The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-05-2017, 08:27 PM

Default Roland AC-30, AC-60...no more love?

Been away for a while and just back for a week or two now. I notice a lot of new acoustic amp accolades / mentions but just curious if the old classic Roland AC-30 and AC-60 have fallen by the wayside? If so, why?

The AC was a really popular and well regarded acoustic amp for a long time and not that long ago.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:52 PM

I'm still happy with my AC-33 but you can definitely see its projection limitations compared to all the column-styled PAs that are out. The tone is really good for acoustic guitar + vocals so I'm still gonna keep using it reinforced with a Laney AH4x4 until something much better comes along

Last edited by necrome; 10-05-2017 at 09:05 PM.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrome View Post
I'm still happy with my AC-33 but you can definitely see its projection limitations compared to all the column-styled PAs that are out. The tone is really good for acoustic guitar + vocals so I'm still gonna keep using it reinforced with a Laney AH4x4 until something much better comes along
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, BOSE style systems are the new hot thing but for someone who just needs a compact acoustic amp for small venues I would think the Roland AC fits the bill quite well. And like you said, they have always been known for good tone.
Old 10-14-2017, 07:23 PM

Default New owner

I’ve recently got an AC-33 used and truly enjoy it for the 48v/looper/mic/guitar inputs also came in a case so no worries taking it around. Haven’t tried it on batteries yet but so far it’s doing the job for me.

Last edited by nowgibson; 10-16-2017 at 03:18 PM.
Old 10-15-2017, 06:10 AM

Hi Thumbwrapper.
I have had my AC-33 for about 2 years now.
The Roland acoustic amps don't seem to get a lot of love here, but I still love mine.
I play with a K&K mini in my guitar and my partner sings through the mic. It sounds great. We are just in the back yard, but the reverb works well for us. I was initially worried about the switch with 2 stages for the chorus, but to be honest we were never worried about chorus - use it for a bit of fun but not really an acoustic effect. This amp is clear and transparent. I saw the K&K pure preamp cheap on fleabay and bought it. Guitar sounds better plugged straight in to the amp without the preamp. Yes, for most gigs I doubt it would be loud enough, but for our purposes it is loud enough. Our neighbours like it when we play out the back anyway. Also works great playing music from phone or tablet through aux in when I am in the back yard (sounds better and louder than home stereo).
I have not used the looper as much as I wanted to, but it works well when I have.
If someone is looking for an acoustic amp they should check out this range - sure there is competition in this area but this works well.
Old 10-15-2017, 06:21 AM
Charter Member

Yep, my AC33 is amazing. I have two column setups as well as a full PA and I still love the AC33. I use a RNP preamp for vocals and guitar in front of it and it just explodes with tone.
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's
Old 10-15-2017, 06:45 AM

AC-33 owner here and I really like this amp! I play in a duo and use the AC-33 for practices and small settings. It has a richness and warmth that we really like and it's sound is much larger than its size. It's a huge plus that it will also run on batteries.
Old 10-15-2017, 07:02 AM

I love my AC33, best gear purchase ever and still going strong after many years of weekly use. It sounds great on guitar and vocals, is so portable, and I love the features. Surprisingly loud and great projection for its size. I always run it on batteries. It’s a winner!
Old 11-09-2017, 08:22 AM

Thanks for the replies. I would think the AC-60 would have plenty of punch for small to medium venues.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbwrapper View Post
Thanks for the replies. I would think the AC-60 would have plenty of punch for small to medium venues.
I would characterize it as good spread not a lot of throw. I used an AC-90 for a while and it filled an area well but, if the room had much depth, it didn't throw sound as far into the room and got lost. By comparison, the Fishman Mini I used was smaller yet better as pushing sound out into the room and seeming louder but ultimately did not sound as good to me. Both are gone but I still have a battery powered Roland Cube Street that I like just fine.

I do think the Roland's suffer from being the viewed as old, reliable, outdated looking setups. The AC series has been around for a while now. Definitely not the next big thing thinking. Also I believe Roland amps have a characteristic sound if you will and not everyone prefers Roland's approach to amplifying acoustic.

hunter
Old 11-09-2017, 10:39 AM

I still use my AC-33 when I need portability. Great lil amp.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowgibson View Post
I’ve recently got an AC-33 used and truly enjoy it for the 48v/looper/mic/guitar inputs also came in a case so no worries taking it around. Haven’t tried it on batteries yet but so far it’s doing the job for me.
Yep, this sums it up. I used mine a couple weeks ago as my floor PA and went into it then out to the main PA and it was perfect. Great tone and easy. I use it my house for, as you said, the looper and being able to use both mic and vocals. I do use a "RNP" pre amp first for both my mic and guitar then into the Roland but the tone I get out is perfect.
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's
Old 11-09-2017, 05:40 PM

Use my AC60 as my 'busking' rig. Sits on a stand made from an old BBQ base, running w' an inverter and deep cycle battery. The amp and an old Boss pedalboard works beautifully in any larger open busking situations. Fairs n the like.

Set on a folding trolley as it does weigh a bit, all up about 30 kilos. Will sometimes hook up a little mixer if in a duo situation. simpler and more manoeuvrable than a speaker on a stick. Grab n go.

Kris
Old 05-05-2020, 03:22 PM
Charter Member

I had a Roland AC-30 a few years ago and it was great. Way better than the Marshall AS50d I just acquired.
Old 05-05-2020, 08:29 PM

I got a Roland AC90 and a little Hartke HS1200 1X12 bass combo to plug into the subwoofer out. The transformation of the amps tone with the Hartke is remarkable.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification