The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 08-29-2009, 07:59 PM

Default Mandolin for traveling?

I do a certain amount of traveling for business and I've been thinking about a CA Cargo. I actually like the sound and how they play. The issue is they are a little more than what I want to pay. I had a friend suggest I get a mandolin. They are small enough that it would be easy to travel with.

I keep trying to decide whether it is a good idea or a bad idea. Here is how I measure it:

Good
It would be a good way to learn to play mandolin (I have some interest)
It travels well
It would let me continue to work on picking a fingering

Bad
It is not a guitar
The neck is different
The fingering for chords are totally different
Picking is different

Any thoughts on this?

Jack

1975 Mossman Great
1995 Taylor LKSM-12
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GC
2008 Applegate C Nylon Crossover
Fender Stratocaster - Eric Johnson Model
Nyberg Cittern
2011 Eastman AC508M
2012 Epiphone ES339
Old 08-29-2009, 08:04 PM

I think for your purpose, if a travel guitar is not sufficient then look towards a Tenor or Baritone uke. The fingerings are far more similar, given that they are tuned to the same interval as strings 1-4 on a guitar. Tenor, GCEA. Baritone, DGBE.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:09 PM

I have a Breedlove mando that goes with me on my business trips. I really like having the time to spend on the mando, as I normally gravitate towards the guitar when at home.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:16 PM

A mandolin won't replace a guitar but they can be very fun to play.
If you have an interest, then get a cheaper mandolin and get started.
Kentucky brand mandolins are a good place to start.
They have some nice all solid wood models for a great price.
I like them over a lot of other imports.
Recording King also makes great mandolins but they are a little more money.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:10 AM

On non gig related trips I've been taking a Tacoma M-1 mandolin and a Gold Tone mini cripple creek banjo along by carefully packing them in along with clothes, etc. in a large Samsonite hard shell suitcase. It's worked out well for about a half dozen trips in the last year. Not much for guitar chops though, but it sure simplifies things.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:15 AM

I have an Eastman mando I take on some trips... I also have a Larrivee uke and a Baby Taylor. I travel a lot! any of these are fine. Your choice...
Old 08-30-2009, 07:43 AM
Charter Member

I actually have a mandolin that I keep at a relative's house in the northeast so that when I'm traveling up there, I have something to play. It's not the same as a guitar, but as others have said, can be very enjoyable in its own right.

Although easier to manage on a plane than a guitar by a long shot, there's no guarantee that you'll be able to get a mandolin on board without a hassle if a flight is crowded and the plane has little cabin storage space (both of which conditions seem to apply more often these days, especially with fees being charged for checked luggage). Although they're not cheap, the Mix mandolins made by Peter Mix are carbon fiber and are definitely the most road-worthy opotion out there. But if you're not a pretty serious player, you might not be inclined to spend that much on a mandolin intended only for traveling.

I bought my Mid-Missouri mandolin (the company is now called Big Muddy) as a travel instrument but have found that I don't use it very much. It's too good for carrying without caring what happens to it and it's still a hassle on a plane. Even if you get it onboard, you have to worry about someone bashing their 50-pound backpack into it, trying to cram it into the overhead bin that's already 3/4 full. I find that keeping an instrument between my feet is just too much of a hassle on any but the shortest flights.

If I were on the road and came across a must-have instrument, I might put up with this hassle but for me, it's not worth it just to have an instrument along on a trip lasting a few days. On a longer trip involving a larger plane, there are probably fewer concerns with being able to take it on board with reasonable safety, however.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:06 AM

Learning a different instrument will help your guitar playing tremendously. over the years I have acquired a mandolin, banjo, and a dobro...... becoming proficient on these instruments has added something to my guitar playing... i can't put it into words, but... it makes the guitar... easier... don't know why..

I assume it's got something to do with actually me thinking about the music more than "playing guitar"...

for the money.. I've not seen a better mandolin on the market than the Eastman line. They're built as well as Gibson's X,000.00 mandolins..

me
Old 08-30-2009, 08:36 AM

Thanks for the all the feedback. I hadn't thought about a uke, hmmm.

At least it is not a totally crazy idea. May have to go look at some different things.

thanks

Jack

1975 Mossman Great
1995 Taylor LKSM-12
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GC
2008 Applegate C Nylon Crossover
Fender Stratocaster - Eric Johnson Model
Nyberg Cittern
2011 Eastman AC508M
2012 Epiphone ES339
Old 08-30-2009, 08:50 AM

If you haven't seen one, check out a Washburn Rover travel guitar. Very nice, substantial C neck, 1 11/16" nut, 24" scale, and tiny 'hog body w/solid spruce top that has a very sweet tone. Quiet enough for playing in hotel rooms etc., but sounds like a guitar should (as opposed to some other travel guitars, that sound like banjos) Also comes with a very nice rectangular foam/canvas travel case which is designed to fit in an airline overhead. Really nice quality, and you can find them on eBay for $100 to $150. MUCH better than a Martin Backpacker IMHO, which are dreadful to play.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:03 AM

Consider this, please:

http://www.voyageairguitar.com/prodlist2.htm

I got a VAOM06 for a campfire guitar, and it's wonderful.

*everything* is a tone control
Old 08-30-2009, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donh View Post
Consider this, please:

http://www.voyageairguitar.com/prodlist2.htm

I got a VAOM06 for a campfire guitar, and it's wonderful.

Saw Steve Miller in concert a few weeks ago and at one point he was holding an acoustic, fiddling with the heel of the neck, then suddenly it popped and the neck folded forward. Sort of a joke, I guess (he acted like it was a surprise), but it must have been one of those. He popped the neck back in place, and it played in tune. Never seen one before.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments