an EIR/Engelmann OM and an insanely figured Claro Walnut/Sitka 000 to complete over the next few months before I can even think about starting afresh however. A Claro Walnut/redwood cutaway OM is the front-runner at this stage, but I also have a magnificent Engelmann top tempting me from the back room. Decisions, decisions!
Any sound bytes............hint!

Old 07-19-2010, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
Any sound bytes............hint!
Rich, at some point I need to find someone with musical skills who is willing to record some demos on my behalf. Next time you're in the neighborhood....hint!
Old 07-19-2010, 07:14 AM

very aesthetically pleasing Pete.....especially the headstock !!!!
Old 07-19-2010, 07:21 AM

Actually....a trip to Austrailia and New Zealand is on our "must vacations" list, my father traveled the world in the US Navy and Austrailia was his favorite place on our little planet, I will make it there this decade.....

I will be more than happy to record any of your guitars here no charge....

I really do like your sense of aesthetics and choice of woods, best of luck to you!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop